Hawker Tempest Sarik part kit B. Taylor PLAN

Eric Robson

Started this evening and already have problems, there are a few pieces which should have been in the kit missing fortunately I have some 1/4" balsa spare. These is for the basic fuselage construction , also the formers 4 and 6 are undersize so I have had to glue some strip to the side to bring them in line with  the ply former F2. Had the parts been included I would have had the sides joined .

InkedDSC_0851[1710]_LI.jpg

DSC_0852[1712].JPG

Day two of the Tempest build, more parts missing and wood shortage, this was ordered before the balsa shortage. there is no 1/4" sheet included but a lot of parts on the plan require it, I have had to make a ply tank base and wing front mounting which are necessary for the basic construction. The plan calls for the rear end to be built as light as possible but the rudder which was fabric covered is 3/4" thick balsa. I am going to make this with a sheet of 1/16" and ribs which should half the weight. The plan was to use a Laser 100 but it may finish up electric as a 5s and the 50/60 motor weigh the same as the Laser.

DSC_0853[1716].JPG

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Phil McCavity said:

Is using strip balsa in the fin assembly and following the fabric covered scale rudder an option?

Not on the plan Phil, but the plan shows the rib positions which are replicated with strips of paper then dope and tissue over. I will use  sheet  1/16" core with 1/16" ribs with 3/8" leading edge and cover with solartex for the rudder. The rudder is a frame with ribs and 1/6" sheet so that will be as plan.  

10 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

But will it sound the same ?

I like the cleanliness of electric Ron , but the down side is taking a load of batteries and getting 6 or 7 mins flight. I have a Tucano with a 40 yr old os40 FS in which I flew last year it was electric powered but the flight times were poor so I put the FS in and got 15 min flights and a great sound. It could do with a 52 fs as It was marginal on take off but once flying it was fine.  

End of day four, still a lot of sanding but I am going to start on the wings today so I can get the wing seating and fairing to the fuselage done when the wings are made. Complained to Sarik about the missing parts but as yet have had no feed back. I think I can finish it with what I have. I did think at one point of using Depron for the elevator but the 3/8" sheet supplied was very light. 

DSC_0858[1726].JPG

DSC_0860[1724].JPG

• Like 4

Thanks Danny, you can call me a plonker again,  when I ordered the kit last June I did not order the wood pack but made one up from the balsa I had in house so the wood shortfall is my fault not Sarik. The parts which are wrong and the missing parts from the laser cut pack I have had an E.mail from Sarik and they are going to address the problem. I did order another Brian Taylor full kit from them for a Corsair.so I will put the confusion down to my age. Slow progress today only 1 outer wing panel made. Last year I drew up and built a Seafury and used the Tempest wing plan with a reduced centre section span I modified the wing plan for retracts as the original has a fixed undercarriage, Due to lockdown the Seafury has had only two flights but the retracts worked well so I am happy to do the same again.

Cheers Eric.

DSC_0764[1206].JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Richard, subject not chosen yet, it will have invasion stripes. The cowl could double up for a coal bucket , starting on the wing centre section now outers are well on they have to be completed after the 3 sections are joined. I had a good conversation today with Barry Atkinson from Sarik. The reason for the two formers being undersize  is that the Brian Taylor plan is out on the plan view they found out on the cad drawing and I checked my plan and it is out. No great thing as it is not built over the plan and they are going to address the problem.  The other problems have been dealt with to my satisfaction. So good feed back from Sarik. Now where is that elusive Asda brown paper?

3 hours ago, Mike Blandford said:

I'm watching with interest. I have one of these I've been building, but other things have stopped progress at present. I've had the plan, cowl and canopy for many years, and got the laser cut parts well pre-Sarik.

I looking in to how to fit retracts.

Mike

Hi Mike, I did not get much done yesterday as the phone never stopped. Have you started on the fuselage?  as the formers 4&6 are not right from Sarik you will see what I had to do at the beginning of the thread also the ply former 2 is slightly over size as I made 4&6 to match this but when I added the side and top formers they were slightly out. Not a big problem I just blended them in. I have started modifying the centre section for retracts, ribs 45&6 need to be cut out as shown I am using 1/4" ply to mount the unit on the Rear piece which fits in the original cut out is 125mm long by 20mm the front piece is 12mm wide rib 3 will be mostly cut away after the top sheet is on as that is the wheel well. the lower main spar has to be removed and taken back I will let you know how much when I see if I can get a 4 inch wheel in The Sea fury has 31/2" wheels.

Not a very clear photo but this is the one I made back in the 1970.s

Cheers Eric.

