DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

Certainly that would work Danny but would have preferred to find an appropriate drawing tool with that option. Did ask on the forum some months ago but got a zero response. Not even sure if my cheap low power set up would have the necessary resolution in step size. Certainly works fine cutting out large letters in solarfilm though.  

32 minutes ago, Manish Chandrayan said:

From what I have heard, the issue with laser cutting will be finding correct power setting that will not burn the edges and make them shrink and curl. That is in case cutting any material that shrinks with heat

Agreed, not to mention how to hold the film still during the process, lots of problems, just shows how good an engineer Mick is.

I have searched for how manufacturers cut tape continuously to no avail.

Cheers

Danny

1/4 scale at any length for me please. 

For cutting out letters I simply attach the solarfilm to a cork mat using a combination of double sided tape in the middle and masking tape on each of the sides sufficient to keep the work piece held in tension.

Cutting speed and laser power was established by cutting out small squares on a test piece.

• Like 1

Well I managed to import the file into Inkscape Danny but cant do anything with it in terms from breaking it apart to cut a single tape at a selected width.  Will take a further look in Inkscape to see if it has a distort feature similar to illustrator.

1 hour ago, Andy Joyce said:

Well I managed to import the file into Inkscape Danny but cant do anything with it in terms from breaking it apart to cut a single tape at a selected width.  Will take a further look in Inkscape to see if it has a distort feature similar to illustrator.

I joined them together as the gap between each is the right scale size......

If you want just one line of zig zag for testing I can do that?

1 hour ago, John Minchell said:

Was wondering if pinked edge tapes could be cut on a vinyl cutter like a Silouette Cameo and how that could be done .  IE. how to hold down the solartex or diacov whilst cutting it?

With the plotter cutters you get a tacky stiff carrier sheet, the solartex can be tacked to it. I have done it for logos, just never for pinking. And you need something much, much longer. So you need to make a bigger carrier sheet, maybe from card, plastic sheet would be better.