2.4 GHZ Set Up complete package

Hi,

Need some guidance please on a 2.4GHZ set up.

Coming back into RC planes again after a 20 year break, I have recently joined a slope soaring club and I gather most of the club members fly with 2.4 GHZ RC gear.

I currently have a 35 MHZ setup, which I know I can use but just wondering what I would need if I was to convert my models over to a 2.4 GHZ system?

I realise that I would need to obtain a 2.4 GHZ transmitter and receiver, but I am not sure about the battery side of things. Most transmitters I see are powered by either a built in battery or AA cells.

My current setup uses a 4.7 volt NiCad battery for the receiver and servos, but I am not sure what I would need to change for a 2.4 GHZ system.

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary,

Whatever you decide to do, I would advise that you throw away your old NiCads and replace with a modern alternative.

Most receivers will tolerate a fairly wide voltage range. I happen to use NiMh cells, either 4 cells (4.8v) or 5 cells (6.0v) and these are widely available from various sources.

With regards your transmitter, if you decide to use your 35meg gear, then replace your NiCad with NiMh (other chemistry is available) to the same voltage - so if it's 4.7v currently, use 4 cells for 4.8v, with a capacity the same or greater than the existing. I did this recently on an old 35meg set that I have, and it works a treat.

If you buy new, many tx's have a built in battery and come with a charger. Others it's left to you, so go with whatever the supplier recommends LiFe seems popular, at the moment, but I have no experience of using them, so I'll leave it to someone who knows to comment other than to remind you that you'd need a suitable charger for that chemistry.

So in a nutshell, more than one way to skin a cat but the important thing is to make sure that the voltage is correct and capacity is sufficient for your needs.

Hope that helps, rather than confuses more!!

Kim

Gary, the battery for the radio is whatever the manufacturer has stipulated. 2.4GHz radio does not decide this, the power to generate the transmitted signal is small. The onboard computing and display panel is where most of the consumption will be.

Again, in the aircraft the choice of servos, to a lesser extent RX, will influence what battery output voltage and power capacity is required. Then the physical size and shape you can fit in the model. Most 2.4GHz RX's will accomodate a wide range of input voltages.

I suggest the transmission frequency is not your starting point. Instead read up on Battery Eliminator Circuits (BEC), which feed a regulated voltage to your in flight components.

27 minutes ago, Phil McCavity said:

I'm probably going to attract critisism here but personally, I'd test the NiCADs first to see if they are okay, charge them, cycle them and test under load. If they pass then you have a better source than NiMH and if keeps them out of landfill.

Exactly the same thought struck me.  If anything can take a hiding and come back for more, it's a NiCad!

Hi Gary, same merry-go-round for me.

Is your radio gear the Futaba challenger combo set with the FP-T6NL tx, if so would you have the instruction sheet that came with the set ?

My tx has some black wire corrosion so the rest of the set is similar, so may be condemed, still checking.

I have decided on the basic Futaba 6 channel and Rx, with an extra Rx for the second 40 model, 2.4 GHz...

I will be getting a radio link basic 6 channel set as well, the one with 2 RX's, for the slope and small models, the full range set.

Question, 2.4ghz Rx berried in a balsa fuz with the "aerials" inside, is that ok or do the aerials need to be outside ?

rich

26 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi Gary, same merry-go-round for me.

Is your radio gear the Futaba challenger combo set with the FP-T6NL tx, if so would you have the instruction sheet that came with the set ?

My tx has some black wire corrosion so the rest of the set is similar, so may be condemed, still checking.

I have decided on the basic Futaba 6 channel and Rx, with an extra Rx for the second 40 model, 2.4 GHz...

I will be getting a radio link basic 6 channel set as well, the one with 2 RX's, for the slope and small models, the full range set.

Question, 2.4ghz Rx berried in a balsa fuz with the "aerials" inside, is that ok or do the aerials need to be outside ?

rich

If you are investing in a new system you will find that the more expensive computer based systems are far more versatile than the cheaper basic systems. Model memories, the ability to reverse servos, adjust rates and exponential and mixing channels are really useful and save a lot of time and heartache.

34 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Inside a balsa fuselage is fine, it's only really carbon where you have to get them outside because carbon blocks the signal very effectively.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shaun Walsh said:

If you are investing in a new system you will find that the more expensive computer based systems are far more versatile than the cheaper basic systems. Model memories, the ability to reverse servos, adjust rates and exponential and mixing channels are really useful and save a lot of time and heartache.

Shaun, are there any "new systems", at any price range, that don't have computer based operating systems including all the features you mention ?

Gary, what brand and model is your existing 35 meg Tx ?  

Edited by PatMc

All I would add to the above is to find out if there is a "most popular " RC brand in the club you have just joined, and consider getting one of those. This will have many benefits if you have queries on setting up etc. Of course, if the most popular make is something like Jeti, you will need deep pockets to follow suit!

Regarding batteries, I would always prefer rechargeable cells in my Tx. 2.4 G trannies tend to consume less power than the old 35Mhz ones. My new Spektrum tranny runs for many hours on a single 2000mAh lithium cell.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PatMc said:

Shaun, are there any "new systems", at any price range, that don't have computer based operating systems including all the features you mention ?

Gary, what brand and model is your existing 35 meg Tx ?  

Spectrum DXS, Futaba T6L don't have the full suite of programmability.

51 minutes ago, Shaun Walsh said:

Spectrum DXS, Futaba T6L don't have the full suite of programmability.

I had no idea that the big brand names were hawking such basic rubbish under the money wasting "entry level" umbrella.

OTOH there are "cheap" brands systems available who's Tx's have more features than most of us would ever need literally costing less than 4 function 27 meg sets 50 years.

Edited by PatMc

Just grab a Radiomaster TX12 or TX16S and a few telemetry enabled Frsky or Radiomaster RXs - all the functionality of the very top end big brand sets, decent (but not outstanding) physical quality and very reliable RF including signal strength telemetry as standard. TX12 is around £80, TX16S £130 odd.

• Like 1

+1 for the Radiomaster.  Excellent value, functionally very rich, and you are not locked in to any brand. 

In my view, the need for a set popular in your club has diminished hugely as all the info ever needed is available on't internet. 

GG

P.S. I don't have Radiomaster, I have a Taranis and a DX7S.

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Recycle the NiCad's and any switches. Replace with Eneloops (or LiFe's or 18650 LiIons with regulators).

I agree as I have seen too many models destroyed due to old batteries, to me the chemistry is irrelevant.