DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

8 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

I have read that the kindest way to treat the engine is to start it by hand and bounce the prop blade backwards against compression, so that's what I do.

No idea if that's correct. But makes sense.

Cheers

Danny

It makes good sense, I confess to using the starter too much but what you are doing now is a lot better for the engine and the airframe.

• Like 1

Reverse flicking a prop is great, even better if there’s a spinner that you can just flick with your fingers (obviously not in the case of the Chippy). However as long as there’s no hydraulic lock the use of a starter is fine and should not be detrimental to an engine.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get my ducks in a row, and maiden my Auster, what a pussycat, apart from the stress of waiting for the engine to stop!

Needless to say all went okay. No photographer with me so no in flight pics, will have to sort those out on another day.

Vibrations were not a problem and apart from losing one cowl screw nothing else came loose. 

The flap linkage failed on the taxi back when I was demonstrating full flap which I fortunately didn't use them in flight. Need to beef up that area.

This model floats like you wouldn't believe, and likes a breeze to fly into.

Rolling.JPG.a73750b3434476272b6004c1789be52e.JPG

Thanks for the words of wisdom along the way, what next..........

Cheers

Danny

• Like 9

That looks great Danny, well done.

Having had the opportunity to see your model ‘in the flesh’ a couple of weeks ago at Buckminster, I must say that it looks even better than in the photos.

I’m glad that you are persevering with the four stroke.

Brian.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...