New Issue CAA Operator Number

Capt Kremen

22 hours ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

Simon, can you check you Junk/Spam folder, also check on your profile. ?

I hadn't received mine either, which seemed odd, so I went to my ISP and checked the Spam folder there.  There it was along with several other emails which weren't spam at all.  I have no idea what algorithm BT use but it seems very severe.  Mine is dated nearly 2 weeks ago!.  Thanks Andy.

Geoff

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

I hadn't received mine either, which seemed odd, so I went to my ISP and checked the Spam folder there.  There it was along with several other emails which weren't spam at all.  I have no idea what algorithm BT use but it seems very severe.  Mine is dated nearly 2 weeks ago!.  Thanks Andy.

Geoff

BT tends to eat emails for fun.

Just now, Gary Manuel said:

Are you saying that your ISP is censoring your emails? 

What?

In this day and age?

No thanks. I'll censor my own emails at my end by setting my own filters in my inbox. They go into my Junk folder, but I can always view them if I want.

Some ISPs are particularly aggressive when it comes to spam detection, BTInternet/BTOpenworld are particulalry aggressive.

It happens a lot to me with my Outlook email address, but not with Talktalk or Gmail addresses. (I find it convenient to have several email addresses)

I use Mozilla Thunderbird as my email tool/browser on my laptop (instead of MS Outlook or Webmail). I have set Thunderbird to not put anything in Junk/Spam.

Nothing from my gmail or talktalk accounts is ever filtered at all, but I often find emails to my outlook account going to Spam - but it isn't indicated unless I actually open the Spam folder and check! I have exactly the same issue/behaviour on my android phone. I really hate Microsoft's 'we know better than you so we make you do it our way' attitude.

You could complain to the CAA but this year was a one-off hopefully, in that their system has only just gone operational and wasn't integrated with the BMFA renewal system.  I watched the BMFA question time and was quite impressed by the lead CAA representative who seemed to have the right attitude and took a realistic stance between the legislative demands placed on the CAA and the effects of their implementation on model flyers and the wider aviation community.

• Like 2

Yes, they can certainly talk the talk, all very professional. We have put our case to them, and fully understand the issues in rolling out new systems. I just hope (but doubt), somebody realises and takes ownership of the bombardment of e.mails that some if not all. members have endured, There are a plethora of unsolicited spam e.mails floating about at present, and the constant CAA reminders have done them no favours at all. Anyway, moving on.

I know of at least three of our clubs's members who remain without their new numbers and one chap who I spoke to last night asking me about an email  form sent from BMFA requesting confirmation of his correct profile data and for documentary proof that he'd had the old style number issued because of some CAA inconsistencies in their records.  I know that Andy S is sorting through all this today (thanks) and hopefully all will be resolved soon. 

I wouldn't bind betting that there's still quite a number who haven't been keeping up with all this because of other distractions and will realise they have no updated number when we can get back to our fields. 

Edited by Cuban8

With the old one I could put a Dymo sticker on top of the fin where it is covered up by the counter balance in some cases but this lot is too long, even by omitting the GBR-OP bit. The original Dymo ones have faded considerably over time, and not even in sunlight.

Nothing to stop anyone from simply inventing a letter/number combination anyway because who has the facilities to check that it is correct for the operator?

Ah, so from that site you cannot identify someone without their name as I see it. Not much use if your 500gm glider has just attacked an Airbus and they then find it. What a complete waste of time and money for everyone concerned. Not intending to get at the BMFA who have done an excellent job of making the best from a silly idea.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Martin McIntosh said:

Ah, so from that site you cannot identify someone without their name as I see it. Not much use if your 500gm glider has just attacked an Airbus and they then find it. What a complete waste of time and money for everyone concerned. Not intending to get at the BMFA who have done an excellent job of making the best from a silly idea.

I think it's fair to assume that should your Wot4 be found impaled in the fin of an A380 shortly after landing at Heathrow that anyone with a professional interest would be given full details of where to come to take you away with little delay.  The need for the name is only to protect against casual enquiries and possibly nefarious purposes.

• Like 1

Interesting info in the most recent BMFA Youtube video which was a Q&A format with guests from the CAA... The CAA rep seems to state in his answer to Q1 that the the new numbers are compliant with the EU (EASA) standard in contradiction with their written response to an question on that very topic. Then later on at about 30 mins in Dave Phipps points out that the EASA std is different from the UK implementing regulation, causing some confusion amongst the CAA guys! Right hand, left hand... ??

Edited by MattyB

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I know that but there is no file for spam that I can find on Thunderbird or my BT a/c and nothing in deleted files.  Every other email has been found from everyone else, so I can only say it's not been sent.

But I did check the number with the site shown above and it says its mine.

• Like 1

KC, I haven't received an email from neither the BMFA nor the CAA with my OP number, but, if I look at my profile on the BMFA Azolve website then it's there.

I so can't understand why I've not had an email yet as the CAA were quick enough to send emails to tell I hadn't paid them their £9 (mine is paid through the BMFA not directly to the CAA) so they know where to find me ?