DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

Thanks for confirmation on the Saito needing pressure. The exhaust would fill up a fair bit before it overflowed unfortunately Eric, should have put the nipple at the lowest point with hindsight, and with the price of fuel these days, can't be wasting it!

I like the idea of some part of the line being visible, as its pressure I guess it wont matter if its over-long?

Cheers

Danny

2 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

The exhaust would fill up a fair bit before it overflowed

I don't think it will as the lowest part (s) are the exhaust stubs, you just need to keep an eye on the first (rear stub) for drips.

Regarding the length of the pressure pipe, the length that we are talking about won't make any difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

The exhaust would fill up a fair bit before it overflowed

I don't think it will as the lowest part (s) are the exhaust stubs, you just need to keep an eye on the first (rear stub) for drips. Of course this assumes that you are not over exuberant whilst filling!!!!!

Regarding the length of the pressure pipe, the length that we are talking about won't make any difference.

Edited by Ron Gray
website dropped link!
  • Like 1

Been looking at the tank, and the largest that will fit is a 16 oz DuBro. I had bought a 20 oz, but that's too long and too wide. The 16oz should be perfect.

Question for you petrol heads, what sort of duration can I expect from the 16oz size tank with a Saito 82?

Added the 3D venturi that I drew in Fusion 360, and friend Eric Strefford resin printed for me. It's actually scale for the type, just too big and the wrong colour for Uniform-Juliet, which uses a smaller one. Hey-ho don't tell anybody ?

808.thumb.jpg.ac1c4da61546e6010a6f3bf4c67a356d.jpg

Cheers

Danny

• Like 2

Danny your sport scale is so good you are giving me an inferiority complex.

Not so many rivets as normal but still rather good.

Well done

BTW 12oz tank on a 62 2t gave 15min at full throttle for the friend that maidened my Typhoon when throttle stuck at full chat.

• Like 1

Consider the un-scale like struts, this was probably too much, but was fun to figure out materials.

820.thumb.jpg.42b789cb2fec77166a9d82f189c211ca.jpg

Door handles next, and every Auster seems to have something different. The Pitot was the same, the Sephton Auster pitot was totally different, so I chose to model the one on G-AGTO ?

Cheers

Danny

Continued with bits I had been mulling over for some time. The steps are quite large afairs and I was struggling to get them right. The first attempt, which involved soldering etc went in the bin.

When I looked more closely at the full size I saw that the steps attach to the strut bracket, so I drilled at 45 degrees aft and 45 degrees outboard, the base of the struts, the assemblies were then fed through and CA'd into place. I can alter the angles slightly once the model is assembled to check they "sit" right.

821.thumb.jpg.abd344e4094e110cf58912915f5f5629.jpg

I have subsequently painted the brass airfoil sections silver. The underlying structure is aluminium tube.

Cheers

Danny

• Like 5

I made the door handles from Chemiwood, and made a silicone mold. This means I can make replacements as I can see these are going to get broken off very easily!

824.thumb.jpg.96db2bafda19ae61974f45d518758a7c.jpg

Just a few parts that are already made and painted to fit and the model is all but finished.

I am just left with fitting the tank, engine and the remote glow, as well as a Rx pack and switch.

Unfortunately the first thing I need is the tank. It's been a week and it still hasn't arrived mail order from Inwoods...... Should have accepted the extra £3 in fuel and driven to Wheelspin in Cannock. Ahh well.

Cheers

Danny

Edited by Danny Fenton
  • Like 1

The tank finally arrived so have started to add things to the airframe.

If you IC guys spot anything wrong let me know please?

828.thumb.jpg.d024ab763152b0a47d8c97800e7ee914.jpg

I blanked off the rear pressure nipple hole, it was in a very poor spot and was close to the bulkhead. I re-tapped the exhaust and fitted a pressure nipple half way along the chamber.

I am using a fill line under the rear of the cowl, green tube, it will be blocked off for flight obviously. I will do as suggested and watch for fuel at the rear stub when filling.

I want to fit something in the needle valve adjuster collet to allow a small hole in the cowl to adjust the needle without removing the cowl. I am thinking if I lock in an M3 Allen bolt, then I can use an M3 Allen driver. Though it may be fiddly to find the head?

Do these Saito's need much needle valve adjustment once set up? I hear stories of never touching a Laser needle valve once it's set-up properly? If very little tweaking is needed, I will accept needing cowl removal to adjust on that rare occasion.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny,

I use a piece of wire about 1.5mm diam,  long enough to protrude through the cowl and bend the end over to about 90deg.  in the end of the needle there is a grub screw that holds the wire. I hope you will have enough pressure with all those outlets

Cheers Eric.

Edited by Eric Robson