Colin’s Spanish Fury

Still following, Colin.

Due to major changes in my private life, a house move and extreme mobilty issues, I never started my Fury build.

As a matter of fact, I still have my Vicomte 1916 'uncompleted' and even the PSS Sabre Dog on the back burner.

I should follow your example and find my mojo again...

Cheers

Chris

Hi Danny and Martyn. No, I’d already decided that I’d got a reason to finish it properly, seeing where Martyn has got to with his made me realise that I wasn’t too far off. I need to sort out the right paints to use. I want to do the plane that was finished “sand and spinach”, so I need some air-brush practice. I’m also dithering over whether or not to bother with rib-tapes. 

Flying at Fradley ended in May 2021, when HS2 arbitrarily closed off access to the site. The club already had an alternative, but I’m not comfortable with it and was on the verge of giving up. However, I’ve found somewhere else I’m happy with and I’ve been able to get flying again. Hopefully I’ll be at the field later today getting some practice in. Currently focused on my FMS T28 Trojan V4 and resurrected Nigel Hawes 45” Tucano, which with 200W/lb stretches my attention span to the limit, apart from the difficulty in seeing it, particularly from head-on, with those very thin wings!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Graham Donaldson said:

Glad to see you back with the Fury Colin. I did not bother with rib tapes in the end even though I bought some form Mike Reeves. Still getting diverted from the Hurricane build. Built a couple of thermal gliders as well as repairs.  Keep going Colin.

Graham

Hi Graham, nice to hear from you. I should be ashamed, two years behind you on this project! No more excuses now though.

Following a helpful conversation with Danny and considering all options, I decided to contact Phil at Fighter Aces to discuss the possibility of using KlassKote for this project. It’s not cheap, but at the rate I’ve been building this project, it’s an acceptable cost per annum! Hawker Spanish Fury 2 Colours.pdfUsing this excellent plastic kit leaflet, he’s been able to accurately identify all of the colour matches. Unfortunately, he hasn’t got everything in stock and it’s going to be late August. however, we’re away for a couple of weeks in early August and when we get back the house will be in a state of chaos with alterations being done, so that’s probably ok. In the meantime, I can get on with the rest of the finishing detail. Phil sent me photos of a 1/4 scale Fiat Cr42 they have built that has a Regia Aeronautica scheme similar to the Fury. This is one of my favourites, one day - - -! couldn’t resist including it here. 

CR42_242.jpg

CR42_247.jpg

CR42_253.jpg

Edited by Colin Leighfield
  • Like 3

Sorting through next steps, I thought I’d take a look at the bag of wood left over from the build and am a bit alarmed to see that most of it probably should be in the airframe somewhere! Can’t understand it. Ah well!

Next I’ve finally pulled out the box of 3D printed parts that Tony Bennett made. I’m scratching my head to work out where all of that goes! I’ll

trawl back through the build threads and see what I can fathom out. 
A rib tape kit is on its way from Mick Reeves and a 20x10 prop is due to arrive tomorrow. I can sort out the spinner then.

28B088C3-4444-4530-8A39-0DFC2C2A4A82.jpeg

1FBB3304-D3E5-4320-BB12-B9873FEAF14B.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/07/2022 at 19:52, McG 6969 said:

Still following, Colin.

Due to major changes in my private life, a house move and extreme mobilty issues, I never started my Fury build.

As a matter of fact, I still have my Vicomte 1916 'uncompleted' and even the PSS Sabre Dog on the back burner.

I should follow your example and find my mojo again...

Cheers

Chris

Hi again Chris! You previously mentioned that you have a fair bit of information on the (3+1) Spanish Furies. My first choice of finish is the first one here, the other is the possibility if I find the first too difficult. I think the second one is that which was captured and then flown by the Nationalists. All of the illustrations I can find are of the left side of the plane. I could do with pictures of the right side, to be more confident on the camouflage patterns. I wondered if you have any such illustrations in your collection? 

8A3AD684-77A8-4C89-A4DA-AE8DE0969809.jpeg

1B0875EF-FBE1-48B5-A41D-4248F3E1E393.jpeg

As part of the dilemma in resolving paint patterns, here is a model made by David Henyk, on the Wordpress site. It shows the same plane as that in the second of the illustrations in the previous post. The camouflage pattern is different, it makes you wonder how much guessing goes into these things. I might be mistaken in thinking this is the plane captured by the Nationalists, I’m getting confused. This well-made model would provide a good alternative if I’m struggling with the “sand and spinach” option though. 

C14150B4-786B-4898-A62C-F49F80979992.jpeg

C6AB5662-BD1E-4280-980F-043B353E5C0D.jpeg

DBFB8217-D13E-42FF-98DF-2224E6BDFA66.jpeg

AFF8A209-B62D-4D80-AF4A-9EBC4DA8501F.jpeg

6AEC2ECD-A89F-4D79-8E38-F66B3C47911C.jpeg

4EDAC9D4-F416-4236-B2D3-33AFFC572A16.jpeg

CB8CE033-2DB5-4F4B-B6B1-D3ACD15B7C5D.jpeg

CFAD950B-900A-47F0-8964-BECBCDB79187.jpeg

7 hours ago, Colin Leighfield said:

Hi again Chris! You previously mentioned that you have a fair bit of information on the (3+1) Spanish Furies. My first choice of finish is the first one here, the other is the possibility if I find the first too difficult. I think the second one is that which was captured and then flown by the Nationalists. All of the illustrations I can find are of the left side of the plane. I could do with pictures of the right side, to be more confident on the camouflage patterns. I wondered if you have any such illustrations in your collection? 

8A3AD684-77A8-4C89-A4DA-AE8DE0969809.jpeg

1B0875EF-FBE1-48B5-A41D-4248F3E1E393.jpeg

Heya Colin,

I indeed had quite a bit of info regarding the Hispano Suiza Furies. Unfortunately I lost my complete Fury files after a disk crash.

Pure from (old) memory, I would say that 2 of them had a bad outcome and that #4 became a 'phoenix' rebirth out of the two remains. Captured by the 'Nationalists', it became the one (#4) in your previous post. Plenty of details there, isn't it. That would be my primay choice, Chief...

Cheers

Chris