Lockdown 3 has eased, who's been flying?

Cracking weather, I had been prepping my models for a few weeks so decided to take my tried and trusted high wing model just to get my hand in again.

Arrived at the field where there were already a few regulars. Set the model up which is powered by an SC 46 two stroke. However would it run right, No !!

Spent ages removing tank fitting new silicone tubing, changing plugs  stripping carb  etc. It would hit peak revs idle and as soon as I got to the take off strip it would die. Borrowed some different fuel. No change. Packed up, came home. What a pain.

8 hours ago, Richard Acland said:

Set the model up which is powered by an SC 46 two stroke. However would it run right, No !!

Spent ages removing tank fitting new silicone tubing, changing plugs  stripping carb  etc. It would hit peak revs idle and as soon as I got to the take off strip it would die. Borrowed some different fuel. No change. Packed up, came home. What a pain.

Sorry to hear that.  New or old engine, how much use has it seen in your hands, in this model, etc?

I've got into the habit of advancing the throttle just one notch when carrying my IC models from the pits to the runway, but still not much over tick-over thrust so that when I place it on the ground there's no rolling forward.  But this assumes the engine is running reliably and tested fully in the pits etc - as I wouldn't obviously want to risk a dead-stick in the air if I can help it.

Lovely day for the first trip to the field in over 3 months. I started off gently with a 20 minute flight with my Phoenix 2000, followed by the maiden (for me) of an E-flite Apprentice recently donated to the club for training and, finally, a few flights with the Carbon Cub to finish off the day.

Here she is, waiting for take-off clearance:

IMG_20210330_164040974.thumb.jpg.0ddc2e7369112d67b8bd5a1a246b8a5a.jpg

Back again this afternoon to take advantage of the weather.

• Like 4

Nice view of Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station, too ?    My wife was the station superintendent's secretary when it first opened in 1967 and we could see it from our bedroom window.   Is it too far away to use for lift for your Phoenix?  It seems a lot of forumites took advantage of yesterday's unseasonable weather.

It does happen from time-to-time, when you get a combination of easterly winds but still reasonable flying conditions. Not so much these days though as, like many coal-fired stations in this country, it doesn't run very often now. I did see a glider disappear into the plume one afternoon many years ago, to reappear a few seconds later minus one wing!

It was handy as a wind indicator as you can see it from miles away across the Trent valley and judge whether the wind speed and direction was worth making the trip to the field.

"Windy" Miller of this parish worked at Ratcliffe for many years but was probably still in nappies in 1967!

Hi, yesterday the sun was shining and i was in work ?.

But i finished early so I went to the office and my manager looked at me and said to me,in weather like this you should be out flying your models.

So i said well let me go early and i will. 

To my amazement he said ok. And why not take the rest of the week off, you have enough holidays .

So that afternoon i grabbed a glider or two and went to the hills.

So glad i did, as i managed to maiden a SAS Fusion that i had been given and although it needs a little weight up front it flies ok.

Steve.

Edited by Stephen Jones
  • Like 4

Went back today and flew the Spartan, with more Down thrust and more throws, Sweet.

Flew the Answer, Sweet.

Flew the Micro Aces Scrappee. Sweet.

Had a brilliant hour with a rubber powered model. Sweet. VMC Pilot.

Four Maidens, if you count the Spartan.

Vids uploading as we speak.

D.D.

Edited by Dwain Dibley.
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Jonathan M said:

Sorry to hear that.  New or old engine, how much use has it seen in your hands, in this model, etc?

I've got into the habit of advancing the throttle just one notch when carrying my IC models from the pits to the runway, but still not much over tick-over thrust so that when I place it on the ground there's no rolling forward.  But this assumes the engine is running reliably and tested fully in the pits etc - as I wouldn't obviously want to risk a dead-stick in the air if I can help it.

