April RCME Coverpage

Brian Dorricott 1

It's just a forum thing - no need to apologise to me!

I most certainly agree with your sentiments on pilots - a model aircraft is meant to look like the full size when you fly it - either smoke the canopy if you are going for every last ounce of weight saving or if the close up non-realism offends you, make him/her removable!  With the exception of the wartime Queen Bee and an incident detailed in a book of amusing aviation incidents that I once read, there are very few aircraft that have flown very far with empty cockpits!

I had a wry smile when I noticed a detailed instrument panel flying past in an empty cockpit in one photo!

Reminds me of a story of a Whitley bomber that was shot up during the war the pilot gave the order to bale out but the intercom to the tail gunner was damaged. The plane flew on in circles and landed on some rough ground. The gunner went round to the front to play hell with the pilot for such a bad landing and was shocked to find he was alone. 

To be fair, David Ashby mentions that a pilot is on the shopping list for the PT17 in his review so I guess it was publication dates/weather issues rather than choice that the pilot in the review is busy tying his shoelaces and so is invisible in the photos.  I hate seeing pilotless scale models, especially open cockpit ones,  and that's common in the Realflight 9.5 simulator I'm using at the moment to keep my hand in.

Considering that IMAC models are supposed to be scale representations of full size aerobats (at least I was under that impression) I was surprised to see that empty cockpits was a common feature in the photos in the article itself.