R/C Demonstration & Training Video

Capt Kremen

Given the plethora of model flying videos on YouTube etc. , due to the wide availability of video recording devices, my searches have not revealed very many good demonstration training videos.

The BMFA have and continue to make fair attempts at their Achievement Scheme demo for the various 'A' and 'B' certificate tests in a variety of disciplines.

I understand there was a series by Shahid Banglawala to accompany his RCM&E 'House of Hotshots' series which appeared circa 2012-13. (Is Shahid still active in R/C modelling?).

However, these video seem no longer available.

I would like to think a series of well produced video aimed at the average club sports flier would be well received.

i.e. Not just one flier demonstrating his/her style but say half a dozen club fliers, flying and demonstrating the typical 'WOT4', 'Riot', 'Acrowot' type models, I.C. and electric powered.

Showing basic manoeuvres progressing to more advanced e.g. Loops, Rolls, Stall Turn, Rolling Circles etc. etc.

With all the skilled fliers out there, surely a few could team up with the many keen video enthusiasts and record a few good demo clips showing off their stick skills & prowess.

Or have my search engines missed them? 

• Like 1

Um ... sorry Ron ... re read my post. That was the whole point of enquiring where are the video clips? I've searched 'YouTube and very few quality videos appear. Shaky views of micro dots being flown at a distance yes, by the dozen!

Good demonstration of 'How to ... (insert manoeuvre(s) with possibly an overlay of stick movements. Slow motion edit, all well within the skills of many a video enthusiast.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a few more responses. Everyone is only too pleased to discuss the latest widget, motor or how to program a radio but what about the 'How to ..' of the end result or aren't folk interested in developing/progressing their flying skills?

Edited by Capt Kremen
Correcting text
  • Thanks 1

Ron, Excellent! That's more like it BUT still not many quality demo videos show up in the search.

(I note though that the 3D flier example you sent has had only 5,000 or so views since 2019, surprisingly low for a worldwide R/C audience compared with many other very poor examples).

What descriptions are you putting in the search to find them? 

The only ones that I regularly find pop up are the 'Phoenix Simulator' screen shot ones and, occasionally, those from BMFA.

Any well produced 'Basic/Beginner' videos you can post links to?

(By the way these are not all for me but something I can direct all those new fliers we're going to get after the current business allows us!)

I haven't done major search for vids but for that one I just searched for rolling harriers, actually PA have a whole range of vids, mainly on 3D flying and they have attracted over 200K for the first one in their series. Others to look at are the Flite Test ones, albeit those are based on a sim but at least the 'plane is visible.

Roger those are excellent! (A Brit presenting too!)

Why haven't these and the ones Ron brought to my attention been more widely publicised?

I am one of the instructors for my club. Not an ace of the base but manage OK and can usually find the runway in one piece after a flight!

Whilst it is all well and good to go through the stick motions, and of course hands-on practical flying with a new R/C student, giving them a good, quality reference video they can study and refresh their new knowledge with at home, is ideal.

They can even continue practice on a simulator if they have one and generally consolidate and build confidence before their next session at the field.

I'm still surprised that these videos have relatively low viewing figures given the potential world audience.

I appreciate the last year has been difficult for us all but perhaps that was even more reason to brush up and keep technique fresh whilst confined at home.

In the numerous clubs I have the pleasure to visit, yes there are some top notch R/C pilots capable of wringing out any manoeuvre you care to mention.

However, what of the 'Average Joe' pilot with his/her beat up old 'WOT4', some of those pilots have the plane flying them and not them flying the plane!

Perhaps they were never shown how to properly execute ... (insert manoeuvre), including basic loop & rolls.

These video can surely only aid their model flying education and piloting skills.

Thanks again Ron & Roger . If you find/know of any others keep the links coming.