Club weather station ideas

If a club required a solar powered weather station and a couple of cameras - as an add on to an existing website. Where would you start? 

I'm thinking maybe a 4G router, possibly wired rather than WiFi, a couple of IP cameras and some sort of off the shelf weather station that regularly sends data back to a weather service. 

Can all this be done from 12V using a solar panel and battery?. If so, at what sort of power consumption?

Does your club have anything?

Work out how often it is sending data. If it is a regular post to a web server, or is uncontrolled demand, you get through gigabytes very quickly. One 1MB picture per hour is the best part of 1GB per month. This is what stopped me before I started the technical details for a project for a non-flying club. Data is cheaper now.

It looks like I should think to search the forum more often.

Here's a suggestion that I made back in 2018 that might fit the bill.

Rather than a weather station, to decide whether the weather is up to flying, would we want to know any more than we could glean from a webcam shot that includes a windsock or flag?

On 03/06/2018 at 10:50, Chris Bott - Moderator said:

It's worth a look, if I can use an old phone and just pay a small fee to camsecure and a fee for a SIM card, then that may be all we need? 

A free app that would send photos back to our website would be better. Any ideas?

We have one at our club. We use a maplin weather station, the information is then delayed via a cheap

Phone sym  and it is displayed on pws weather site which We also display on our club site..We have had it for quite a long time and our resident tech guru made it from an article in the bmfa news! Unfortunately its under repair at the moment as it got wet recently, we power it from a couple of napkin cheap solar panels to charge a 12 v car battery. I expect it will be up and running again soon.

• Thanks 1