Ron Collins F86 - foam/carbon build

Mike Chantler

Panel Lines - mm...yes, not easy. A lot of measuring, and marking with a pencil then rubbing out the mark afterwards. There is a particular brand of Staedler Pen which dries very quickly and is 0.5mm wide methinks, which works best. I use  a combination of a flexible plastic ruler which works best. Although you can spend hours lining up with measurements, your eyeball is the best. For round bits I used balsa templates, and for curves, I use the good old french curves. The main problem is marks with the permanent pen that enable you to line up the lines. For long lines down the wing I use a metal ruler. I think this is the link to the type of pen I use - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Staedtler-Lumocolor-Permanent-318-9-0-6mm/dp/B000SHQBA8?th=1

Many thanks for the advice Andy and Peter - it's made me think and not simply pick up a pen!

It's not something I've really done before, and I never gave it any thought until did the top coat! I did do a bit a google search but just came up with plastic kit modellers enhancing existing panel lines.

Having got it to this stage I really don't want to mess it up ? I think I'll have a go following your suggestions but on something else first. I think I still have some unopened staedtlers from the days when we used to give lectures on acetate! so I'll have a careful experiment -- most unlike me lol.

Frustratingly work and some repairs to a RES glider with a rudder that came apart in flight are keeping me occupied at the mo. but am really keen to get back to this ?

• 2 months later...

Video by friend to prove it flew ? 

It's a speck except for take off and landing as I was reluctant to fly close in on maiden. Fears about +ve tail incidence may have been well-founded as it needed a lot of up-trim. But CoG is 3/4inch too far forward, so will shift this back and program in both ailerons up on an extra trim switch as suspect RG15 TE is not helping any. 

• Like 1

Decided to have a go at using a vinyl cutter for the decals. Alignment with transfer tape and star registration marks went surprisingly well so thought I'd post some photos here for anyone who was thinking of doing similar.

1. Create or find SVG shapes, and add some registration marks (stars here)

2. Load into design tool with each colour on separate layer.

3. Send to cutter and then peel unwanted stuff off 

IMG_20220523_170200.jpg

IMG_20220523_163815.jpg

Cover with transfer stuff:

IMG_20220523_165122.jpg

Edited by Mike Chantler
  • Like 1

Added some more decoration. Moved CoG back by 25mm so should not need so much up trim but still suspicious of my tail incidence. Weighs circa 1kg, flew with 300g ballast added and weight fine for our hills. Will take max 550g ballast. Will take it up hill on Sunday weather permitting ?

IMG_20220527_192643.jpg

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Well, can't believe it's 10 months later. I did take the F86 up a couple of Sundays later when the weather was kind of ok, but when I was assembling it I noticed the the power to the RX kept on going on and off(!) Extensive fiddling on the hill revealed a intermittent connection somewhere, but could not localise it to connectors.

I wasn't very happy with it as I was spooked by first flight, doggy RX power, and had difficulty not mangling it on our long walk in strong wind. 😞

However, last Sunday, I took it up with new battery pack the new 1" further back CoG and it flew a treat in about 8mph. It's 1050g with no ballast, and still flies smoothly and reasonably fast.

Still needed quite a bit of up, so will move CoG back a bit further. Pretty certain tail incidence is not correct - should of gone  for the all-flying tail! Think this will be a keeper 🙂

IMG_20230326_121651.jpg

• Like 2