Scale warbird for a .61 fs engine

Simon Knight

Evening great Oracle!

I have a .61 FS nitro engine and electrics looking for a new home and would love to have another warbird, WW1 or 2. Would prefer a wide track gear due to our strip if WW2. Any recommendations please?

Thanks ?? 

Edited by Simon Knight

The VQ models shown above call for an 82 fs 40-55 two stroke. I have their Hurricane and it is a very heavy model, it struggled on a RCV 90 CD fs so I changed to electric which it flies better on. One of our club members had the smaller Hurricane and it was under powered on a 60fs 

the bq 60 hurricane works well on a laser 80, and thats what i recommend for it but it is a good bit bigger and heavier than the Spitfire. The spitfire has the same span and weight as an acrowot and they fly ok on 60 4 strokes. 

A little more power would not hurt it am sure, but it should be ok with the 60. 

although...which 60 4 stroke are we talking about? ASP, Saito?

All the points above noted. Maybe the Dauntless would be too much for a 61fs. Its stated AUW is only 3.2k with a 60" wingspan.

My Brian Taylor Kingfisher had 59" wingspan but turned out very porky at over 8lbs. That flew fine on an Enya 53 four stroke. Not overpowered mind you, but flew well so you could loop from level flight.

Edited by David Ovenden

Thanks all. I'll be using the ASP .61 which has been in my Acro Wots with great success (they recommended a .70-.80) and also my Warbirds Yak 9 which it coped with very well. I've gone for the A24 Banshee, manual states a .60-.70 FS so hoping that will do fine. I'll let you know!

Have a look at " warbird replicas" all designed around 52/61 fs.

Currently the only ones available are the spit and mustang, although it probably says sold out on  the site.

Give Richard Wills ( the owner) a phone.

There is a current forumn on this site for the mustang, on going, at the moment 

I've had several of his kits and can recommend them.

Can be electric also 

Flew mine on a asp 61 fs.?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, gillyg1 said:

Have a look at " warbird replicas" all designed around 52/61 fs.

Currently the only ones available are the spit and mustang, although it probably says sold out on  the site.

Give Richard Wills ( the owner) a phone.

There is a current forumn on this site for the mustang, on going, at the moment 

I've had several of his kits and can recommend them.

Can be electric also 

Flew mine on a asp 61 fs.?

Thanks gillyg1, it was the Warbird Replicas Yak 9 that the motor has come from. Ripped the gear out again last week (too  many bumps in our field) so felt it was time for a change.

Edited by Simon Knight

The Warbird Replicas are a good choice I have the Spitfire Mustang and Ju88. all fly well on electric but  Simon was looking for an ARTF. If I built another Warbirds Mustang I would go IC as I like to fly for over 6-7mins.

Simon pipped me with his reply 

Edited by Eric Robson

Simon, i have the same problems, i think its about " learning to land "

Currently flying the vq macchi 205 veltro with a os 70 fs in.

And a vq fw190, 63" w/s with a lazer 80.

Constantly having problems with there supplied retracts, comming loose etc , the little allen key grub screws , having filed flats on the pins etc.

Flew there yak 9 on my laser 80.

Had there dauntless on a os 70 .

So they are good fliers, but don't last forever.

Cheers Graham

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Simon Knight said:

Thanks all. I'll be using the ASP .61 which has been in my Acro Wots with great success (they recommended a .70-.80) and also my Warbirds Yak 9 which it coped with very well. I've gone for the A24 Banshee, manual states a .60-.70 FS so hoping that will do fine. I'll let you know!

The VQ A-24 Banshee version of the Dauntless  has a nice colour scheme in my opinion. Look forward to seeing the build and finished model here on the forum Simon.

16 hours ago, David Ovenden said:

The VQ A-24 Banshee version of the Dauntless  has a nice colour scheme in my opinion. Look forward to seeing the build and finished model here on the forum Simon.

Yes, the Dauntless scheme doesn't hit the mark for me and I'd want to change it which would ruin the point of an ARTF. A nice Army green scheme is much more appealing. Once she's ready I'll be posting in the New Models thread ?

• Like 1

Ok, so an update. I have been let down by the supplier and although paying for the Banshee, turns out they don't have it in stock and there is no planned delivery from VQ till next year? I can't find one elsewhere so what to do?

I decided to try and fly my Balsa USA Pup last week, not flown since October 2018. Took ages to start but did and I got 5 minutes of flight. After that one, she would not start again despite my best efforts including changing the glow plug. Removed the Saito 45 Special and benched it and still could not start it. Tried loosening the bolts to clean it up and check the tappet etc but they started to round so stopped.

Now I have an ARTF Pup and a spare 60. So Wednesday afternoon/evening I remodeled the inside of the Pup engine bay to fit the 60 in. Did it just and then took it to the field on Thursday. The good news is the motor worked well and the Pup flew again after over 2 years of hanging in the garage. So what started off disappointing ended as a good news story; though I don't have a shiny new plane.

RC_0002_210506105815_Moment(2).jpg

RC_0002_210506105815_Moment(2)_Moment.jpg

RC_0002_210506105815_Moment(3).jpg