Finished! LS Special

Matt Carlton

After disappearing into obscurity during WW2, the original LS Special was recovered by a group of aviation minded missionaries who found it in a barn they intended to convert to a chapel. The Rev. Blighty Wigglesworth engaged a local interpreter, one Suzuki Vitara, to arrange negotiations with the Shito family and the LS Special was transported back to England onboard a cargo ship with the Reverend and Suzuki Vitara who insisted on accompanying it. Once restored, Suzuki went on to have a successful career in the automotive industry. In memory of Akito Shito's well known catchphrase, the Rev. Wigglesworth registered the LS Special as G-AHSO. It currently resides in the depths of Norfolk in extravagant obscurity, waiting to fly once again.

IMG_20210215_105000.jpg

IMG_20210215_104944.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Well the maiden happened and it is still in one piece so that's something.

I had to curtail it though as it felt really tail heavy and pitch sensitive even though the cg is, if anything, a little ahead of where it should be. 

Two thoughts. 

Too much elevator and a reasonably short coupled aircraft? 

Tailplane wood selection insufficiently stiff so some twisting occurring. 

I'll try again tomorrow if I get the chance! Looked really good in the air though I have to admit. 

• Like 1

Yellow and green look fabulous Matt, as well as a very smart build.

That is a good proportion of elevator, and you do need that authority for landing and flairing 

But as you found in flight, it may be twitchy, so have a nice low rate on your switch for " in the air "

And flick to " full" for landing

The CG is at about 25% give or take, probably a bit forward of that even , so I think its a combination of elevator movement and I also found that the tape hinge for the elevator had split at the tip so approx the last inch or so was a bit floppy. Replaced the hinges with thin mylar ones and re-taped. 

I also maidened the Amelia which flew like a low wing cub. Unsurprisingly really looking at it. 

IMG_20210124_190819.jpg

Edited by Matt Carlton

Good luck with it Peter, I'm sure it'll be fine! 

I have to confess to some idiocy now in that I just double checked the CG on the LS Special and found that it was about 1/2" behind where it should have been. 

Not sure how or why, but I obviously messed up the cg check first time round.

That might explain the rather squirrelly behaviour.... 

• 3 weeks later...

Well. After correcting the cg, I tried again. 

What a difference! 

Low level around an imaginary pylon circuit. Low over the oil seed rape in the early morning sunshine. 

Fast, smooth and an absolute joy, well done Peter, its one of the nicest flying models I've flown. 

IMG_20210417_080153.jpg

IMG_20210417_082644.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...