New Issue CAA Operator Number

Capt Kremen

2 hours ago, kc said:

Surely you need to leave the markings on until they are updated, otherwise you cannot fly those models.   There does not seem to be any sign of new numbers being issued yet does there?

Somewhere it was mentioned that the new marking might be same as old but with a prefix like GBR ( maybe mentioned on BMFA webinar? )  so the old mark may only need a prefix added anyway.  We have to wait and see..

I received my new number on Friday 12 Feb. 

The format of my number is: GBR-OP-XXXNXXNNXNXX  where X is a letter and N is a digit.

And it bears no resemblance to my previous ID.  Other numbers I've seen have letters in positions where I have digits and vice versa, so the format of the 12 characters after the GBR-OP might be totally flexible

2 minutes ago, sticky fingers said:

Seems to me that all this hoo ha has been confusing, ambiguous load of codswallop.Nobody in the Aviation beaurocracy seem to know their arm from their bottom,when all we want to do is go to the flying field and fly our little non passenger carriers into the blue clear sky

Had my operators no. the GBR one and all is good ,so far ??

I am still not sure all is completed yet though, if i go on the CAA portal it is showing my operator i.d number but is asking me if i want to take the test to get a flyer i.d? I have an A certificate, surly this should have been sorted by the BMFA and the CAA site show i have one? Also i thought the flyer i.d was valid for 5 years which presumably means my one from last year should still be in use, why is that not showing on the CAA site then?

Edited by martin collins 1
added extra question

The CAA don't keep any records of your BMFA 'A' etc. certificates, so it is a good idea to carry proof of these when flying to prove you are competent if asked.

There is no link between a CAA Flyer ID and the BMFA Certificates, they are completely separate ways of proving competence.

If you had a CAA Flyer ID last year, then that is valid for 3 years so you should still be OK.

When your Operator ID is renewed annually (either via the BMFA or direct with the CAA) you get an email from the CAA confirming your Operator ID and also your Flyer ID if you have one. Have you had that yet?

Dick

Edited by Dickw

26 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

I am still not sure all is completed yet though, if i go on the CAA portal it is showing my operator i.d number but is asking me if i want to take the test to get a flyer i.d? I have an A certificate, surly this should have been sorted by the BMFA and the CAA site show i have one? Also i thought the flyer i.d was valid for 5 years which presumably means my one from last year should still be in use, why is that not showing on the CAA site then?

I just checked my records on the CAA system and it is showing both my Flyer ID and my Operator ID.

My Flyer ID is valid until November 2022 which is 3 years from when I passed the CAA online test.

Are you sure you had a Flyer ID last year - i.e. did you take the CAA on line test?

If you are relying on the BMFA A certificate then there won't be anything on the CAA site about a Flyer ID, but you do need to go on the BMFA membership portal and tick the box to confirm you have read the new CAA "Article 16 Authorisation".

Dick

I have the box ticked on the BMFA portal, i have an A cert so fell no need to take the online test, i had my operator i.d conformation this morning as copied and pasted here, no mention of my flyer i.d which  should be through the BMFA and my A cert.    

Thank you for registering for an operator ID.
Your ID is below.

Next Steps

If you need a flyer ID yourself, you must register and take the test at the My registration area:
https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/my-registration

If you're a BMFA member, you are able to operate under the Article 16 exemption and can either claim grandfather rights from your A certificate or take the BMFA RCC test.

You can get a CAA Flyer ID if you want to but you don't need it as an association member.  The BMFA DO NOT issue a Flyer ID.

You do need to tick the box on the BMFA membership site to CONFIRM THAT YOU UNDERSTAND THE TERMS OF THE ARTICLE 16 EXEMPTION.

If you do not, then I suggest you should take either the CAA test or the RCC.

• Like 1

Nice one Martin.

It makes a nonsense of the system, when the number can be hidden as well as that and yet it is still compliant.

I notice that you have used "Dymo" tape and split it over 2 lines. I have used similar stuff and put the setting on the tallest / widest font it can do. Spread over 2 lines like that the 19 characters (9 on top 10 underneath) take up the exact same space that the old 10 character number did. My new Dymo labels are EXACTLY the same size as my old ones. I'm not sure I can be as inventive as you at placing them but I'll do my best.