RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

• 3 weeks later...

danny as I approached the wire bending I became "chicken" and built a couple of free flight models!! I have bent nearly all of the 12 and 10swg bits but please tell me how to get those acute bends in the cabane joiners? Have I missed a trick and they are thinner wire. Someone please help before I start a different model

Jim A

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps. You might have noticed my recent comparative indisposition after the arm ripping incident. That has caused some re-ordering of events including delaying my eight day motorbike tour in Brittany and the French West coast by two weeks. I got back from that on Friday evening. The arm is healing well and not causing me any inconvenience, so all I need to do now is not repeat the experience and all will be well.

As reported in the thread I finished the main work on the wings a few weeks back, taking quite a bit of care to get the detail on the carbon rod and brass tube wing attachments accurate, it did make quite a lot of extra work but will be worth it. Then I parked it for a bit to try and get in a bit more flying time and also to pay a bit of attention to the experiment with an RCGF 10cc petrol engine in a Hangar 9 Ultra Stik. Now I am back home I can finish that off and then get back onto the Fury.

The next step with that is to sort out the aileron detail and then get onto the cabane and other strut and rigging issues. The airframe is basically built. So I hope to show some progress soon. Because I am going for a camouflaged finish I won’t be occupied with litho-plate detail so that will save some time. Weaving through all of this is my son’s wedding in less than two weeks, so that is going to provide some additional distraction.

Also I’m waiting for news of the prospects for indoor flying at Shawbury, which is due about now I expect. Life goes on.

• 1 month later...

At last I am back working on the Fury. There have been too many distractions over the past few weeks ( and I am away from home all next week as well!!).

The wings have progressed but I still have the ailerons to make and the servos to install. However I decided to complete the cabane and struts before going any further but am having difficulty. Are the strut dimensions as detailed on the drawing correct or do they need adjustment. I think that the rear struts should be longer. Also the jig appears to be too tall by about 5mm. Any advice would be appreciated.

Graham

• 1 month later...

Hi Stuart, they are available, we had a lengthy discussion during the Chipmunk masterclass build about them. The commercial ones are soft soldered and the general consensus was to not trust them. I gave mine a good test and it seemed okay. But to be honest if you can silver solder then make one yourself?

326.jpg

Hope that helps?

The horns Martian is referencing are the fibre glass board parts.

Cheers

Danny

Your advice again Danny. From Sheet 1 of the plans it would seem as if there is an air gap under the fin when it is glued to the fuselage, above the tailplane. Since the tailplane is at a positive incidence of about 4 degrees this might be there so the incidence can be adjusted. However since the fin and tailplane are glued in place it would be difficult to readjust this incidence. Am I right in that there should be an air gap or perhaps I've got it all wrong!

Stuart

Hi Stuart, the Fury has a very clever way of altering the pitch trim. A threaded shaft runs up the rear of the fin post, it is rotated by a cable from the cockpit. the stabiliser front mount pivots, the rear mount is on a bogey fitted to that threaded shaft, as is the lower bracing strut and upper rigging wire. So the wires, braces and stab trailing edge all can go up and down. So really there should be a gap above and below the stab, to allow it to move. Dennis has taken an easier route and mounted the tail-plane in the full down trim position, ie abutted against the fuselage upper longeron.

This stab gaps necessitates the fin also having a clearance to allow the stabs incidence to alter.

So it looks kind of like this:

437.jpg

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Danny

Well that is up to you Andy, you have flown the full size. It is possible the 3 views are drawn with the elevator trim all the way in one direction, which could be misleading. To counter that, nobody has complained about the model flying with excessive trim? When I next see Richard Dalgleish I will ask him if his requires much trim.

That is a real shame Tony, can anything be done to remedy the covering? is it going to alter the way it flies? probably not!

Cheers

Danny