Measuring 2 stroke oil by weight

Brian Dorricott 1

Just a quick question what is the weight of 2 stroke oil ? I.e. what does a 100ml of oil weigh in grams ? I am hopeless mixing in a bottle im sure its not very accurate but use the weight method when baking with good results . Rather than trying to see through opaque plastic its much easier to read a digital scale with the container zeroed out and also what does unleaded weigh say 1 litre of petrol in grams . 

Thanks in advance .

I use small disposable 250ml lemonade bottles from Asda (other supermarket brands / products may be equally suitable). I remove the paper label and wrap masking tape around them so that I can easily write on them.

As a one-off job, accurately measure the required quantity into one of the bottles, using syringes or whatever you fancy and mark the oil level on the outside of the bottle. I use a 30:1 mix, so I measured out 5000/30 = 167ml. Transfer the mark to the other identical bottles then fill the other bottles up to the mark. I get exactly 6 bottles worth out of my 1 litre supply bottle. I carry a full bottle or two with me when I go flying, allowing me to buy 5 litres of petrol on the way to the flying field and just pour the pre-measured bottle of oil in when I get there.

If you use different mixes for different engines, fill you bottles up to different lines and write on the bottle what fuel it is and what ratio it is. For example, my 167ml bottles say "Mobil 1 2T 30:1".

image.png.87ab564d8fe0f271327d8ace13ad5db8.png