Flysky range question

Hi Guys

I have a FlySky FS-i6 transmitter, which does not have a range check function. I usually use either TGY iA6 or iA6b receivers. Although the iA6 is classed as 'Park Fly' neither has give me any range issues.

However my next model will need a micro receiver, and hopefully run on a 1s Lipo. I do have a FS2A in stock, which is certainly micro enough, and does run on 1s but I'm a little concerned about the range. Internet is quoting 400m, but we all know how trustworthy that is.

My normal check with the other receivers is to walk away about 150 paces. If I still have full control at that distance I figure that's ok to fly, and never come unstuck yet. However, the FS2a only goes to about 70 paces before it stops working. This is along the ground, so should I expect better range in the air?

Alternatively, the iA6 will work on 1s, but only if it is fully charged. Anything below 4v and it stops working and the transmitter bleeps at me.

Anybody any thoughts?

Thanks

Jeff

I use iA6 and iA6b receivers for many models. The smallest is a glider, a bit over 250g with a little 1s battery. The iA6 and the servos are 5-6V, so I put in a little boost converter to take the 1s up to that. It all adds a few grammes so would not suit anything very light, but it keeps me in my comfort zone.

As with all Lipo, and especially my 1s, their capacity claim can be optimistic.

This as led to certain " go to " 1s in my box, that I rely on not to drop.

Also, higher capacity and C rating 1s are available and generally improve your flight time.

Black Box Technology, those tiny black rectAngles on our circuit boards, we call microchips, are ICs, Integrated Circuits.

Off the Shelf ICs are commonly 5v operating voltage.

Getting circuits to work at these low voltage leads to circuit design wizardry, and you correctly found there is a small 4v - 5v reliability window.

Your power supply is key, so up the mah capacity and the C rating, commonly on a 12" span foamy, 200mah @ 45C, as an example, for a war bird

Hi guys, thanks

Dad-flyer
Appreciate your quick reply. The model I am building is a Pug dlg, which could be built down to 85-100g. However I think the addition of a voltage booster would be worth it as a trade off for more reliability.
Could you let me have some details?
I spoke to Andy, the kit supplier and he uses a Lemon DSMP receiver. The iA6 is pretty much the same size, and only a gram or so heavier, so that shouldn't hurt.
He also quotes a 500 Ma 1s LiPo at 20-30g.
Quick look at HK site shows a fair number of cells below this weight so there could be some saving.
Either way, the voltage booster seems a wise move.

Denis
Thanks for your input, but I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Wonder whether you might be concerned about voltage drop under load.
The set up is for a small dlg running only two micro servos and the receiver, so that load is unlikely to drop the voltage below 4v.
However, there will be a natural voltage drop as the flight continues, and judging the available flight time would be difficult.
That's my concern

Cheers

Jeff

I find that I did post some pictures, they are here:

I had mis-remembered, the model is just 112g all up. I keep a stock of little boost converters (and step-down converters). The one I used is based on the MT3608 chip and is adjustable (up to 24V). Search on your favourite site and there are lots of options. There are probably lighter options at fixed 5V, these are a few grammes, but I still needed ballast in the model.

I have also hacked the iA6 to report the 1s cell voltage on telemetry instead of the receiver supply voltage.

I built my Pug with a 1S 500MaH lipo, FS2A receiver, 2 HobbyKing 9g servos and use an i6 transmitter.

Soldered the Lipo connector and servos direct to the receiver, kept everything well forward and hollowed out the nose for the Lipo.
Receiver is behind the servos. Covered in laminating film AUW is 90gm, still had to add some weight under the Lipo to get the CofG correct. 
Hand launching, the Pug does not stay up long enough to worry about range, no real thermals so far. I was flinging and flying for about an hour yesterday using a Lipo that was not fully charged.
If I had to change anything on the Pug, I might think about a spring pull system for the rudder and elevator, the wire pushrods bind a bit. 
I would also strengthen the joint where the carbon fibre leading edge joins the tip especially on the side with the launch peg, it is a bit weak at this point after a number of launches.
The 'brown nose' is the result of using the wrong model setup on the transmitter. The Pug is a strong little thing.

pug.jpg

22 minutes ago, Jeffrey Cottrell 2 said:

I was a little dubious about something called 'Adafruit' and described as an 'adorable' little board.

This is the 'maker' world ?. The company the link is for is Pimoroni - PIrate RObot MOnkey NInja. In that context, Adafruit boards are the good stuff. 

I once bought a HK 5V voltage booster to use with a 1s DSM2 Rx so that I could use normal micro servos but never got round to using it. One of these should solve your problem if they are still available. Much too dodgy relying on the state of charge of a single LiPo and you would be hauled over the coals if your (small) model injured somebody.

I also have a TGY 6i and 10i with iA6, iA6B and iA10`s but run them on regulated 5V or 2s 6.6V LiFe.