I have had this model engine combination for some time and the engine has been ultra reliable. When I got home I removed the engine, I stripped it completely and cleaned and washed all components. I then fitted another tank used new fuel.  It now runs perfectly. I can only assume that despite  using a filter on my fill pump and on the carb inlet that some gunge had got in somewhere

Light southerly today so took the Alula to a local SW bowl for some flying. It was a bit hit and miss at first; after giving it a good toss it was either hard work and a slope landing or suddenly buoyant and specking out. Five buzzards circling around, occasionally stooping at the Alula but not making contact (thankfuly). Anyway later on it smoothed and became a bit more consistent so time to get the other wing out for some different aviation!1890374498_FB_IMG_16172241277002.thumb.jpg.1703fc0cebbcface363a83eaa5e813d4.jpg

Edited by Tim Crow
Typo
  • Like 2

Back up the patch this afternoon!

Re-maidened my Wot 4 ARTF (as in just completed conversion from 4s electric to SC40) and it flies a complete treat, so much nicer (for me) than electric.  The SC40 was brand new (except for previously running a tank through on the bench) but quickly got it tuned, and with an 11x6 prop seems to suit the model perfectly (for me).

Club examiner was also flying (ducted-fan jets, jolly fast!) and gave me a few pointers about tidying things up for my eventual B-Cert.1646042391_WhatsAppImage2021-03-31at19_20_20.thumb.jpeg.702a201b782948adec94cc34384365bc.jpeg

P1050810.thumb.JPG.5493495fdac560cb3410048da503a96b.JPG

P1050799 copy.JPG

Edited by Jonathan M
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Richard Acland said:

I have had this model engine combination for some time and the engine has been ultra reliable. When I got home I removed the engine, I stripped it completely and cleaned and washed all components. I then fitted another tank used new fuel.  It now runs perfectly. I can only assume that despite  using a filter on my fill pump and on the carb inlet that some gunge had got in somewhere

Well trouble-shot in the end - sounds like your conclusion is the right one.

Here is another flight from my afternoon off, This time with the Bolt glider.

I don`t think we are going to be seeing the Lidl XL Glider this year so if you need to get your cheap glider conversion fix the Bolt is readily available.

And very good in my opinion this time I'm trying it with full Ailerons and flat wings as I did on my powered version.

So this is a pure Glider version.

Steve.

The easing of "Stay Home" and start of "Stay Local" was my first chance to get out flying since last September. I've flown a few times from the garden, but this was a first trip to the club field, which is only a couple of miles away -literally five minutes drive. Unfortunately there was nobody else there, which was a shame, as no opportunity for a socially-distanced blether. It was fantastic to get out and up in the fresh air though - so I'm a very happy bunny right now. ?

It was very much a case of flying some old faithfuls as  I knew the thumbs would be rusty, but I had hoped to remaiden my venerable Mini Astro Hog electric conversion - she last flew more than 15 years ago, with an OS. 10 FP on board. After a few bottle-building flights with my Easyglider and Tucano, the wind had slightly got up and the grass was just a little too long for my FW190 to ROG cleanly The wind was also now directly across the strip, so I wasn't going to try to get off in 10m.

I think that I'll get a few more post lockdown sorties under my belt before committing to a maiden flight - i've got a load of models that I've fettled/assembled during the lockdown waiting for a maiden, I'm sure than many of you are in the same boat.  I definitely recommend taking a well sorted, familiar model for those first post-lockdown flights. 

First 2021 flying-3.jpg

First 2021 flying-2.jpg

First 2021 flying-1.jpg

• Like 4

On 30/03/2021 at 09:44, David Ashby - Moderator said:

394A7270.JPG

I'm sorry but this paint scheme makes me wince every time I've looked at it!

Tail dollies were/are always painted red or orange to avoid the possibility of inadvertently launching without detaching them - and they fitted just where that band of red and black is painted!  Do you know much about the model - was it was based on a full size example?

Lovely weather though!  I was out on Tuesday when it was absolutely wonderful and Thursday when there was a cold and fairly stiff northeasterly blowing over trees at our site which was a complete contrast!  Great to be out again...

AE0E06DE-0D78-4361-BC58-35DAEA650F03.thumb.jpeg.17e2bf2e7c5248ede933614f68ed657b.jpeg