Site Problems?

32 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I beg to differ there are still regular updates to the security aspect of Win 7 and still the occasional style/performance update. MS just don't want to tell anyone about this so they can sell newer O/S.

Microsoft Security Essentials updates aren't Windows 7 operating system updates. Security Essentials is Microsoft anti-virus software.

The last actual Win7 update I had was this:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664)

.... but I did have this security update:

2019-09 Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4474419)

..... and I have had half a dozen or so malicious software removal tool updates since then including this one today.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - v5.94 (KB890830)

I am reporting two problems.

Cannot Insert image from URL
I just tried to use the Other Media drop down menu in the submit reply dialogue. Linking to an image failed, rotating circle for a few minutes then nothing happens.

Load more activity
When looking for this thread to report the image problem I first used Load more activity. As reported above, it just looked at me with greyed out screen and rotating circle, then message; sorry there was an error loading more activity.

I am using Firefox 93.0

Chris, thanks for the speedy reply. Regarding images, the site hosting the images is my own web space. This is how I have always linked images on forums, including this one. The most recent instance I see in my posting history here is;

Photo in second post. So it used to work, and the previously linked image still displays.

Regarding Load more activity, the error message came from the forum web server, not my browser, so is a forum issue. The message was only displayed briefly, with no click required to acknowledge it. You could easily miss it.

I think there is a problem with the forum.

I wondered about secure HTTP myself. My web server supports it, i.e. I have certificates in place. I actually tried to link to my image multiple times, both with http and https. It failed in the same way each time, no response. I never got any message back.

The forum is not giving consistent responses to you and me.

Edited to add, saving this reply took multiple minutes waiting for the server to react.

(I am popping out, so will not post again for a couple of hours).

Edited by Martin_K
More Information

I tried deleting modelflying.co.uk browser cookies, 14 of. That made no difference. I tried loading an image from bbc.co.uk. That did not work either.

I then moved to a different PC, old laptop instead of current desktop - but with the same version of Firefox. Insert image from URL worked as expected.

One test does not prove cause and effect and I am not going to spend any more time on this at the moment. Something is wrong. If I subsequently work out what I will post again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am increasingly convinced there is a problem with the forum. I have tried posting from different PC's and get a consistent response. After clicking 'Submit Reply', a long delay with 'Saving' greyed out but nothing apparently happening, then another long delay while the browser shows it's 'wait for it' indication, then control comes back to the user interface.

This slower than previous response over the last few weeks.

3 hours ago, Martin_K said:

I am increasingly convinced there is a problem with the forum. I have tried posting from different PC's and get a consistent response. After clicking 'Submit Reply', a long delay with 'Saving' greyed out but nothing apparently happening, then another long delay while the browser shows it's 'wait for it' indication, then control comes back to the user interface.

This slower than previous response over the last few weeks.

Google

Free upload/download Speed Test Martin

To check your modem is up to it

Denis, browsing speed of this, and any other web site, is not a problem. Likewise speed of data upload to other websites is good. My issue here is specifically with posting. My current assumption is this is a server side issue, not client, waiting for the server to process the request. Given the motivation I could run a network sniffer to capture packets between me and the forum and look at the timings. For the moment, that is far too much effort. I simply report my experience. If the forum operators are happy with their server stats (assuming such things are available) and most users are happy, then O.K.

Edited to add, about 3 minutes from clicking submit to first draft of this post appearing. My internet provider is BT.

Edited by Martin_K
Confirming problem is current

20 minutes ago, Martin_K said:

Denis, browsing speed of this, and any other web site, is not a problem. Likewise speed of data upload to other websites is good. My issue here is specifically with posting. My current assumption is this is a server side issue, not client, waiting for the server to process the request. Given the motivation I could run a network sniffer to capture packets between me and the forum and look at the timings. For the moment, that is far too much effort. I simply report my experience. If the forum operators are happy with their server stats (assuming such things are available) and most users are happy, then O.K.

Edited to add, about 3 minutes from clicking submit to first draft of this post appearing. My internet provider is BT.

The Speed Test

Will Text your Upload Speed

Not just browsing speed

It will Test

How slow your modem is operating on your road.

Martin,

I had exactly the problem you describe a few weeks ago and only on this site. I tried various things like clearing cookies which didn't work but it eventually cured itself, I'm not sure how.

ETA I just looked back at my original post on this subject and I'd forgotten I'd written this...

If having trouble with this site when using Firefox, I recommend running in troubleshooter mode from the Help tab. When I did this and came back to normal mode it seemed to clear up the issues I had.

Edited by Andy Stephenson