RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Mon Dieu, how do you all move so fast? Do you not have dishes to wash, teles to fix, and a SWIMBO to keep smiling. As soon as I get sat down with the scalpel, the printer wont print, or theres a dead cat in the garden.

Very impressive stuff. Whats the feeling about the best way to simulate the metal?

ernie

Hi Ernie, luckily for me I am retired and my SWIMBO is very understanding!

Regarding metal for the fuselage, I used Metalcoat from Mick Reeves. Frankly, I am not happy with the result, I should have used some sort of balsa hardener beforehand as any pressure applied in the process results in dents in the balsa.

Richard

Richard, that looks great and the blue rather suits it! Tony is pretty much there as well. I have to admit to being blown a bit of course by some indoor diversions in the shed and I am away from home again until the end of next week. I’ll try to catch up again as soon as I can.

I don’t think Richard should be bothered by dents in the cowling, most full sized planes that I have seen in service have got numerous dents anyway, so it really is true scale!

Danny, I've been looking at the fuselage build. I will be going the electric route as has been my choice over the last few years. I notice that you have extended the basic fuz sides to take the motor bulkhead further forward. Sarik have cut my side as per the plan so I intend using standoffs to mount the motor. This will mean that the battery packs (2No 3S x 5000) will be behind former one. Hopefully that will not upset the balance and require a church roof load of lead up front.

I intended building the wings individually with the centre sections fitted permanently to the fuz. This is the way you are going but Andy S has build the wings complete. Have you any thoughts before I commit?

No building tomorrow as I will be out slope soaring providing the SE breeze holds up. It will not be particularly warm up here in Aberdeen compared to those further south.

Graham

This is one of the 'hardest' aluminium alloys, Ernie.

Aluminium 2024-T351

The aluminum hardness classification of 2024-T351 is one of the hardest aluminum alloys, widely used in the metal industry. This alloy has good formability but poor strength when it is heated; due to this drawback, it cannot be used for welding purposes. Even though it is the hardest of all the aluminum alloys, it wears out naturally and under stress, just like other classes of aluminum. Some of the elements added to this alloy are manganese, magnesium and copper. The 2024-T51 hardness classification is used in applications, including riveting and airplane construction.

Not that sure you need it that hard though...

Is there a reason you're not planning to use a commercial oleo ( HK or Banggood )? ...

Cheers

Chris

Hi McG Well Chris, thats a help....HK have exactly what I want, but I do like the challenge of trying to make one with my very limited lathe skills. Ive already learned quite a bit about grades of alloy from your post

I suppose I prefer to problem solve rather than build with my credit card

ernie