Loaded Dice 66" 1991

Nigel Sharp

Thanks for the comments.

Had to resist further attempts at smoothing the epoxy this was done before lunch but is still not quite fully hard.  Tomorrow it will sand down nicely ? so the rest of the afternoon was spent rubbing the highbuild applied yesterday back off the wing, control surfaces and cowling. I packed in at about 5 and I'm sat here feeling quite exhaused.

fared_canopy.thumb.jpg.4f9e45c4579fb559fc9e87ccc1755f79.jpg

Starting to think hard about the colour scheme to apply.

I am torn between the Game Bird style (swap green for Red) I have a Green CCM Hypnosis and that disappears against a blue sky! Or the original Terry Westrop Red/White. Except it would be black red orange and white as that is bright and contrasts well with the sky.

1303628076_originalscheme.jpg.8a433b4ecc7c60daa9001d48825fc73e.jpg243408323_GB1_side(2).jpg.29a51da8ca06ef753ef7e9fa4e754a15.jpg

Filleted and smoothed since the week end.

Front_fillet.thumb.jpg.53c0d7c0971ee22b543a9647e3edaf44.jpg

Re-masked and  as the early evening today was light and dry the High Build primer applied to the fuselage.

Fuselage_primed.thumb.jpg.987dc0ef133e0b1d7697abf2036bc57e.jpg

There are some obligatory blemishes that require some remedial work and touch up surface filler but on the whole good progress has been made. Adding the primer uncovers those hidden in the grain sub optimal snags. Wont be ready for release from lockdown there is still a lot of work to do but early spring is still looking promising.

rear_fillet_blended.jpg

• Like 2

On 14/03/2021 at 18:43, Nigel Sharp said:

It was in Chris Mcg6969 Bella Ballerina build log here page 35.

But I made mine from Ronseal "Diamond Hard" clear acrylic varnish, Polyfiller "Advanced" light weight filler, Talcum powder ( cheap supermarket stuff) and a drop of white acrylic paint to be able to see where I'd brushed.

Basically "Heaped Teaspoon" of the lightweight filler, slightly more talc, Mixed with the Ronseal and the paint. Add water until it is like single cream. I mixed about 50 ml by the time I had thiined it to the cream consitancy and that easily did the wings with quite a lot to spare. - Acouple of days later I mixed a second lot to do the fus/tail again lots left over.

Then its simply a case of brushing on, wait a couple of hours and sand it all off ?  leaving the fine talc/filler in the weave. Sands down very easily.

Nigel,

I tried your formula for weave filler, I mixed it fairly thick which made for some hard work sanding it back but it was worth it because it leaves a very nice flat smooth surface. Previously I have gone straight in with the high build primer but it doesn't have the same power to fill the larger divots and if there is an area of sparse epoxy it just leaves the surface porous no matter how many times you spray over it.

Thanks,

Andy.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Bank Holiday weekend and rain stopped play... its an ill wind!

The good thing about rain is you need to do something else instead of going flying ?

The Dice has been on a hiatus as April has been excellent for flying and not so for building and I sometines just can't face doing building after work.

Anyway here is a little update after a pleasent day making/masking the lines for the colour coats. As you can see it's getting a nod to the "Terry Westrop" schemeal be it a little simpler.

Just need a few sunny evenings now to add those last coats I feel the build mojo returning.

20210503_190344.thumb.jpg.d5cb03ded12e3b4ad30a90c75a9bac49.jpg

• Like 1

Here is an in progress update... paint scheme applied  alas it doesn't quite pass my scrutineering so I have some further finishing work to do ? it was the bleeding masking tape wot done it guv!

20210510_214243.thumb.jpg.e6649ff20eb747b333d7cc4fde1320e7.jpg20210510_215053.thumb.jpg.c25e74938c185a927188e5efca299b0c.jpg

However I am very chuffed with the way the colours work ? hope you like it.

I feel the end of the build is near just the electrics to wire up ( wiring loom for wing, and soldering connectors to ESC ) and to balance etc.

• Like 2

Out of focus pictures help ? but I have a plan... at first careful T cutting worked wonders on the Fuselage/wing but the flappy bits alas are a bit of a lost cause.

I was soooo annoyed with myself all it would have taken is a quick blast over with white on that tape. Still we learn by our mistakes plus the extra work it makes re-inforces the memory. It's years since I sprayed a model having used film for years and years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Final pictures - maidened this afternoon - very nice flyer (as expected ? ) just need to spend lots of time on the sticks to learn pattern... the Wayfarer in the background is also mine and also a splendid flyer especially in hooligan mode.

Twins Bill and Ben the pilot men each eagerly waiting their turn.

20210529_150236.thumb.jpg.7e402b3027388858fddbb9d9e36c0e99.jpg20210529_151855.thumb.jpg.4b66160cf59f7eea35f176e6f747a593.jpg20210529_150306.thumb.jpg.0f2ae9925a3f7bc137fb7ef2635fa3a9.jpg

1930 watts on my meter

87Amps drawn at full chat.

15 x 7 APCE prop

Landed at 7 min

Zippy Compact 6S 6200 mAh pack with 30% remaining

Very happy indeed.

• Like 2

Masher,

It came out at a slightly lardy 9 1/2 lb so I have just over 200 watts per lb. The Lipo weight is 1.9 Ibs which is a fair old lump

I think having to put on three coats of white to overcome the grey primer was the culpret. It took me an age to finally decide to do the westrop style scheme. However it does go straight up and does huge loops plus flys like it is on rails but I have only had two flights today so early in the tuning process.

Was very pleased as I only required 1/2 oz of weight on the motor box to balance right on the plan c of g. Which given the pedigree is spot on when flying as is the 4 deg of right thrust.

I will add a single washer to each top mounting bolt which will equate to 1/2 to 1 deg down thrust as I believe it does need it ( on the plan but omitted by me in error ) that will better suit the spinner since it is very slightly proud of the top deck by about the same amount... ?.

I like that.

My wings came from Bill Kits they were cut for LDII (68") so I had to remove a 1" from each of the wing roots & 1/2" of the tail roots too to make the 66" version . I had already ordered the balsa etc and made the Fus sides when I realised the difference. I did print the plan for the LDII fuse and yes it is mucho longer - but as I'd already decided on the first Loaded Dice I continued with it.

A Very nice if extended build. Great to being building in balsa again especially with plans from outerzone.  Now I'm going to do a lot of flying.

N.