The Eternal Sea - Old Film

MaxG

If any of you have access to the "Talking Pictures" channel on TV, we find it on our Sky package, the the film "The Eternal Sea" is worth a watch. Note that it is in black and white and not colour

It is the story of US Admiral John Hoskins, a naval pilot. He lost a leg at the battle of Leyte Gulf but stayed in the US navy and did a lot of pioneering work in getting jet aircraft on to the US carrier fleet. 

There is a lot of footage of early jet carrier operations and actual war footage, both WW2 and Korean War, shown.

My boss and I enjoyed it and that is why I recommend it to you.

If you get to view it I hope you enjoy it too.

Maxg

• Thanks 1

Talking Pictures TV is a brilliant resource and TBH given the modern drivel that's offered offered up on some of the other channels, is often the only one worth watching. Mind you, not all old films are classics and they do show some shockers now and again and you do wonder what contemporary audiences made of them at the time.

A very good one to look out for is Michael Balcon's 'Went the day well?' a 1942 unofficial propaganda film warning of the perils of 5th columnists. OK, it's a bit dated with some pretty unconvincing German soldiers played by Brits (not surprisingly), but looking beyond the shortcomings, it conveys very well the fear of what might happen prior to invasion and of course what was still very much an uncertain outcome at the time.