DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

Well the model is now silver. Not the best spray job I have done, but it will do. Need to get a quality bigger gun. The Iwata is great, but this model was a bit too large to do easily.

791.thumb.jpg.5785f9312e0acc286a7f36beb77851a0.jpg

And I might need another filter for my air scrubber.

Have to wait at least 24 hours before any masking can take place over Klass Kote.

Time to fire up Illustrator and create some artwork and masks.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

Thanks Manish, the really thin Pink-It tapes on the fus are much more subtle but still easily visible. This Auster has been a test bed for lots of ideas I will take forward onto future builds, and some I wont LOLOL.

The registration has been a challenge, nothing like a recognisable font, and seems a bit of a mismatch, the G is a different style completely.

Made worse by not having a decent side view to trace, so I have sort of guesstimated....

792.thumb.JPG.4b6506a454c2c7f38a32792bd47197a0.JPG

Cheers

Danny

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments and the better angled pics, I thought I had scoured the web, clearly not! Now if anybody can find a shot showing the position of the underwing reg, port wing that would be ace. I am just going to scale the fuselage one to fit the space, but it would be nice to get an idea.

So using your info I have this

794.thumb.JPG.f53bb645eb5531a34125f54202eff8e0.JPG

794a.thumb.JPG.fd62dc18fb70ee655edd4f2ef55eceb1.JPG

And of course now I see it on screen the widths look wrong, bottom of U and bottom of J  sheez........

9 minutes ago, cymaz said:

Please do tell more about how you will go about the masks and  paint used and technique.....cheers

What do you want to know? The primer was UPOL P88 sprayed 50/50. Top coat is Klass Kote silver (aluminium).

I will use sheets of paper taped against the masks to shield the silver

Cheers

Danny

So the clear went on this morning before work. Not the best paint job I have ever done, at 30 psi the pressure may have been too much..... But I am happy with the overall look.

806.thumb.jpg.6e9eb874f61c5acfdf1a7262386d1923.jpg

Not much left to do apart from fit the mechanical bits back in, and on that note......

I could do with some help with the fuel plumbing as you know I fly electric normally.

I have three lines, clunk, vent, fill. The vent would normally go to the exhaust for pressure, If I leave the fill plugged and hanging out the bottom of the cowl slightly, how do I know when the tank is full, I wont be able to see the vent/exhaust line, and fuel spilling from the exhaust wont be obvious as the nipple is not low down. Not sure the Saito needs pressure, either.

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Dave, I think because you have a Laser, which doesn't need pressure you have the unused pressure/vent line.

I could add a second vent I suppose to the tank and that could hang out the cowl with the fill line, both plugged for flight.....

Cheers

Danny

Just noticed you have the same tail-wheel assembly Dave, great minds think alike

Looking at your earlier photos, the pressure nipple is at the back of the stack, above the exhaust ports? If fuel spills into the stack then it will drain out from the exhausts showing that the tank is full. Alternatively you could run the (clear) vent pipe around the front of the engine, within sight when viewing through the air intake hole in the chin of the cowl.

• Like 1