Hi Martin, thanks

Had a look on HK site, but the only one I could find was this one, shown for 2-4 lipo so not suitable. I have one coming, the one Dad_flyer suggested, so should be ok.

On the state of charge question, here's how I look at it.

Decided not to use the FS2A, because of the range question, but if I had it has an operating voltage of 3.3v. Also Bangood have some 3.7g micro servos which operate on 3.6v.

So, the question becomes how long would it take to drain a 4.2v lipo down to 3.6v, where the load is only two micro servos and a receiver.

My guess is measured in hours rather than minutes, so you would have a stiff neck long before running out of juice.

All conjecture since I am using an iA6 and booster, but I would be interested in any thoughts.

Jeff

Hope this helps, as intended.

We have operated successfully a long long time with a critical operating voltage of 3.3v.

With I/C motors, often providing 4.8v nihm packs and leccy 4.2v packs, and the retract U/C brigade on 6v packs.

99% fly day to day with no issue. Typically a 4 servo sport plane use daily approx 300mah. ( How long is a piece of string )

Do a RX battery check every 3 flights, and top up or not with a field charger.

With micro gear and servos, not binding or stalling at the end of their throws should use in the order of 200 mah from a pack.

P.M., I believe that the op said they had only found one of their cells which would stand up to delivering 3.7V for any length of time, therefore dicey. I was in no way suggesting that using 1s is more likely to fail than anything else.

Back to the short range question, 1s is generally for indoor use on micro models for which the range is adequate, even outdoors since they would not be visible at much more than say 100m.

It is fairly common to use 1s setups in DLG gliders.

They are about 1.5m span and can get a fair distance away when thermalling, so if you are interested in what works on 1s have a look at the DLG or F3K forums.

Dick

Hi Guys, thanks
Denis
Critical operating voltage of 3.3v. What does that refer to?
Quite surprised to find that if a 4 servo sport model uses 300Mah, your estimate of the 2 micro/receiver would be 200Mah. Would've thought it would be less than that.
Anyway, no matter. The LiPo's I intend using are cheap enough for me to have two charged spares. My thought is to check the charge level after, say, 1/2 hour and be guided from there for total flight time for a pack.
Martin
Not sure where this came from. I certainly have not mentioned that only one cell would give 3.7v for any length of time. In fact not even got the cells I intend to use.
As regards range, having come to the decision to use the iA6 receiver and booster I have no worries about range. I know the iA6 is labelled a 'Park Flyer' but I use them in loads of models without issue. Since the Pug is a small model anyway, can't imagine running out of range before I can't see the model any more.
Good enough for me.
Dickw
Tried a search for HLG, DLG and F3K and came up with nothing. Could you point me towards any forums for those in particular.
Had a look at the vid.
At my age, if I tried a launch like that I'd do myself a mischief. Leave those to the younger set. Mine will be more sedate, I hope.
Cheers
Jeff

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Cottrell 2 said:

Dickw
Tried a search for HLG, DLG and F3K and came up with nothing. Could you point me towards any forums for those in particular.
Had a look at the vid.
At my age, if I tried a launch like that I'd do myself a mischief. Leave those to the younger set. Mine will be more sedate, I hope.
Cheers
Jeff

? does look fun though, and you have to admire the skill.

I only included the video to show reasonable size planes flying at a distance on 1s Rx power.

For forums have a look at:-

https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/forum/55-f3k-and-handlaunch/

or

https://www.rcgroups.com/hand-launch-96/

Lots of useful info on what works on 1s, but may take a while looking through it!

Dick

16 hours ago, Denis Watkins said:

Hope this helps, as intended.

We have operated successfully a long long time with a critical operating voltage of 3.3v.

With I/C motors, often providing 4.8v nihm packs and leccy 4.2v packs, and the retract U/C brigade on 6v packs.

99% fly day to day with no issue. Typically a 4 servo sport plane use daily approx 300mah. ( How long is a piece of string )

Do a RX battery check every 3 flights, and top up or not with a field charger.

With micro gear and servos, not binding or stalling at the end of their throws should use in the order of 200 mah from a pack.

I

1st line, quote " Hope this helps, as intended "

Quote ( How long is a piece of string ) implies quantities are difficult to estimate, but I made the effort

Sorry JC, I must have misinterpreted something.

I don`t know if this is really relevant to this thread, but on the subject of lightweight low voltage packs has anyone considered LiFe cells? The smallest I have is 2s 700mAh, 5c, at 42 gm including Rx connector and balance plug. With a cell split off and a 5V booster one may be capable of powering a small electric model and certainly a DLG.

Most of my i/c models now use these between 1x 700, 1x 1100, 2x 1100 and 2x 1800. Yesterday I flew my fast 91FX powered aerobatic model with 1x 1100 2s for three 10min flights and the recharge was just 180 mAh. One flight today and it only took back 60 mAh. This is normal for these cells. The model has four standard digi, one analogue plus electric retracts. Food for thought maybe.