RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

• 1 month later...

Hi Danny.

I have completed the wings so I have started on the fuselage - problem is I am confused about F6. You were good enough to draw up a revised layout for F6 but I see that Andy has fitted the shaped former shown on the plan and Graham LL in his valuable description of his Fury build does not mention any problem with F6.

Hence my dilemma!

Any help appreciated,

Stuart

Hi Stuart, that is excellent news well done. Its not an easy build but quite sattisfying.

How did you get on with the ailerons?

F6 is wrong on the plan, there are however at least two versions floating around, one is a bit better than the other with regards F6.

If you look at the plan the top of the fuselage is a straight line, shown here in Cyan. the tops of F1 - F6 should form a straight line. Try the kit cut F6 and you will see. the width is wrong too BTW

142.jpg

F6 on the plan is completely wrong, mine is still not perfect, and you could tweak it a bit to get it perfect if you so desire.

Let me know how you get on

Everybody else doing okay?

Cheers

Danny

Hi guys.

Ab initio I used the F6, as drawn on the plan, and sheeted the sides. with the bulged sides. After discussing the wrong shape of the fuse I`d cut the sheeting at the line of the side door. Installed the new F6 as drawn by Danny, and fixed the new sheeting.

José Luis

Hi Danny,

Many thanks for the advice on F6, I will 'fettle away' and I'm sure it will fit.

The aileron construction went OK, if somewhat laborious. As you may see from the photo I fitted a 1.5mm carbon rod to act as the shaft for the hinges, threaded through a v-cut in the back of the 1/2 inch balsa curved shrouds. To ensure correct alignment of the aileron with the wing the rod was threaded before I glued the hinges in place. Any ideas about securing the outboard end of it will be welcome!

As you can see I went to town on the wing servos, having experienced too much 'chatter' from some cheaper makes.

Following Andy's good example I will fit webs to the wing spars, particularly as they are of balsa.

Cheers, Stuart

img_0037.jpg

Stuart this picture has been nagging at me. It also encouraged me to take another look at the hinging on mine. I could nor get the robarts to allign so reverted back to the glass hinges. They have worked out allright, but took a fair bit of fettling

The thing that has been gnawing away at me is the hingeline being outside the wing trailing edge, it shouldn't be?

150.jpg

As long as the gaps work, and it hinges freely then there is no issue You are doing really well though, very impressed.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks for your comments Danny. The hinge line actually isn't outside the trailing edge, what you are seeing is the slightly curved carbon rod external to the wingtip. When the wing is finally covered this will be cut off and 'tacked' to S2 where it lies in a V-groove.

The ailerons do hinge freely and the gaps look OK.

Stuart

Okay guys, as usual I have done something different again.

My two rods com in from either end and I have drilled S1 or is it S2? anyway the rod passes through the tip and links two hinges. Another rod passes through holes in the root ribs to link the holes in the inboard two hinges. This allows me to pull the rods out to remove the aileron. 90 degree bends at the end allows me to dig them out of the covered model in an emergency.

Otherwise what you have done is excellent

Cheers

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing a bit of research regarding wing-rigging accessories. It maybe of interest to some members of the gang...

I found the following:

1. Prime-Miniatures (www.prime-miniatures.co.uk) for:

shackles, turnbuckles, eyebolts, Al swaging ferrules, miniature 7x7 stainless steel wire rope, etc.

2. Model Shop Leeds (www.modelshopleeds.co.uk) for:

Sullivan gold-n-clevises and Dubro 4-40 rigging couplers.

3. Topmodel (French) (www.topmodel.fr) for:

miniature turnbuckles etc.

4. Tecni (www.tecni.uk) for:

double copper swaging ferrules for miniature wire rope

5. Vogelsang Aeroscale (USA) for:

miniature cable thimbles, etc.

I can recommend the Prime-Miniatures steel wire rope; it is a miniature 7x7 construction and surprisingly flexible. I wouldn't think it would need thimbles. The Sullivan clevises are high quality with a safety-lock, but they need the Dubro 4-40 thread couplers (not metric).

Anyway just a thought...

Stuart

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning Danny. I've been meaning to make contact for the past couple of months but now have no excuse. Last week my supply of bits for the Fury came from Sarik and I have made a start on the tail feathers. I should really have delayed a start until I completed my Brain Taylor Mosquito which has been on the go for four years! There have been several builds interspersed with the Mosquito. Every time I get to a difficult bit I get diverted - this time it is the u/c doors creating the hold up.

Anyway, back to the Fury, I have found the many posts since you started very helpful and these together with Andy Sephton's articles in RCM&E have encouraged me to join the build. I know I am several months behind, the rest of you but hope that this will be OK. I do not intend creating my own thread but will continue to enjoy those already there as well as those to come and possible make comment or ask for help from time to time.

I made contact with Ernie a few weeks ago and as a result now have the sheet of etched brass parts from DPD directly.