Seagull Boomerang Trainer Experiences.

David Davis

24 minutes ago, aidan mcatamney said:

No, decided to keep the fourstroke for something else and use the 46fx on the Boomerang with an 11x6 apc prop.  So otherwise Jonathan, I need to bolt the engine in as far back as possible?

Personally, have had a hand in putting together 5 Boomerangs, and never added nose or tail weight.

My 2 Boomerangs had an Irvine 46, and an OS52 4S. And no nose or tail weight added.

The other 3 Boomerangs were 1 SC46 and 2 all electric, and no nose or tail weight added.

There is loads of room in the Boomerang to place the IC 4 cell battery where required, or the 4S Lipo, where required

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Denis Watkins said:

Personally, have had a hand in putting together 5 Boomerangs, and never added nose or tail weight.

My 2 Boomerangs had an Irvine 46, and an OS52 4S. And no nose or tail weight added.

The other 3 Boomerangs were 1 SC46 and 2 all electric, and no nose or tail weight added.

There is loads of room in the Boomerang to place the IC 4 cell battery where required, or the 4S Lipo, where required

Dennis, what did you prefer best?  The 46 two stroke or the 52 foustroke?  What gave the best power?

Purely personal taste Aidan, the fourstroke for shear head turning sound and reliability, bigger prop and good torque.

Am teaching a lad to fly his 4 cell lipo powered Boomerang, and this combination is well up to the task, and a joy to fly.

If we could choose a " best ", then we wouldn't need 5 or 10 models each, and the rest !

2 minutes ago, Denis Watkins said:

Purely personal taste Aidan, the fourstroke for shear head turning sound and reliability, bigger prop and good torque.

Am teaching a lad to fly his 4 cell lipo powered Boomerang, and this combination is well up to the task, and a joy to fly.

If we could choose a " best ", then we wouldn't need 5 or 10 models each, and the rest !

Thats very true Dennis, though of all my models my two favourites are the electric Hangar 9 Meridian and the Seagull Spacewalker with Saito 62.  I love the sound of fourstrokes and the reliability.   I'm putting a near brand new OS 46fx in the Boomerang but I also have a brand new OS Surpass 52 fourstroke that I first thought about putting in the Boomerang,  but imagined it to be underpowered on take offs , taking the full length of the runway to get AirBorne.  

6 minutes ago, aidan mcatamney said:

Thats very true Dennis, though of all my models my two favourites are the electric Hangar 9 Meridian and the Seagull Spacewalker with Saito 62.  I love the sound of fourstrokes and the reliability.   I'm putting a near brand new OS 46fx in the Boomerang but I also have a brand new OS Surpass 52 fourstroke that I first thought about putting in the Boomerang,  but imagined it to be underpowered on take offs , taking the full length of the runway to get AirBorne.  

What size of prop Dennis did you have on your 52 fourstroke?  12x6?

2 minutes ago, Denis Watkins said:

Never one answer from me Aidan. Most of the time, our strip grass gets thick, and after mowing is short about 2 weeks.

So, 12 x 5 with long grass, the motor unloads more quickly, and standard 12 x 6 is better in the air and on idle for landing.

Sorry for all the questions Dennis but just so interesting as I have both engines I can use.  Final question tonight?  Of your two Boomerangs, which one do you enjoy flying the most, two stroke or four stroke, or do you love them equally?

16 minutes ago, aidan mcatamney said:

Sorry for all the questions Dennis but just so interesting as I have both engines I can use.  Final question tonight?  Of your two Boomerangs, which one do you enjoy flying the most, two stroke or four stroke, or do you love them equally?

I'm leaning towards the two stroke Dennis, even though fourstrokes are my favourite.  

38 minutes ago, David Davis said:

I have fitted several different engines to my Boomerang ranging from an Irvine 40 to an Enya 50. Even though some engines were heavier than others, the flying characteristics were not affected.

Many thanks David.  Did you have to drill hole through engine wall to feed throttle pushrod through?   All my previous Seagull models came with hole drilled to accommodate throttle. But the Boomerang firewall is solid which I found strange, but no big deal to drill a hole.  

36 minutes ago, aidan mcatamney said:

Many thanks David.  Did you have to drill hole through engine wall to feed throttle pushrod through?   All my previous Seagull models came with hole drilled to accommodate throttle. But the Boomerang firewall is solid which I found strange, but no big deal to drill a hole.  

A very happy new year to you David.  

My go to I/C motor fitting method is

To drill the mount right through, and fit 4 x 25mm M3 socket cap head bolts, held with M3 nylock nuts and washers.

As the majority of my models have 4 stroke motors.

There are many other suggestions on a recent post about nylon mounts.

Edited by Denis Watkins

3 hours ago, Denis Watkins said:

My go to I/C motor fitting method is

To drill the mount right through, and fit 4 x 25mm M3 socket cap head bolts, held with M3 nylock nuts and washers.

As the majority of my models have 4 stroke motors.

There are many other suggestions on a recent post about nylon mounts.

Thats what I also do Denis.  But was just wondering if this method was strong enough.  I'm better to stick with what I know I suppose.   

