Logging on to the new site and forum - important to know

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it has been a while since trying to navigate the new forum.  My Tablet couldn't do it and just exhausted its battery in record time trying to do it.... Navigation was slow and the device froze up at the slightest hurdle. 

My mobile phone (a modern one) also struggled. 

So I thought I would leave it a while to see if the bugs were ironed out. 

The situation hasn't changed.  Navigation is only possible via my main computer.... and even then the forum can only be accessed via certain routes.  It refuses to work properly going via Internet Explorer. . (No pictures and cannot make replies to posts). 

When logging in, I regularly get "unrecognized username or password" appearing on the screen. But I keep stabbing away until it decides it does actually recognise my user name and password....!! .... yawn. 

Sometimes, but not every time, I also have to login (again) when I make a post. . It doesn't make for a pleasant experience. It just makes it frustrating and hard work. 

I was hoping that the new forum would be like driving on a clear motorway with a (mythical) silky-smooth surface.  Regrettably, it is like driving on a very narrow, single track lane which is as lumpy as the surface of the Moon, and in the face of oncoming traffic.  

Maybe this is a case of "progress" taking a few steps backwards. ☹️

Hopefully, time will cure the problems....... but I am not holding my breath. 

B.C.

There’s something very odd going on with your devices. I use a laptop, iPad and iPhone regularly and they all work like a dream on the forum.

After shutting down or switching devices I only ever have to log in if I deliberately log out to test something. 

Perhaps let us know what devices you’re having problems with and their firmware versions?

I've just tried IE - it's not a browser that I've used in years (I thought it had been replaced by Edge but it has been supported for several years in tandem although apparently it's being dropped by M$ later this year) and you're right, it doesn't play nicely with the forum. I wonder how many others reporting problems might still be using it but I suspect that most people abandoned it years ago.

I use Firefox mostly but have been using Edge for testing as well as Chrome and Safari.

• 7 months later...

Evening all, 

Over the weekend, our tech guys have been working to improve the log on situation between the main RCM&E site and the forum. Both the magazine website and forums are now configured to use the forums user system for all logins and authentication, so one single location for logging in, resetting passwords, and entering your subscriber ID for reading the archives.

We hope this reduces confusion about previously having to log into two accounts.

Beth 

• Like 4

Thanks Beth

Actually, I am finding it hard to believe I am actually logged on to the forum. All I could do previously was log onto the RCM&E home page. Despite many emails asking for a solution plus a hand-written letter, I could never get to logon to the forum.

I hope this is a proper fix and I can log in again after I logout. I really don't know why there wasn't a common logon for the home page and Forums right from the start.

8 hours ago, Beth Ashby Moderator said:

Evening all, 

Over the weekend, our tech guys have been working to improve the log on situation between the main RCM&E site and the forum. Both the magazine website and forums are now configured to use the forums user system for all logins and authentication, so one single location for logging in, resetting passwords, and entering your subscriber ID for reading the archives.

We hope this reduces confusion about previously having to log into two accounts.

Beth 

Now that is an improvement.  I can now access the RCM&E magazine area.  And..... I have managed to locate an article from many many moons ago (albeit not by the route I expected)!

Pulldowns still don't seem to work on my Surface, irrespective of browser, but I'll try my desktop later.

Many thanks to you and the IT team.

• 2 months later...

It has been almost a year since I last visited this website /forum. 

At that time, I was having some supreme difficulties and issues with the performance of the Site. My mobile devices slowed down, ran hot and drained the batteries in rapid time. 

Additionally, navigating the Site was a nightmare.. ?

.. So I sighed, backed out and, to preserve my sanity, didn't bother to persevere. 

Today, all seems to be going well (so far). ?

Whatever improvements have happened in the last few months, they have definitely made a positive improvement. 

Yayyyyyy. 

I am now looking forward to trawling through some threads.... Lots of catching up to do. 

• Like 4

• 10 months later...