Recommendations for a transmitter for full-house glider.

Tim Crow

I'm currently using a Flysky FS-i6x but it only has 3 mixes which isn't enough to mix spoilerons with elevator to trim it. Any recommendations for an upgrade to something with more mixes? I only fly gliders so extra mixing is all I really need otherwise the Flysky is fine.

Hi Tim, Most modern radios feature enough mixers to cater for multi-surface gliders, it's just a case of deciding which one.

You should get plenty of help on this forum, but if you want an even wider range of views, post your question on the BARCS website forum.

I mainly fly gliders and I use a Futaba 14SG which has enough channels for the varied types of machines that I fly, from the little Alula to six and seven metre scale jobs.

However, I have just purchased a Radiomaster TX12 (for just £51), which can provide up to 16 channels of output and has enough mixers, although I have yet to find out how many as it is my first OpenTx transmitter and I am presently at the bottom of a very steep learning curve!

Have fun. regards, Eric

Agree with Ron, the Frickman programs are great (I use the F3K one).  But if you do go down the Open TX route, then at least first teach yourself how to do basic programming from the manual - e.g. 3-chan glider, basic 4-chan power model, etc - to get an initial feel for it.

Not saying Taranis etc is the only route, but if you don't already have a high-end transmitter system like the dearer Futaba, Jeti or Multiplex then its an inexpensive way of getting much more functionality.

Edited by Jonathan M
  • Like 1

I’m interested in this on the Radiomaster side too. I currently use a Graupner MZ-16 which is a great bit of kit and after a year I’m still learning what it can do but unfortunately it’s now become impossible to buy Graupner gear in the U.K. and the Brexit disaster is making it harder to get stuff from Europe so I’ve been looking at the Radiomaster TX16 as a backup. Because it’s multi protocol it will operate my HoTT receivers but I could also use it on some indoor models I fancy which need futaba, spektrum or frsky protocols so any comments from those who are already using it for gliders will be interesting.

If you're looking for a step up from something like a Radiomaster or Taranis it might be worth waiting a couple of months and looking at FrSky's new X20 offering with it's new Ethos operating system.  Ethos looks to be almost as flexible as OpenTX but with a more user friendly front end.  There are various reviews starting to appear on Facebook, RCGroups and the like from beta testers.  Talk is of a late March release and a 'modest' price point.  What's that in the real world, April-May and £300-£400?

1 hour ago, Bob Cotsford said:

If you're looking for a step up from something like a Radiomaster or Taranis it might be worth waiting a couple of months and looking at FrSky's new X20 offering with it's new Ethos operating system.  Ethos looks to be almost as flexible as OpenTX but with a more user friendly front end.  There are various reviews starting to appear on Facebook, RCGroups and the like from beta testers.  Talk is of a late March release and a 'modest' price point.  What's that in the real world, April-May and £300-£400?

I've already got too many FrSky TXs, with the X10S being my favourite over the 12S and the Tarani (plural of Taranis?). So would I go for one of these, at the moment I think not, I'm comfortable with the OpenTX programming and personally find it veery easy to use so ETHOS isn't a driving force for me. Like you Bob, my guess is that they will be aiming that in the price band previously occupied by the 12S and that was a problem for a lot of people.

Ron, it's said that Ethos will be released for the X10.  If it is I'll give it a try, especially if someone can come up with an Opentx/Ethos conversion utility.  I'm always happy to play with something new.  anyway, once one model has been programmed most of the hard work can be done by copying that and tweaking where necessary.