Jumper Transmitters and FRSky.

MarcoF

Why does everybody ignore Jumper?

There were some problems after the initial release phase but they were addressed directly and efficiently by the company. They offer good spec and plenty of features with MPM, colour screen, OTX and Hall gimbals at a very competitive price with a smart looking unit which feels nice in the hand with the addition of gimbal angle adjustment, replacement parts are also cheaper. After the way FrSky acted towards traders who were selling Jumper products next to FrSky products I will find it morally difficult to justify buying FrSky goods again.

Edited by MarcoF

Maybe "its cheap therefore it must be nasty !"  Its not and i can't wait to try my new T16 on my gliders when Covid allows , some quote feel in the hands mine feels as good or better than my DX8 and its a better screen by far . Time will tell but first impressions are good I paid a little more for T16 than a QX7 a few years ago and it does make that look cheap by comparison . Everyone is bored by Spektrum knocking maybe its Jumpers turn now . Its all personal preference anyway as I don't think anyone has said its a bad radio just don't trust the way its priced .

That's interesting although the Jumper T18 is in the same price bracket as its competitor the Radiomaster TX16, yet the Radiomaster attracts regular praise and recommendations over the Jumper even though they are from the same stable, both 'owners' having worked together on Jumper but split on amicable terms over differences in direction.

Edited by MarcoF
Spelling

On 2/11/2021 at 2:53 PM, MarcoF said:

Why does everybody ignore Jumper?

There were some problems after the initial release phase but they were addressed directly and efficiently by the company. They offer good spec and plenty of features with MPM, colour screen, OTX and Hall gimbals at a very competitive price with a smart looking unit which feels nice in the hand with the addition of gimbal angle adjustment, replacement parts are also cheaper. After the way FrSky acted towards traders who were selling Jumper products next to FrSky products I will find it morally difficult to justify buying FrSky goods again.

I think it is primarily because more than one of their early releases has had issues that needed significant sorting, they seem to like to Beta test their products on early adopters (though Frsky have been guilty of this in the last few years too). They also like to over-promise - case in point, the T-Lite Crossfire support promise when it appears the TX can't actually power the Crossfire module at the required power for those wanting extended range...

Regarding the morals point, yeah Frsky are certainly anti-competitive but I suspect many manufacturers would try and do that if they felt their products were being undermined by "cloned" products. It is highly hypocritical of Frsky though given their own history in that field of manufacturing reverse engineered products...

PS - I own a Frsky Taranis and a Radiomaster T16, so yes, I'm also a hypocrite on this issue... ?

Edited by MattyB

Not strictly true abut Crossfire on the T Lite Matty, Jumper have confirmed that the Sony battery will power the Crossfire (just have to watch the power drain I guess). Looking at the strip down that Painless 360 did in January shows that the build quality is far better than the earlier Jumper products that gave it such a bad name. I’ll know on Monday as I’ve ordered one for my smaller models, still keeping all my other FrSky TXs though!

The ribbon problem didn't manifest itself during the beta testing phase and continued without a problem during the early model 'red badge' T16 until sometime after it when it was discovered that the ribbon was too thin and wasn't making a reliable connection, to their credit Jumper responded by supplying upgraded ribbon cable to retrofit which eliminated the problem. I have the early T16 with the original cables because the general advice is if they are still okay then it's best to leave it. I can't help but view the actions of FrSky as unethical at best, apart from the threats issued to their vendors there's the issue of their influence in the OpenTx team.

Would you recommend Jumper as a serious alternative to Radiomaster Matty and Ron?

Edited by MarcoF

• 3 months later...

Can I bind my T16 wirelessly to another Tx module for wireless trainer? I have seen video where I can use the additional external module to bind to another OpenTx powered transmitter but can it be done to a FrSky module fitted to an old Futaba field force 8?

Yes you can buddy up with it and yes assuming it's a full range receiver, however as the TX is using Open Tx it will be using 1,000 to 2,000 us pulse width wheras your Spectrum is restricted to 80% of that. In the trainer settings he will need to calibrate your TX (centres) then apply 1.25 as a multiplier to get your signals up the same output as his TX all of which is very easy to do.

Marco F

Yes it can and I have done just that.

I used a Delta receiver in a spare rear module case in the back of my T16 Pro and linked that to the Tx via a 3.5mm jack to the top of the Tx case. The slave Tx T9CP super had a Futaba style module fitted.

I used the Delta receiver as it needs to receive V8/D8 coding and output in CPPM from memory. This also gives the option to link to other transmitters except Spektrum, which I built another unit with an Orange receiver in it.

Reception is not an issue as far as I have gone so far but I would recommend the V2 protocol update

If he wants to use his transmitter then that will need to be the buddy and a club DX6 the master, so the plane will have to be set up on the DX6. What receiver has he got in his trainer?

Note the Jumper does seem to have a 3.5mm PPM out plug so you should be able to link it to a DX6 by a standard lead, if the DX6 is one that can handle wireless buddying then he will need to set the Jumper to Spektrum DSMx. In either option he will need to match the channel mapping too.