What makes a good kit ?

RICHARD WILLS

I was intending to start the La7 for the winter build, but had a spate of models needing repairs so I need a kick to get going (this could be just it!).

Great idea for a fly in next year although it might be worth setting up something sooner rather than later (I asked about Buckminster a couple of months back and it was booked well into 2022). 

If we could settle on a date and venue how about trying to get someone from RCM&E along to take some pics and put a bit in the mag? Someone did a piece on Cambria Models a few months back, i am sure they would like to see UK kit manufacturers doing well. If we could raise the awareness of Richard`s kits maybe we could persuade him to produce more ?

We could probably tack onto a scale flying day at Buckminster, that way it might get covered in the BMFA mag as well, i will look into the dates and post them here, how many are likely to come, Chris and myself makes two, anyone else putting their hands up for a Warbirds Winter build and a Fly in next summer?

Edited by martin collins 1

I tried to put the text in after the photos and it was all over, the panel behind the cockpit with the step in was ply in the kit , I made a new piece out of 1/8th balsa as the ply would not follow the curve of the fuselage I also substituted the 1/16"sheet at the front for 3/32" as the foam deck overhung the sheet. The radiator flap was cut out and hinged with Oratex to access the wing bolt. I did not get the retracts from Richard as I already had some but I believe they are the same as he is suppling so the way I have done mine may be of use to anyone building the Hurricane. It is easier to mark out and cut the wing before fitting the leading edge,  the centre section was cut first and the ply plates epoxied in place. they are slightly wider than scale as I made them to fit the legs I already had.

Martin

Your right about having WR kits in the loft. Got the Mustang and a Hurricane waiting. Currently refurbishing my LA7 for the umpteenth time, have now added flaps to slow down the landings hopefully. As it was a tad fast with a OS70 FS upfront. Then got to finish the 110,- at the painting stage. looking to do some nice weathering/panel line finishing, So any thoughts/articles chaps would be appreciated ??

Do like the idea of a WR Kits meet up / fly in, would have to be a camping venue as its a long way from Cornwall, Got a campervan so no problems there. Get to put a face to a few names on here.

Cheers Graham (Cornwall)

• Like 1

On 27/10/2021 at 15:10, RICHARD WILLS said:

Anyone starting on their Hurricane ? If so , let me know as I have all of the parts for the retract pack and would like to discuss with a builder before standardising . 

Richard, 

Hope to make a start in the next few weeks, however never fitted retracts before, so may not be the best person to discuss the standardising of the install. If nothing is posted after I've made a start then will be in contact.

Regards

SW

• 4 weeks later...

There were certainly a lot of good kits in the past, however I would like to note a modern kit designer/supplier

Have a look at the EnglishElectricModels website https://www.englishelectricmodels.co.uk/jets/

Especially the build pictures of the big Canberra https://www.englishelectricmodels.co.uk/jets/canberra-70/ Lovely!

These kits are not expensive they are works of art - the best of modern CAD design and laser cutting all brought together in one box. The kit also includes complete plans and building jigs.

I have the mid size Canberra on one of my benches - the build is stalled as I could not make up my mind whether to PSS or power it. I think I am coming down on the side of power. The parts of this kit are amazing, the thinnest of materials but when slotted together form a pretty rigid structure even before gluing.

Hi redbaron.

Thanks for bringing these to my attention they look absolutely brilliant. They look an Ideal way of getting into building edfs r building your first edf..I like the way they are built on a jig system thats very clever. I agree the 70mm Canberra looks lovely.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Graham.

Well it sounds like you've got plenty to be getting on with for the minute..

I try and finish a model before starting to build my next one because I know it will never get finished. Your Canberra is coming on very nicely thanks for showing me.

Dan

• 3 months later...

So with Richard moving to Wiltshire, me still in Essex, Covid and lockdowns, we ended up with the stock in storage. Richard has started to sort out some things. So I thought I would give you guy's the heads up. I have just put one P51B kit, one P51D kit and Two Hurricane kits on the WarbirdReplicas.co.uk website. There is also One JU88 Bomber kit but you will have to email me for that. All are first come first served.

Glynn