FrSKY X20 who has one ?

WayneB

14 hours ago, Mike Blandford said:

I should be OK there. It is FrSky who sent me the X20 to be able to do the port after all!

Mike

That is very interesting, and pretty surprising - to date they have been flat batting any requests to allow any open source firmwares on the X20. Perhaps they have finally realised that however good ETHOS may or may not be there is a decent percentage of Frsky users who will not buy an X20 unless it supports OpenTX/EdgeTX/erskyTX? I’ve lost count of the number of people posting to that effect on RCGroups, but maybe it took initial sales numbers to convince Frsky it was really the case….

Edited by MattyB

I've actually had FrSky "on side" for porting erskyTx (and other open source firmware) to the X20 since December last year. Their concern is whether the X20 could be cloned by just reading the source code to find out the connections. My plan, currently, is to not publish the source for the low level drivers.

I have the display functioning and can put some text on it. I'm displaying raw data from the switches, trims and control buttons. Analog input are next up.

Mike

• 3 months later...

In spite of the frequent software update`s the I generally do at each "Major" update, I am still very muck liking my Tandem X20S.

So much so that I have just got another ISRM to update my second X12S to the new ACCESS protocol. These are now purely back up TX as everything is on the X20. I used to have one X12 for electric and another for I.C.

Thus far I have not found the need to download the "X20 Simulator" as programming is made very easy using the touch screen.

Really like the look of the X20, trouble is I'm not sure I would find it comfortable in the hands, it looks like the sticks are too close to the bottom of the case.

Had a similar problem with the QX7, then tried a horus X12S... fantastic but too big and heavy, have ended up with an X9D SE which sits in my hands perfectly.

I'm a mode 1 thumbs flyer with average to small hands.

Just wondered if anyone owned one locally to me (south west midlands) would love to see what they are like in the flesh.

Cheers.

Friend of mine has just bought an X20........ Got my hands on it last night !! Absolutely gorgeous tranny  I love it, the trouble is even with the hand grips on, it just does not sit right in my hands, so disappointed I just wish the case was about an inch longer at the bottom.

Aah well, will just have to see what Frsky come out with next.

The daft thing is I've just bought a Radiomaster TX16S Max and that is just a perfect fit for me, pitty the build isn't as good as Frsky.

• 1 month later...

If anyone wants to try it, I've posted an initial version of erskyTx for the X20 here: erskyTx for X20.

Lots still to do, but it is functional using the external module bay including support for the multiprotocol module.

What is neat, I think, is you may install erskyTx alongside Ethos as a "dual boot" system, so you may continue to use Ethos, but switch to erskyTx to use the multiprotocol module.

FrSky are OK with me doing this as long as I don't publish the parts of the source code that would reveal the hardware design, which is fair enough.

I haven't had any technical data on the X20, so things take a while to work out. I'm doing this by reading a disassembly listing of Ethos to work out the connections.

I've just found out how to access the touch screen hardware, but adding touch processing may take a while.

Mike

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Mike Blandford said:

If anyone wants to try it, I've posted an initial version of erskyTx for the X20 here: erskyTx for X20.

Lots still to do, but it is functional using the external module bay including support for the multiprotocol module.

What is neat, I think, is you may install erskyTx alongside Ethos as a "dual boot" system, so you may continue to use Ethos, but switch to erskyTx to use the multiprotocol module.

FrSky are OK with me doing this as long as I don't publish the parts of the source code that would reveal the hardware design, which is fair enough.

I haven't had any technical data on the X20, so things take a while to work out. I'm doing this by reading a disassembly listing of Ethos to work out the connections.

I've just found out how to access the touch screen hardware, but adding touch processing may take a while.

Mike

Wow - this is big news, great work Mike. A question... Is there any way to convert OpenTX setups to erskyTX, even if it is not perfect? I have a lot of pretty complex setups on my Taranis and whilst I would be perfectly happy to do a detailed check on them for functionality after converting I wouldn't want to have to create them all again from scratch. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that something changed between my X20 (pre-production I believe) and current production ones (possibly in the bootloader). This means erskyTx didn't work on all X20 radios. I've found the problem and fixed it so there is a new "r3" version posted here: https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=7&t=13679.

It is still a "work in progress", but support is in for external modules XJT-lite and MPM.

This version also has some limited touch screen functionality (information for this on the above post).

Because of the "Dual boot" capability, you may easily add this, but still use Ethos as before.

Mike

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A fair few flights on mine now, still going very well.  I haven't updated to the LUA  Ethos version as yet, as I don't need it.  I have recently put one of Mike Shellim's F3F templates on to it for my Pike WR - wow!  That man knows how to make the hardware sing.  Very easy to setup and calibrate the model.

Recent launches of the Tandem receivers are most welcome - two 2.4ghz links along with 900mhz backup in one tiny receiver, amazing.  I've not tried the OTA function with any of the other receivers, but fancy giving that a go.  Going from strength to strength.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andy Meade said:

A fair few flights on mine now, still going very well.  I haven't updated to the LUA  Ethos version as yet, as I don't need it.  I have recently put one of Mike Shellim's F3F templates on to it for my Pike WR - wow!  That man knows how to make the hardware sing.  Very easy to setup and calibrate the model.

Recent launches of the Tandem receivers are most welcome - two 2.4ghz links along with 900mhz backup in one tiny receiver, amazing.  I've not tried the OTA function with any of the other receivers, but fancy giving that a go.  Going from strength to strength.

I really like mine, it is what the X12S should have been.
LUA adds a whole new dimension to the TX. I also thought I would not need it, as I used them seldom if ever on my X12S but I am converted. A big shout out to those who can code them so that us mere mortals can enjoy them. Setting them up is a breeze and not at all complicated. Many of them also work on the X12 and X10 with the ISRM upgrade or the Express model of the X10. Please someone develop one for the SMModelbau Unisens-E
If you go down the route of the Tandem receiver, you will also need to update the RF firmware to the latest 2.2.0 as this adds support for TDR18. The Tandem RX will also need a firmware update.

OTA updates are simple once the RX is Registered and bound. Like my other FrSky TX I keep a copy of the latest files on the SD card to make things simple. Always test your settings after an update. I have found no issue`s with the process.

• Like 1

Due to the unfortunate demise of a very good friend recently, I have been gifted a Taranis Tx. 

He was familiar with Frsky, etc, and the radio seems to work, but how he got it to work is a complete mystery.  

Anyway, as I am an old dinosaur, the likes of Frsky and Open Tx are completely alien territories to me. 

I have just read through this thread (yes, sad isn't it...) and have come to the realisation that I am completely out of my depth with these "self service" systems. 

For example, I haven't got a clue about any of the following terms:

ACCESS

ISRM.

Ethos.

XJT-Lite. 

MPM.

LUA. 

OTA. 

GitHub. 

DJT Module .

PARA. 

ACCST. 

BETA.

NDA.

RSSI.

OTX/Edge.

DUAL BOOT.

Firmware + hardware. 

It's a whole new language. 

Best of luck to all you guys who understand all this stuff, BUT.... I think that the Taranis will stay in its case, and I shall continue with my Spektrum radios which, when switched on, just work.... and work brilliantly, without brain damage. 

• Haha 1

hello Brian, I'm a long time Futaba user who went over to Hitec...then when Hitec stopped making TX's...i bought a Radiomaster T16 that uses Open TX...daunting at first but once you get your head around and with a bit of help from the forum(Matty B) and google......i can now use it and i'm impressed...... don't despair ...give it a go.

PS...i fall in to the Jurrasic dept also. ?

ken anderson....ne...1...dinosaur dept.