DB Sport and Scale Auster J1 Autocrat

Danny Fenton

10 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Not sure if there's enough room but a bracket (triangular plate) from the engine mounting lugs directly onto the silencer?

Danny, I know these are not quite the same as your situation, but here are a couple if photos of how I added stabilising brackets to exhausts. Both are Saito engines and both are linked to the engine or the engine mount 

20220806_093314.jpg

20220806_093158.jpg

• Like 2

Seeing  as your motor mounts are integrated as part of the airframe (assuming beech rails)surprised there is that much torsional vibration. 

Do like David's solution though. Stick with it you will get there in the end.👍

Still think you will need a food parcel sent to the flight line to keep you going with the 6oz tank.😉

Hi Colin, the mixture was way to rich, there is possibly not a vibration issue any more. 1hr round trip to go run it has put me off doing any more.

Was hoping to fly the Auster in the scale comp this Wednesday but havent had time to mess with it further.... i will fly my new Chippie instead.

Out of interest what are the symptoms of overheating? I havent run this with the cowl on yet, what should i look out for?

Cheers

Danny

Suddenly stopping in mid air at an unrecoverable altitude ......and I'm not being sarcastic either. A club mate nearly wrote his Stampe off on Saturday like that. After a couple of mins after we got there it still nearly burnt your fingers....

Gradually losing power and engine speed is a good indication

Edited by cymaz
  • Like 1

I think Ron and Cymaz have hit the nail on the head. When I flew this originally, the motor was pretty much right “out of the box”. Later on I decided to tinker with the settings to “improve” it, but leaving it running for too long without realising that it was overheating, lead me to set it up too rich and causing it to run evenly and cut when I throttled up for take-off. I haven’t flown it for a long time, but now that I’m flying again, probably will, because it’s a brilliant flyer. However, next time I’ll set it up with the close fitting radial cowl removed. There’s no question that the FA82 is a good motor, it has a great reputation. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay the final engine runs tonight have proved very successful. There was no significant vibrations and the exhaust is solid.

The idle is low enough that the model doesn't creep, and there is more than enough power. Still a little smoky at full throttle, but I can live with that.

Will probably only put 10oz of fuel in the 16oz tank and try that, see what's left after 5 minute flight. The more fuel the further forward the c of g

More antics in the garden

Next stop the maiden.....

Cheers

Danny

• Like 4