Realflight 9.5 simulator

Julian Murch

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I am still learning where things are now !!

I have just bought the Real flight 95. simulator with the Interlink tx.  It all appears to be set up OK and I can fly a trainer.

My laptop is only just over 12 months old and I am using a HD flat screen tv as the monitor but I am disappointed over the quality of the image of the aircraft.  Before I get to the edge of the airfield I am using the image becomes furry and then goes completely so I am blind turning to get it back into view.

Any suggestions as to the problem please.

I use a big VDU on my desk top PC for everything (including RF9.5) and that still happens.  My PC is quite old and could do with a new motherboard with faster processor and more RAM and better graphics but it still runs RealFlight reasonably well.  I think you're always going to get that effect unless you spend a lot of money on a top of the range gaming PC.  You could use the zoom facility to expand the view of the model (Z on the keyboard or the binocular)

For RealFlight help you'd be better going to the RealFlight forum here.

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

I bought RF9 (just the software) from Steam a while back and returned it for refund because of this.  To me there seemed to be a disconnect between the graphics used for the field, the close up aircraft, user interface and that used for the aircraft when flying.  As you say it quickly becomes blocky and, for example, when banked the sloped wing looks like a staircase.

I then read that it is essentially using the same graphics engine as much earlier versions - there seems to be little advances or development in that area.

I didn’t think it was as good as Phoenix and I went back using AccuRC which is okay for me as I’m mostly interested in helicopters.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heather

Hi all, I am using RF 9.5 with a decent spec desktop and a HD monitor.  I find the graphics really good so maybe this sim is a bit demanding on the graphics card power.  I used to use a flat screen TV as a monitor but i didn't realise how bad it was until I changed to a proper monitor.

The only gripe I have over this sim is that it is a bit too easy to fly eg tail draggers track straight on take off and prop hang / torque rolls are not the challenge you might expect.  

Mike

I'm using RF9.5 on my desk top PC with a reasonable monitor, It's 5 years old at least and probably due for a new motherboard, processor and memory but it's running  the graphics quite well. There's certainly no pixelation - at least not obviously.  I have fairly cheap Nvidia graphics card (about £30 IIRC) and certainly not one costing a couple of hundred pounds.

I mostly use aircraft I've downloaded from the Swap section of the Knife Edge s/w website.  eg Limbo Dancer, Skyraider, Beaufighter and SE5a as well as the Sopwith Pup (practising for the maiden of mine).  I mostly use the AMA flying site 3 but you need to be aware that there's an altitude error in the model is shown to be 11 metres above the runway before take-off.

I had a lot of trouble with installation because of false trojan errors but the latest version seems to have overcome it.  However, if you buy the sim on DVD it may be necessary to disable any anti-virus s/w.

Geoff