Building Tony's Sunderland

Hi All,

After spending some time away from the Sunderland I have returned back to her and she is now almost painted but I have a bit of a problem.

Having covered the airframe in encapsulation film and rubbed it all down with 800 grit wet and dry to give a key to the paint, well it did not work that well.

The main colour being white I used Halfords white primer then masked off for Spectrum dark sea grey. On carefully pulling away the masking tape some of the white came away too.

Today, my original intention was to paint the dark green, but instead I masked off the grey using "frog" tape, a low tack masking tape, and touched up the white, this too pulled away the grey. It seems like an never ending cycle.

IMG_20220605_153302.thumb.jpg.2361754008909599cdcc8ab2d6cd2940.jpg

IMG_20220605_153318.thumb.jpg.4dcd9586ac4473d1a90573bd06d850a7.jpgIMG_20220605_153310.thumb.jpg.628077605defb1bc9e2d0f50c6766817.jpg

So frustrating, and the pulled away areas are not in the green.

What to do. Live with it and have it looking tatty very quickly, or strip it back and start again?

That's all for now 

Regards

Robert

• Sad 2

Starting again sounds a bit drastic, though your decision may be determined by how easily the remaining paint can be peeled off with, say, a fingernail.  If it seems reasonably well bonded, touching up the missing bits by brush would be my approach.

Even for a light colour top coat, I always use Halfords grey plastic primer -- their white primer doesn't claim to be for plastic.  I've never tried to paint doculam-type stuff though, but if you try some grey plastic primer on a piece of spare film, and it sticks well, then that might tip your decision towards stripping down and starting again.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments and support.

I'm going ahead with touching up the scratches and pressing on. Though next time I'll use the plastic primer, I even saw it on the shelf when I bought the white primer. Oh well live and learn.

Decals have been ordered and have been posted, not much imagination on my part, just followed the ones supplied with the airfix kit. 

My Flair Black Magic is just about ready for final assembly and covering. 

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

As I stated in my opening post I intended to see this to the finish.

I can now say that my TN Sunderland is now complete and awaiting the photo shoot, which will take place once I can manage the stairs with a model in my hand, I'm off work with a injured knee.

I have added a little detail which makes a nice touch I feel, which will look better in the photo rather than me describing them to you.

Balance, wow, spot on slightly nose down with a 3s 6000 in the nose and near perfect laterally. 

All up flying weight is 3.7kg (8.15lbs) which is 0.1kg of Tony's Sunderland.

Well done Tony for a great kit.

My Flair Black Magic is also nearing completion, my next model has already been purchased, a slightly unusual model bought on ebay and a kit I had not seen before and an ideal candidate for my OS 70FS more to follow...........

That's all for now

Regards

Robert

Hi All,

It's photo time

DSC01940.thumb.JPG.f7e99b0f3cba938b47a3a585174b0700.JPG

I gave her some legs, scaled up from the Airfix kit, static only

Meet the crew

DSC01942.thumb.JPG.aa1df539731b816600833a74d651662a.JPG

DSC01943.thumb.JPG.7d3c80d1edfaa0c3026466e31b58b7f7.JPG

DSC01944.thumb.JPG.f0a1d4fafa6ee71e0319f27c45eec826.JPG

DSC01945.thumb.JPG.38466d146321a30265c7bf92ec37e0c9.JPG

We had our club meeting last night and instead of our usual venue we held it at the patch and I took up the Sunderland. She created a lot of interest.

Another model to add to the list awaiting  a maiden flight. hopefully it won't be too long but will have to wait a little as I have an issue with my transmitter, no screen text.

I hope you all have enjoyed the build as much as I have

That's all for now regards

Robert

DSC01942.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Here are a couple of photos taken at our club field taken at the same time as the above previous ones, the Sunderland and my own design Stirling have now been published in this months RCM&E

16113885_ShortSunderlandandStirlingphoto.thumb.jpg.e2ee2f5b408f25c5d6cc503e427d22fd.jpg

1104805179_DSC01935(2).thumb.JPG.ee52f1a11080634c3be0d727fcce1658.JPG

I did toy with making a tractor too

DSC01935.thumb.JPG.6065b3815127b92ba2b2332f280dabea.JPG

Yet to be maidened, but hope to, when work and home life allow.

That's all for now 

Regards

Robert

Edited by Robert Parker
alter txt
  • Like 10

• 3 months later...

Hi Chris,

I did not waterproof the inside because mine will be flown of grass, when the time comes.

Regarding the outside this is what i used...

"I gave the hull a coat of sanding sealer, the dope based type not the water based type, and sanded it with wet and dry.

So, with no time like the present the glass cloth was cut and I applied a coat of Poly C through the glass cloth and then two more coats after it had dried. Poly C is great stuff applied in thin coats, however, back to my earlier comment about the sanding sealer, on a previous model I used water based sanding sealer and what I found was that the Poly C, also water based softened the sanding sealer/balsa to the point that several areas had to be cut out as the balsa had warped very badly. I don't think it would have been an issue here with the hull but better safe than sorry, nothing worse than repairing a model whilst still building it."...... See January 9th 2022 posting for pictures The rest of the fuselage was covered with encapsulating film.

i would love to see some photos of your Sunderland, at 72" mine is a large model but 94" wow.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

Thanks Robert for the information,really appreciated. I’m just starting the build on my Sunderland and I’m going to try to waterproof it as I go.Would like to fly it at the Lake District splash in if it’s still being run.Designing it as having an interchangeable wing for power and Pss.Will see how it goes.cheers