Opinions on Riot Pro (balsa) version

Hi all,

I am looking at getting an ARF to pass my B test and am considering a Riot Pro as I have an SC 53A lying around which would be good for that purpose. I have a Riot EPP which I train my stepson on and with 4S power it really performs the required B moves well. But I have to retrim every time so I would rather have a dedicated B test model.

TL;DR: Does anyone have any opinions on the Riot Pro (balsa) ARTF model?

Having owned,(and very extensively flown!) the foam 'Riot', I was pleased when a balsa/ply version appeared as I was just about to roll my own tracing the foam version components.

Generally, it is very good and at least a match for that other sports model from a certain Mr C.Foss!

As a ARTF, yes, there are areas where personal experience and preferences would suggest replacement of parts e.g. fit a balanced decent spinner, replace u/c with a g/f one from 'Carbon Copy' etc. etc. You can fit your own choice of radio gear and electric motor and ESC. The control rod snakes, (as in all Century models I've owned), could do with a good rub and polish with Duraglit. Otherwise the current draw from the servos is high as even the best servo, struggle to budge the stiff control runs. Free them and the control response is far more precise and the servos breath a sign of relief as current draw drops considerably!

The C of G is always a matter of personal taste. Moving steadily back, the performance becomes more lively.

Current conditions has obviously prevented putting many more hours on the airframe but it can perform the 'B' schedule with ease and some.

Enjoy it!

• Like 1

I'm also just about all-electric but I have a foamie Riot I've flown to death (I wore out my first one) as well as a balsa ARTF Wot4.  The latter is either electric as is mine but glow is an option. Personally, I'd go for the Wot4 but it's a personal choice, of course.

Geoff

6 hours ago, Paul Baumgartner said:

Hi all,

I am looking at getting an ARF to pass my B test and am considering a Riot Pro as I have an SC 53A lying around which would be good for that purpose. I have a Riot EPP which I train my stepson on and with 4S power it really performs the required B moves well. But I have to retrim every time so I would rather have a dedicated B test model.

TL;DR: Does anyone have any opinions on the Riot Pro (balsa) ARTF model?

If you fancy a new model by all means go for it, but if you already have the foam Riot the balsa one really doesn't seem that different? It is essentially the same size, and given it has the same powertrain in it's electric version it must be about the same weight and overall performance too. Personally I would save your money, use the foam Riot for the B and buy something different with a mid or low wing that suits your SC 53 - an ARTF Acrowot would be perfect. That will offer a nice contrast to the Riot being a fair bit more precise and a whole lot prettier!

PS - It shouldn't be difficult to sort the trim on the Riot so that both you and your son can fly it with your preferred setups. My suggestion...

1. Copy the model memory, name it something distinctive ("Dad-Riot" maybe!?)
  2. Adjust the CG, rates and trim to your liking (use an external trim weight taped on moved incrementally over a series of flights for CG tuning).
  3. Once you have your setup you can mark the position of the trim weight (or by calculating the moments make a smaller one fitted right at the tip of the tail to get the same CG) and then simply add or remove it when you swap between model memories.
  4. Alternatively you can setup Flight modes on the same model memory and have a switch that puts all the surfaces in the right places and sets all the expos and rates to your liking. You could even set an audio alarm to remind you to add/remove the CG weight when you swap modes! Flight modes are pretty simple to do with any modern radio, all but the most basic models have them now.

Edited by MattyB