DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

My wife is an artist, so I have access to oils (when she’s out) and I think they would be ok for a pilot in an enclosed cockpit, but they take forever to dry so I’m not sure how good they’d be for my open cockpit application. I’ll do some test pieces and see how it goes.

She’s a very competent portrait painter, but I can’t talk her into painting pilots for me unfortunately.

• Sad 1

If you aren't subscribed to my channel (and why aren't you?) here is the link to the Panel making video ? 38 minutes so if that doesn't put you to sleep nothing will!

Waiting for oil paints to arrive to do the pilot figure, but I did whiz over to Wheelspin and collect some more Tamiya colours, mainly flat flesh as a base for the face and arms.

Cheers

Danny 

2 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

So finished the seats today while waiting for the bloomin oil paint on the pilots to dry. Been three days!

20220203_121500.thumb.jpg.89f922d6dc05df47b26c71eef0aa27bf.jpg

Still getting closer, burgundy and silver are still favorites on the colour scheme

Cheers

Danny

Danny, did you make the seat belts?. If so how did you make the metal hardware?.Impressive.

Bas

14 minutes ago, Basil said:

Danny, did you make the seat belts?. If so how did you make the metal hardware?.Impressive.

Bas

Hi Bas, I have made the metal fittings before, but as this is just for fun, I cheated. 

Over the years I have collected quite a few accesories from the DID Dragon figures, they used to sell for peanuts, harnesses, parachutes etc. In this instance I harvested bits of strap and buckles etc from my dwindling bits box.

551947649_040313BTHurricane6212.thumb.JPG.1c0762cfcc1abb3c699986e1c939e736.JPG

But you can, if you have the inclination, make the metal bits from litho plate.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 1

On 02/10/2021 at 10:31, Basil said:

Danny, what I meant was that its been a long time since your regular posts on this model. I look forward to reading them. If you remember I was building an A09, still at it. Delayed by summer requisits of my good lady.

Bas

Hi Danny, I have been trying to find some text here where you said (I think!) that in the process of using a heat gun you slightly warped the trailing edge of the wing over which the flap will sit. I have done done the same on one wing and wonder what the solution is rather than ripping off all the Ceconote and starting again...?

Thanks

Hi Richard, not sure what warped mine, its not enough to affect it, just that i can see it.

I dont use a heat gun just an iron.

Can i suggest you clamp the trailing edge firmly straight, then add a couple of coats of dope then just leave it, maybe a week?

I was toying with that idea, but shant bother its not much.

Cheers

Danny

1 hour ago, Danny Fenton said:

Hi Richard, not sure what warped mine, its not enough to affect it, just that i can see it.

I dont use a heat gun just an iron.

Can i suggest you clamp the trailing edge firmly straight, then add a couple of coats of dope then just leave it, maybe a week?

I was toying with that idea, but shant bother its not much.

Cheers

Danny

Leaving it for a week should be no problem for you Danny, it will take that long for the oil paint to dry!

Why did you not use acrylic paint it dries much quicker.

Love the cockpit the upholstery, reminds me of an old Riley car I used to own.

13 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Leaving it for a week should be no problem for you Danny, it will take that long for the oil paint to dry!

Why did you not use acrylic paint it dries much quicker.

Love the cockpit the upholstery, reminds me of an old Riley car I used to own.

Thanks very much Danny - however, having slept on it and realising that it has lifted some of the capping strips, I fear that the warp is just too big, so will have to strip, reform and recover...hate having to do things twice!

Richard

3 hours ago, Richard Mallam. said:

Thanks very much Danny - however, having slept on it and realising that it has lifted some of the capping strips, I fear that the warp is just too big, so will have to strip, reform and recover...hate having to do things twice!

Richard

Oh thats not good, sorry if following me has led you astray. Feel bad about it ?

hope the repair isn't too painful, both wings?

Managed a little more, but managed to get really bogged down with learning Fusion 360 this week.

Did a drawing of the throttle quadrant for my Auster, to then realise it needed to be printed in parts, so my poor drawing methodology meant I would have to start again. So I created the part from styrene sheets, rods and some glass headed pins.... as you do.

704.thumb.JPG.35e750524a89de132be54d7329c0d6f5.JPG

707.thumb.JPG.3074028e70c5a9b96926e018665485cd.JPG

Will be glad to escape the cockpit...

Oh I did do a Venturi which a friend is printing ?

705.JPG.403280525e7d747cd534c7d28045be42.JPG

Cheers

Danny

• Like 6