DSC_0862[1737].JPG

DSC_0861[2305843009216923871] TempestV.jpg

Yes, I've got most of the fuselage assembled. My F4 was narrow but F6 was OK.

I've done the same as you for the rudder, just used 3/32 sheet instead of 1/16.

WIng outer panels are done with top sheeting, ailerons in and hinged, one wing panel has a servo mounted for the aileron, flaps built (4 off!). The centre section is mainly ribs and spars, no sheeting. I stopped when looking into adding the retracts, then got sidetracked while I built a Warbirds Replicas Hurricane. That's been finished for some time, but I've had no chance to fly it.

Mike

3 hours ago, Mike Blandford said:

Yes, I've got most of the fuselage assembled. My F4 was narrow but F6 was OK.

I've done the same as you for the rudder, just used 3/32 sheet instead of 1/16.

WIng outer panels are done with top sheeting, ailerons in and hinged, one wing panel has a servo mounted for the aileron, flaps built (4 off!). The centre section is mainly ribs and spars, no sheeting. I stopped when looking into adding the retracts, then got sidetracked while I built a Warbirds Replicas Hurricane. That's been finished for some time, but I've had no chance to fly it.

Mike

T had no choice in the matter Mike, I had no 3/32" .Another thing turned up tonight ,the wing plate for the fuselage is too short and the holes don't match the plate for the wing also R1 does not have the slot in for the ply plate I found out after it was fitted  , still it was not a big thing and the slot was done in  with a razor saw.

Eric.

After much chopping and changing I have the Retracts where I want them. I had planned to put the rails in a line with the spar as the Seafury but that would limit the rake forward and as the Seafury is mainly depron it will be about half the weight of the Tempest. the wheels now are forward of the leading edge of the wing. I built the wing as per the plan making sure it was sitting on the jig tabs then left it over night next day I cut the notches out for the new main spar 14 mm behind the original. after that was firmly in place I cut through the original spar to create the wheel well. I am leaving the original spar in  as well as the new one  I think  the extra weight will be ok and as only a small portion has been removed I can still put most of the vertical webbing where it should be. Now just got to make some 1/16" ply reinforcing plates for the ribs and try to get the other side to match.

Eric.

DSC_0864[1948].JPG

Finally both retracts fitted and working well, a few more webs to complete then sort the flaps and ailerons out. Some unusually mild weather slowed things up and I got some gardening done.

Eric r.   PS I have not figured out how to turn the picture round

DSC_0868[1979].JPG

Edited by Eric Robson
added some text.

54 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Eric r.   PS I have not figured out how to turn the picture round

Not really any different to the old forum. Edit your photo on your device and either rotate it or if it is already looking correct I just auto adjust the colours then save it. You will then be able to upload with the photo looking as per ‘adjusted’ original. The important thing is that you are making a change to the original photo and then saving it.

I now do this for every photo I take before uploading to any forum!

5091B077-735A-42B7-828D-02B67CDB796E.jpeg

Edited by Ron Gray

Back on the Tempest now that spring has turned to winter again, retracts sorted out and flaps set up and working. I don't know if there is any weight saving over the original which only used 2 servo's for the flaps and ailerons but a lot of rod and bell cranks, Mine has 6 servos in 4micro and 2 mini . I just need to tidy the wiring make the ailerons and sheet the remainder of the underside 

The picture turning went well ,Thanks Ron.

Cheers Eric.

DSC_0877[1993] (2).JPG

• Like 2

Getting the ailerons right took longer than I thought, in between gardening and getting planes ready for flying. They pivot on a rod through brass bushes that anchors in the tip , the first side had to be taken apart as I built it from the underside and when I turned it over it was slightly below the shroud. It would have been easier if it had been straight and not curved at the end. I covered the ailerons with laminating film and primed them as it will be impossible to cover them in situ.  I will be happy if I can get the rest of the plane as good I was going to use brown paper but following Ron's tips I will try the rest of the plane  with film.

DSC_0879[1999].JPG

DSC_0881[2000].JPG

• Like 3

@Eric Robsondon’t forget the all important rubbing down of the lam film, not only does it give a key for the paint but, and this is a nice side effect, it will expose areas where the film has not stuck to the underlying surface (bubbles ‘ ripples will appear) which you can then stick down with a hot (150 degree) iron.

Thanks Danny and Ron, I did rub the film down with some 600 wet or dry, there was a few fine wrinkles which I managed to eliminate. it looked worse than it was before putting the primer on there was a few little marks on the surface of the wood finger nails etc but they did not show after priming. 

• Thanks 1