Site Problems?

I dont want to sound ungrateful, but what has been improved by the software/site updates.I've lost my PM's, my profile is incorrect.Difficulty in logging in. Just personal things for me.At the moment I am still feeling rather lost, and dont know where to go or what to do.Rather fruastrated at not being able to navigate around, longing for something I knew how to use.Get fed up and log out .

Thank you for your efforts but whats better for the rank and file.So as to give me reason to keep trying

Bas

Hi Basil

I think the main benefit is that we have a forum on a modern, supported platform that is secure and can have future developments. At some point, the old forum would have either just stopped working, or would have started to have major issues resulting in extended downtime...... worst case scenario could have been total loss.

Think we just need to stick with it until it becomes as familiar as the old forum.

GG

(former IT professional in finance industry)

• Like 1

Using Google to find items in the forum. 

If I Google 'Bowman Spatman modelflying' google comes up with a list of relevant links. However, if I then click on 'The Worst Plane you ever had' it used to take you to the relevant page on the forum but not any more. Any ideas why? 

In the case of 'Bowman Spatman' the new search bar works perfectly I am pleased to say, so google is not needed in this instance but that is not always the case, so it would be nice to be able to google to find what you are looking for on the forum too.  

854834642_ScreenShot2021-02-14at09_02_03.thumb.png.61763e67c2c81b2dde4e3c75819672c6.png

So this is what you get if you click on the google link:-

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 09.39.44.pngA further question:- How do I make the images of these screenshots smaller as they don't need to be this big, it is just the way they appear. I have seen other posters put a box round the relevant item and talking about 'right clicking'. My Mac doesn't right click! 

Edited by Piers Bowlan

I believe that Google is giving us results from when it scoured the internet before our forum change. So the links it's coming up with are pointing at the old site, which isn't there. 

If a historical link does bring up a page, it must be a (Google probably) cached copy. 

These will diminish over a short period, I'd hope.

Thank you Chris, that makes sense as I am able to Google other model names and the links to the Sarik Hobbies site, for instance, works but not the links to the Modelflying forum. I hope you are right and this is not a permanent problem and it sorts itself out soon. Most of the teething problems seem to have been sorted thanks to the teams hard work.

I can't remember how I logged in GrumpyGnome as I made many attempts when the new site opened. If your search doesn't work on the site perhaps if you log-out and then log-in again, that might sort the problem?

Piers,

Like you I had all sorts of problems to login to start with.

Then all the issues disappeared.

I had a lot of help from David Ashby and assumed he had done something but thinking back there was a coincidence.

I changed my password strength to strong.

After that no problems, all works as it should.

Coincidence?

1 hour ago, Chris Bott - Moderator said:

Is this actually a problem, Cymaz? I can ask the question but would probably put a low priority on them looking at it, unless it's causing an issue.

Not a major issue, Martin M was asking as well, I tried to delete them but I could see no way around it. Sorry to bother you about it.....you mods must be doing your best, thanks for all the patience 

17 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I managed to find out how to delete a picture....  open it and there is a 'gear wheel' top right, with a Delete option

GG

That's new and works.

Thanks GG

Also once deleted they are still in the original post.

Edited by EarlyBird
More info added

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Hi Piers

Interesting you can search successfully as I have just reported an issue (verified by a third party) that search is not working..... wonder if it matters how you logged in - i.e. from Home page or forum.... 

GG

We’ve discovered that a search needs a minimum of 4 characters e.g. search for model or mode and you’ll get results but search for mod and you’ll get 0 results found. Changing the minimum number of characters doesn’t appear to be a straightforward selection option so we’ll check with the developers. 

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Hi Piers

Interesting you can search successfully as I have just reported an issue (verified by a third party) that search is not working..... wonder if it matters how you logged in - i.e. from Home page or forum.... 

GG

We’ve discovered that a search needs a minimum of 4 characters e.g. search for model or mode and you’ll get results but search for mod and you’ll get 0 results found. It doesn’t appear to be a straightforward selection option so we’ll check with the developers. 

23 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

We’ve discovered that a search needs a minimum of 4 characters e.g. search for model or mode and you’ll get results but search for mod and you’ll get 0 results found. Changing the minimum number of characters doesn’t appear to be a straightforward selection option so we’ll check with the developers. 

Also search for "NGH GT9 Pro" gives no results because all words a 3 characters.

Interesting

Well I think so?