Colin’s Spanish Fury

1 minute ago, McG 6969 said:

Heya Colin,

I indeed had quite a bit of info regarding the Hispano Suiza Furies. Unfortunately I lost my complete Fury files after a disk crash.

Pure from (old) memory, I would say that 2 of them had a bad outcome and that #4 became a 'phoenix' rebirth out of the two remains. Captured by the 'Nationalists', it became the one (#4) in your previous post. Plenty of details there, isn't it. That would be my primay choice, Chief...

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris, I’m thinking that way. Looking at the various illustrations around, it’s likely that there are some limitations on accuracy! I’ll see if I can find where David Henyk got his information from. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jesus Cardin said:

If you like going for a well documented history on the plane as well as several illustrations and drawings, I would suggest going for this book published in Spain by some of the top aviation Spanish historians:

http://books.plasticmodelsfgordon.com

Sure you will not regret getting it!

Many thanks Jesus! I think you are right, I have just ordered it. I hope it arrives soon.

• Like 1

Running out of time before we’re off on holiday, but I’ve done a bit of work on the cockpit and put an instrument panel together using Tony Bennett’s 3D printed parts. There are variations and I don't have specific information on the Spanish plane’s detail. Also I note that Airfix show it as black, not natural aluminium. This will do for starters, I can alter it. Tony included fuselage framing in his printed parts, but the difference in the fuselage structure of the model makes them impossible to use accurately. However, the restricted view inside the cockpit with a pilot in place probably reduces the importance of a lot of detail. I will certainly at least use the guns though. I’ve painted inside with cockpit green, not knowing what else to do. Tony did a nice job of the seat and I’m using that. I’ve emailed David Banks to enquire about a pilot but had no reply yet. A while ago I bought a 3D printer and did a few test pieces, but didn’t persevere. I’m in the process of setting that up properly now, so if necessary, I’ll make my own. Otherwise, it’s a case now of waiting for the book from Spain and the paint from Fighter Aces. 

E89DC20F-6689-409F-9756-FCF03037F5C8.jpeg

BC80FB6C-58DF-49B4-AFF4-9DFD8697C351.jpeg

A4BC9926-381C-433E-B00F-22D83F8A45E7.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin Leighfield said:

I’m wise to the pickpockets and other criminals, I’ll be careful in Rome as well. I like  bouillabaise very much, I’ll try very hard not to fall into it!

I found Rome ok,,,

watch out in Marseilles if the have fish on the menu, it's not the price of the fish but probably the price for 100 grams and you will be paying for the whole fish,,,😱

12 hours ago, Colin Leighfield said:

Thank you Chris and Paul! No, we’re cheating this time and taking a Mediterranean cruise from Southampton. It does include Marseille, Barcelona and Cadiz, but I’m hoping that getting ashore there won’t be too much of a problem! 

If you visit Cadiz, do not forget to ask for "pescaito frito" at any bar you may go into. It is something like your "fish and chips" but at the South Spain style. There we even eat a type of shark we call "cazón".

Wish you to enjoy a good holidays!

4 minutes ago, Jesus Cardin said:

If you visit Cadiz, do not forget to ask for "pescaito frito" at any bar you may go into. It is something like your "fish and chips" but at the South Spain style. There we even eat a type of shark we call "cazón".

Wish you to enjoy a good holidays!

Thank you again for the advice Paul! 

• 3 weeks later...

Just got home today and amongst all the post was the book recommended by Jesus Cardin, thank you Jesus. Everything that I need, a few photos here as examples.  Tony B’s 3D printed Vickers guns are spot on. I’ve decided that the “sand and spinach” finish is a step too far for me, so I’m going for the camouflaged finish on the plane captured and operated by the Nationalists, which I think is interesting in it’s own right. 

DB164E87-14B2-43AF-AB8C-1871AEDB132E.jpeg

C72B8962-5587-4522-8435-835BF3EA4B38.jpeg

653E5803-230E-401F-B5B7-884678527A12.jpeg

3A882668-549E-4E64-A41D-CD39505A4C67.jpeg

091B616A-02BF-4F06-9204-5DEC301C9605.jpeg

397018E8-6A4B-4192-8303-BC7BA1BB932C.jpeg

14ECF497-058D-4E6E-881B-8284863A98E1.jpeg

7D6B35D2-FA9B-4E46-BB70-DAF703E8795D.jpeg

EB289DED-1AF7-4A7D-914E-64B29FF285B2.jpeg

51257CCC-9C67-4656-B0C7-FA9287C0FFFD.jpeg

B53C941D-5F10-456E-8C33-8A7FE186349B.jpeg

• Like 3

Happy you like the book!

You must know author J.A. Guerrero is a great expert and a real myth among Spanish aviation fans. He is writing aviation books and articles since the early 70s and, in fact, my first planes books are from him. I still keep them.

Being both from Seville, I have never personally met him and even when his dad and my dad were work colleagues!

• Like 1

It’s interesting to know that, thank you Jesus. We’re in Spain a lot, have a place in Calpe, and although I don’t speak Spanish, I understand it quite well, so can read the book without much difficulty. Looking at it, I’ve noticed the oil-cooler in front of the radiator for the first time, so I will make and fit that. 
We were in Cadiz on Wednesday for a few hours, with a cruise, not far from Seville, but we didn’t visit it because we had a week there a few years ago. That’s a wonderful city.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your words about my country! I really appreciate them.

I have travelled a lot but never been in UK.. and I have a very good Spanish friend working in Oracle in London since 15 years ago! Also an avid R/C flyer, always asks me to go there from Spring to Autumn so we may visit real planes flying exhibitions as well as some model plane ones and, of course, RAF Hendon and the Royal Imperial museums but due to some reason or other it has proved impossible up to now. Sure some day....!

Also for you knowing about J.A.Guerrero he was the first aviation historian to write that Messerschmitt 109G sent from nazi Germany to Spain during WWII didn´t included engines nor tails as it had always been planned them to be powered by a Hispano Suiza engine made here that turned opposite to the Daimler Benz so that profiled tails needed being symmetrical to the original manufactured in Germany. Till then, the early 70s, all historians kept that they were not supplied due to war shortcomings.... today Mr. Guerrero theory is the one generally accepted.

Instrument panel fitted. As mentioned previously, interior detail won’t be very visible in there! Vickers guns assembled, I need to mix a suitable colour. Perhaps black with a bit of silver mixed in. Looking at previous build threads, the length of gun barrel in the gun channels is 60mm, so I probably need to cut them appropriately. Thinking about how to ensure that they line up with the breeches inside the cockpit. I note they are fitted with the cocking levers inboard.

84892F93-8DAE-4657-A769-C3B065BE7517.jpeg

E2A87EF3-D007-4BE7-9BA7-8101BEBEEF7E.jpeg

• Like 4

coming along really well Colin , Re the guns only the barrel will be visible in the trough all the rest is in the cockpit unless you propose to drill through the cockpit which may not be easy now you have fitted the panel . My gun barrels are different to yours quite a few experiments were tried the first in use used the vickers machine gun with the water jacket still in place but the plugs remove then the barrels were lightened until your version with modified barrel jacket.

• Like 1

Thanks Martian. I’m going to cut the barrels of at 60mm and fit them into the troughs, then fit the breeches inside the cockpit, lined up with the barrels, either side of the panel with the cocking handles and spent cartridge chutes inboard. Had a few minutes tonight and I mixed some Matt black with a bit of silver, for a “gun-metal” finish. Should look ok (I hope). 

7B734398-01E7-4937-980F-AC09DF87A888.jpeg

• Like 2