DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

Hi chaps, Eric a bent piece of piano wire wouldn't allow the cowl to fit. I want to keep the non scale cowl openings to a minimum. This is the same problem with using a nut driver John.

What I have done is turned down an M3 Allen head screw and used that. This way I only need a tiny hole in the cowl.

833.thumb.jpg.7d46cf1e96f3505f0e13ff6a6abc50dd.jpg

But thanks for the feedback, especially on it needing adjusting. 

John I calculated the exit area of the stock exhaust and then made the new one with the same exit area. I bit un scientific I know but that was my thought process.

Another stainless M3 dome head screw is great to seal the fill line.

Not obvious in the pictures, but I have lifted the tank centreline to be level with the carb needle valve, from what I have read that's where it needs to be, though I wont be doing aeros.

Cheers

Danny

834.jpg

So a pleasant evening setting up the radio, and all is good.

C of G is about right with 1500mAh 2S LiFe Rx pack balanced on the cowl so should be good.

835.thumb.jpg.d2b11647353caa441b67afe85bf0ee5b.jpg

AUW ready to fly, minus fuel. 4.38kg or 9.66lbs

Pretty pleased with that......means the model is eligible for light scale

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 12

A work of art as usual Danny, it's nice to see an I,C, model with everything enclosed. 

Simon, in the past I have made scale models and spent hours on them, I never worried about putting them in the air as I had the pleasure of building them,  I would not like the experience of spending a lot of money on a ready to fly and seeing it crash  on the first flight. 

• Like 3

Thanks Simon and Eric, I have three models that still haven't flown for one reason or another, enthusiasm probably.

Once I have had the pleasure of building the model, flying is a bit of a chore. But with the Auster, the paintwork, mainly the silver has not gone as well as previously, I have some ideas why and will do some testing to prove this. This has meant that I am quite happy to fly it without too much fear, its not likely to be a difficult model to fly, my only concern is that engine, and the first climb out, will I get to safe altitude...... Hopefully yes. Also it will be interesting to see how many of my detail parts stay attached to the model ?

I really regret not making a working undercarriage, this piano wire structure is absolutely rigid, and the model will look stiff on the ground, which will be a shame. But who knows if it fly's well enough and I enjoy it, I can always retro-fit a better working undercarriage.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

It's amazing how un-rigid the undercarriage is on a heavy landing,  I have found the quality of piano wire these days variable. Some I have used recently could be cut with a junior hacksaw, the only way to cut it in years gone used to be with a grinding disc.

I don't know about modern paints but years ago when I was in the motor trade the paint sprayers hated painting metallic colours especially silver as it was difficult to get a uniform finish. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

It's amazing how un-rigid the undercarriage is on a heavy landing,  I have found the quality of piano wire these days variable. Some I have used recently could be cut with a junior hacksaw, the only way to cut it in years gone used to be with a grinding disc.

I don't know about modern paints but years ago when I was in the motor trade the paint sprayers hated painting metallic colours especially silver as it was difficult to get a uniform finish. 

Hi Eric, this undercarriage is made up of three sections of 6mm piano wire soldered into a triangular base, therefore no spring, it is extremely rigid. I would prefer the undercarriage to give or even collapse on a hard landing, If I put this down hard the structure will feel the pain, probably struts and wing mounts.

Its frustrating because I have sprayed Klass Kote silver on my last model, the hawker Fury, and it went on a dream. But you are right metallics can be a mare. Get the pressure and viscosity slightly out and it goes on too dry, which is what has happened here. Usually 1:1:1 is spot on...... several modellers say the same. I have a feeling I instinctively reached for celly thinner and not the official Klass Kote reducer and that's the root of my problem.

I have a Seagull Chipmunk to "re-colour" so we will see.

Cheers

Danny

23 minutes ago, alan p said:

Given all the travails you have encountered still a excellent model to your usual standard. (even though you started as sport scale?)

Thanks Alan, still is only sport scale mind you, but I will feel happier flying this at comps than an ARTF, as much as I love my Black Horse Chippy it isn't the same.

Cheers

Danny

Outstanding work Danny, mine will be nothing like so well-built and finished as yours. I admire your skill, dedication and persistance, three qualities which I do not possess in sufficient quantity to produce a model to this standard. If I were capable of building to this standard, I would be scared to fly it!

Thanks David, The model took time, but all that time was enjoyable. So it owes me nothing. Any flying I get is a bonus.

I have lost models on maiden flights before and the only thing I would say is make sure you have plenty of good pics before you commit aviation, they may be all you are left with.

DSC_4082.thumb.JPG.39a12484e0caa46ac33966ed782cdbea.JPG

I am sure you remember this ill-fated Nijhuis Spitty?

Surprisingly I am not too troubled by this one, and am in fact quite looking forward to flying a four-stroke.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Danny Fenton said:

Thanks David, The model took time, but all that time was enjoyable. So it owes me nothing. Any flying I get is a bonus.

I have lost models on maiden flights before and the only thing I would say is make sure you have plenty of good pics before you commit aviation, they may be all you are left with.

DSC_4082.thumb.JPG.39a12484e0caa46ac33966ed782cdbea.JPG

I am sure you remember this ill-fated Nijhuis Spitty?

Surprisingly I am not too troubled by this one, and am in fact quite looking forward to flying a four-stroke.

Cheers

Danny

Unsurprisingly Danny, I am the comlete polar opposite to you, I never take pictures of my models until they have had their maiden flight!  Taking the picture before the model has flown will surely bring bad luck! ?

• Like 1

Lol. I take pictures before, just in case.  And following the first rebuild!

I get very nervous of flying even my kit-built hacks...far more so than any ARTF (sorry to pollute the thread!)

Danny - you'll love the 4-stroke. Beware of being dragged to the dark side - I've flown my ic powered planes much much more than my electric ones this year.  In fact, I have mothballed half a dozen electrics.......

• Like 2

On 07/06/2022 at 09:20, Danny Fenton said:

Hi Eric, this undercarriage is made up of three sections of 6mm piano wire soldered into a triangular base, therefore no spring, it is extremely rigid. I would prefer the undercarriage to give or even collapse on a hard landing, If I put this down hard the structure will feel the pain, probably struts and wing mounts.

Its frustrating because I have sprayed Klass Kote silver on my last model, the hawker Fury, and it went on a dream. But you are right metallics can be a mare. Get the pressure and viscosity slightly out and it goes on too dry, which is what has happened here. Usually 1:1:1 is spot on...... several modellers say the same. I have a feeling I instinctively reached for celly thinner and not the official Klass Kote reducer and that's the root of my problem.

I have a Seagull Chipmunk to "re-colour" so we will see.

Cheers

Danny

Beautiful build. If you put celly thinner in the Klass Kote, I am surprised it worked at all!

14 minutes ago, John Stainforth said:

Beautiful build. If you put celly thinner in the Klass Kote, I am surprised it worked at all!

Thz John, I had the celly out for cleaning, and when the 1:1:1 was too thick for the Iwata with the larger suction pot, i instinctively sloshed some in. It wasnt intentional. But it did harden, but it could have caused the dry finish.

Cheers

Danny

9 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

Cheers

Danny

Danny, I regularly fly four stroke powered models as well as electric ones. I am always more nervous test flying a new electric model than one powered by a four stroke engine.

You will be fine I'm sure. Look forward to seeing the photos.

• Like 1