Logging on to the new site and forum - important to know

It has been a busy day here and, as is often the case, we've discovered something too. 

Essentially if you log on to the forum direct then your old log-in details will be fine. ie. your email and password. 

If you log into the home page first then you'll need your site user name - in my case 'David Ashby - Moderator'. Your email address won't work on the home page. Having logged into the home page you'll then need to log in again separately into the forum using your old forum log-on details. 

A fix is in preparation but, for now, please be aware. 

I managed to log in after a few trials and tribulations so all is well on thet front. However, I can't find any photo albums or photos that I had before the changeover; seems they've all disappeared into the ether unless I'm missing something which is quite possible. Please could someone check this for me?

Looking around the new site I can't find anything along the lines of "Latest posts" which was my main go to when logging into the site. Has it gone or is it my stupidity?  

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, 34046 said:

Tried user name and password - no good 

Tried e-mail and password - no good 

Tried new account  - and thankfully it worked.

Not at all impressed with this new set up at present 

Bill

Me too really fed up have to keep resetting password sometimes will log in sometimes not. Had enough will find a better forum!!

51 minutes ago, Jeffrey Cottrell 2 said:

Hi Guys

Had the same problem myself, and have to say thanks to David Ashby, who replied to my e-mail very promptly and explained about logging in on the forum page rather than the home page.

So, now I'm in and starting to get a handle on things.

Happy days

Jeff

Glad you're getting sorted Jeff, had an issue or two myself. ?

3 minutes ago, Stephen Jones said:

Finding this new site a royal pain.

How can i view my pictures that are already on here other than looking through my previous posts. ?

If i wanted to post one of my existing pictures in a post how would i do it i can not find them. ?

I made a new alBUM and it times out stopping me editing text on the pictures.

See here for finding your old photos Steve:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris Bott - Moderator said:

This may seem like a flippant question, Stephen, but why do you need them in albums?

Photos that were already in threads are still in those threads.

New photos that you wish to post don't need to be in albums. Just upload them direct into the thread.

I really agree with this.  The old site was the only forum I know of which not only had 'albums' but you were forced to go through the tedium of first uploading photos to the album, then copying them into your actual post!

Now, if one want to post a picture in a thread, it takes only a trice!  Why would one also then want an album?

10 hours ago, Chris Bott - Moderator said:

This may seem like a flippant question, Stephen, but why do you need them in albums?

Photos that were already in therads are still in those threads.

New photos that you wish to post don't need to be in albums. Just upload them direct into the thread.

That is a reasonable question, so my answer is that I mostly post photos in answer to peoples' questions and since the same questions get asked again and again over the years I often re-use a photo. If it is in an album I know where to find it, but if I have to find it again on my computer it coud take me a long time so I might not bother.

The obvious answer is to keep them in a special album on my PC in future, but for now it would be useful to be able to sort my existing 'site photos' into sensible albums.

Not a major issue, just a minor annoyance.

In general I think the new site is great, and I am impressed with the work done by the mods answering all our questions ? 

Dick

Understood, Dickw and that reason/usecase does make sense.

Unfortunately we're going to have to live with what we ended up with.
However, you can now make new albums and put new photos in them, that facility isn't missing.

The old forum frontend and database was completely bespoke and was designed by a single person who I believe has been out of contact for some time. There was no documentation either, so I understand.

So the fact that we have the vast majority of everything ever posted there, is, in my opinion, absolutely remarkable. 
The alternatives to where we've ended up don't bear thinking about and I'm not sure how long the old one could have been kept going either.