On 29/03/2021 at 12:51, Brian Dorricott 1 said:

If the Boomerang won't get off on a runway like that it must be underpowered !  SC 46 powered my first one like a dream just right , 2nd one has a Saito 62b bags of power and nicer noise .

Hi Brian, do you still fly your Boomerang with the Saito 62?   Had you much trouble setting up the throttle linkage?

18 hours ago, aidan mcatamney said:

Hi Brian, do you still fly your Boomerang with the Saito 62?   Had you much trouble setting up the throttle linkage?

Yes I had to move the throttle servo about a bit , usual thing as 2 strokers are side operated and Saito are rear linkage but nothing insurmountable . Still love the setup of Boomerang and Saito just right for me plenty of umph but not too much to make it a hassle to fly .

21 minutes ago, Brian Dorricott 1 said:

Yes I had to move the throttle servo about a bit , usual thing as 2 strokers are side operated and Saito are rear linkage but nothing insurmountable . Still love the setup of Boomerang and Saito just right for me plenty of umph but not too much to make it a hassle to fly .

I had thought Brian of putting an OS 46fx into my Boomerang.  But I've changed my mind again for the 40th time.  I have a near brand new Saito 62 and I just love the sound of fourstrokes.  I know there's a bit more vibration than the two strokes , but it's worth it everytime to hear that realistic airplane sound.  

Have recently set up a boomerang trainer for a freind of mine with a Saito 56 and a Graupner 12X6 G-Sonic prop, it's a very good combination.

We have several of these in our club mostly Saito 56/62 powered, there is one running an OS 46FX, the two stroke powered one probably has a higher top speed but does not have the instant grunt for take off that the four stroke powered ones have or the sharp throttle response of the four strokes.

Another advantage of the four stroke power is that they have better engine braking, so the plane is easier to slow down on landing, also although the two strokes have a higher power rating it can rarely be achieved in the real world without a small prop and too much noise, were as a four stroke can deliver it's rated power with a sensible size prop. 

Edited by Martin Arnold 1
spelling

1 hour ago, Martin Arnold 1 said:

Have recently set up a boomerang trainer for a freind of mine with a Saito 56 and a Graupner 12X6 G-Sonic prop, it's a very good combination.

We have several of these in our club mostly Saito 56/62 powered, there is one running an OS 46FX, the two stroke powered one probably has a higher top speed but does not have the instant grunt for take off that the four stroke powered ones have or the sharp throttle response of the four strokes.

Another advantage of the four stroke power is that they have better engine braking, so the plane is easier to slow down on landing, also although the two strokes have a higher power rating it can rarely be achieved in the real world without a small prop and too much noise, were as a four stroke can deliver it's rated power with a sensible size prop. 

Yes Martin, I agree with everything you have said about the fourstrokes.  They definitely have the advantage.  I always set mine up using the Dubro fourstroke throttle linkage.  I've been using that system for years now and it's very efficient and dependable.   

My method of throttle linkage on four strokes usually involves a direct Z bend piano wire to carb and adjustment at the servo end, bit of a faff to mount the motor as i have to connect the Z to the thottle arm on the carb first the thread the wire into the plane as you mount the motor. The advantage is with no clevis on th carb the motor can be very close to the fire wall and I try to avoid using bell cranks.

This is not specific to the Boomerang, just my usual way on four strokes, will try to upload a photo in a bit.

8 minutes ago, Martin Arnold 1 said:

My method of throttle linkage on four strokes usually involves a direct Z bend piano wire to carb and adjustment at the servo end, bit of a faff to mount the motor as i have to connect the Z to the thottle arm on the carb first the thread the wire into the plane as you mount the motor. The advantage is with no clevis on th carb the motor can be very close to the fire wall and I try to avoid using bell cranks.

This is not specific to the Boomerang, just my usual way on four strokes, will try to upload a photo in a bit.

A photo would be great Martin,  thanks.  

This is my almost 20 year old very well flown Irvine Wild Card 3D, with Saito 82, the engine is side mounted and is at about 3/4 throttle on the photo.

Fun old plane though, the 82 is about it's 5th motor !!  Plane is 4lbs 5oz all up and the 82 is giiving around 12lbs 7oz static thrust on an APC 14x4W prop at 10500rpm !!

wild card throttle.jpg

Edited by Martin Arnold 1
spelling

Similar set up on my Mini Ultra Stick with Saito 30SH engine at idle, of course it should be electric, but it had no soul........ I chopped 3 inches off the front and fitted a Saito !!

I'm a bit of a four stroke guy to say the least, current hangar includes 13 Saito , 5 OS FS and 1 YS four stroke powered models all ready to go, three saitos in storage too !!

mus.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Martin Arnold 1 said:

Similar set up on my Mini Ultra Stick with Saito 30SH engine at idle, of course it should be electric, but it had no soul........ I chopped 3 inches off the front and fitted a Saito !!

I'm a bit of a four stroke guy to say the least, current hangar includes 13 Saito , 5 OS FS and 1 YS four stroke powered models all ready to go, three saitos in storage too !!

mus.jpg

Martin thanks for the photos.   We do have one thing in common,  I'm a Saito fanatic also.  I love the sound and the reliability of them.  I always tell people the only time a Saito engine quits is when it's out of fuel.