Spektrum AR 8020T Receiver ,Polite answear only

tigerman

Just brought a Spektrum AR 8020T receiver. I am new to Spextrum and also never had a telemetry receiver .I am a bit confused ,it comes with a little red and black lead .The only place it will fit is in the socket mark Volts .My question is where do you stick ( polite answear only please ,I know where most of you will tell me to stick it ! )the other end of the lead ,not sure where you need to connect this lead to .The ends are strip off so it looks like it has to fit somewhere but where ???? 

The lead is for sensing battery voltage. Connect it to the feed to the ESC assuming you're using electric power. The Rx also measures the voltage supplied to it either by the ESC or Rx pack if using IC or an opto ESC.

It's not necessary for normal Rx operation, only to provide telemetry.

Edited by BackinBlack
More info

1 hour ago, tigerman said:

Just brought a Spektrum AR 8020T receiver. I am new to Spextrum and also never had a telemetry receiver .I am a bit confused ,it comes with a little red and black lead .The only place it will fit is in the socket mark Volts .My question is where do you stick ( polite answear only please ,I know where most of you will tell me to stick it ! )the other end of the lead ,not sure where you need to connect this lead to .The ends are strip off so it looks like it has to fit somewhere but where ???? 

as above, for voltage telemetry, intended for main motor lipo positive and negative

no connections - you need to add your own connector.

not needed if you don't want or need the telemetry

edit: the RX has receiver supply voltage telemetry built in (i.e. your 4.8V), no lead necessary for that.

Edited by Nigel R

Sorry but still confused .So the little lead plugs into the volt socket on the receiver but still not sure where the black and red lead goes .Basically how do I get my AR8020T receiver to show my battery voltage on the Transmitter .I do not want to solder it to the esc in fear of blowing up the receiver .From want I can see there is no different from this £75 AR8020T receiver to the the £35 AR620 receiver only the AR620 is 6 channels and the AR 8020T is 8 channel On both receivers the AR8020T and the AR620 I still get details in the flight log ?????Sorry this might seem a dumb question to most but I am totally confused  on how to get the the telemetry to work on my DX8 .Futaba do an 8 channel receiver for £53 ,I know that does not have telemetry but I can not get the AR8020T to display telemetry either .Do I have to buy a satellite receiver to archive telemetry ?  

Edited by tigerman

You don’t need anything to get the receiver voltage. It’s all done internally in the receiver. I assume you have the telemetry on, I believe you can turn it off. To check, rebind, and the sexy lady says bind complete, 22 milliseconds, telemetry.

Then, the telemetry stuff is on the telemetry screen, scroll along on the main screen, where it shows fades and holds.

Tigreman, not got a Spektrum but the easy way to get you Lipo volts using the supplied lead is to put a couple of servo pins on it (with some heat shrink) and just push them in to -ve and +ve connections (i.e. at each end) of the balance plug. 

You'll not blow up the Rx as all this lead is doing is sensing an external voltage.

Edited by Frank Skilbeck

37 minutes ago, tigerman said:

still not sure where the black and red lead goes

You make up a lipo balance connector to plug it on the the main flight lipo.

No need to solder the ESC.

46 minutes ago, tigerman said:

From want I can see there is no different from this £75 AR8020T receiver to the the £35 AR620 receiver

Beyond the obvious channel count, lots of difference, mainly telemetry, hence the "T" suffix. The 8020T has more built in (including variometer). The 620 is only flyby telemetry, 8020T is full range. 620 only measure RX voltage and the signal quality data. 8020T has more failsafe options. 8020T can optionally have a satellite.

47 minutes ago, tigerman said:

Do I have to buy a satellite receiver to archive telemetry ?

No.

Telemetry viewing is down to using the TX, as Don says.

So if I take the little lead that is plug into the volt socket and make up a connecter with my E 5 connecters and solder the red lead to the red lead from my Lipos and the black lead to my black lead from my Lipo then connect that to the battery will that work OK and not damage the receiver

Finally the penny has drop .I did what Frank told me to do and everyone will be relived to know it works .Phew sorry for being a pain but thanks everyone for helping me out here. I leave you all in peace now .Thanks? 

Edited by tigerman