Welcome to RCM&E's new forum!

A couple of tweaks: 

Just to let everyone know that post editing time has been extended to 20 minutes. That should hopefully be enough time to correct errors while not running the risk of throwing threads out of kilter down the line.

We've removed the limit on 'likes' too.

It has been a hectic 24 hours or so and we're grateful for all the feedback, suggestions and encouragement.   

• Like 3

18 hours ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

A couple of tweaks: 

Just to let everyone know that post editing time has been extended to 20 minutes. That should hopefully be enough time to correct errors while not running the risk of throwing threads out of kilter down the line.

We've removed the limit on 'likes' too.

It has been a hectic 24 hours or so and we're grateful for all the feedback, suggestions and encouragement.   

Well done and thanks for your efforts to you and all of the team, I know how stressful this sort of thing can be and how hard to deal with miriad of requests for tweaks. 

That's not something I'm aware of in any forum I've come across.  It smacks of censorship to me!

A PM to the moderators with any concerns (whether from the originator or not) has always been the way.  Short of wandering off topic, I see little justification for an OP to be able to influence the content of a thread.

• Like 1

Moderation is a form of censorship Martin!

Offence is a subjective area. I've reported comments before which I have found offensive for various reasons and been told that they are okay according to whoever has handled the report but I still found them offensive.  Why shouldn't I be able delete them from a thread I started? I don't wish to see political feet stamping or snarky remarks so I'd like to be able to delete them before they flourish, the mods have stated that they can't read every post so rely on reports, this would make your job easier.

Edited by Phil McCavity

Absolutely right Phil, but posts are only moderated, unless grossly offensive or obviously illegal, after thought and discussion between the mods.  Allowing an OP the facility to simply delete or modify a post because they disagree with its content would lead to unrest at least and anarchy at worst!

The moderation system is the way chosen by the owners of the site and all users have to accept that views, within the bounds of legal constrictions and common decency, will sometimes conflict.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll back Martin by also suggesting that the sort of facility requested is very unlikely to be available in a forum package like this. I don't know that, but I'd be very surprised. If that's the case, then the question is moot anyway. 

While we're taking on board all suggestions, in practice we're dealing with an established software package that has some degree of tweaking available by switching features on and off. We don't actually know what those are, in detail, either.

What we don't have is a team of coders sat in a dark office ready to make things exactly how we'd like it. 

I've said elsewhere that I'm absolutely amazed that so much of the old forum was able to be saved. 

Keep the suggestions coming though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

That's not something I'm aware of in any forum I've come across.  It smacks of censorship to me!

A PM to the moderators with any concerns (whether from the originator or not) has always been the way.  Short of wandering off topic, I see little justification for an OP to be able to influence the content of a thread.

It would be a terrible idea. In fact, apart from build logs, the idea that there is some sort of ownership of the content of a thread which would result in some form of control being be granted to the poster who started the thread is not a good one.

The syntax in which the notifications are listed in this forum "So and so replied to Joe Blogg's thread" gives the wrong impression IMO. Once a started thread has been replied to it becomes a community resource, not one owned by the thread started. It would be more useful to state that "So and so replied to Joe Soap's post in the I/C Ornithopters thread".

Just because you don't like it it doesn't make it a "terrible idea", you've already given an example where it could be a benefit.

Why shouldn't we know who started the thread? We did in the old forum and nobody complained about it then, what's changed? The right to be forgotten under GDPR suggests that ownership of the resource does fall to the individual, otherwise you would not be able to request its removal. Other "terrible ideas" have been inherited with this new forum but they're unable or unlikely to be changed, the tracking of activity is a magnitude above what it was and it's very easy to see patterns emerging that are not good for the forum.

2 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

I didn't say that it shouldn't say who started the thread. Every forum I've ever used says who started the thread,. I said that the notion of granting control of the content of a thread to the thread starter would be a terrible idea.

......and then gave an example where it could work.

6 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

As regards the right to be forgotten under GDPR that's a great practical example, where in this forum the label Former Member is applied where their posts have been removed when members depart, whilst other posters posts in those threads remain.

Correct and you suggested that the content of the thread is a community resource which is not so as individual posts can be removed by individuals.

2 minutes ago, Phil McCavity said:

Correct and you suggested that the content of the thread is a community resource which is not so as individual posts can be removed by individuals.

I suggested that the thread is a community resource. The removal of a thread starter's posts should not result in the removal of the other posts in that thread and, so far as I am aware, they do not.

The notion proposed, where the thread starter has control over the content of a thread, and is able to remove the posts of other posters in that thread, merely because they started the thread is a bad idea. There are circumstances where it might be considered appropriate - such as a personal blog on one's own profile page or blog page - but not in the open discussion fora.