Covering options for Sharkface

Hi all. 

I am getting materials ready to build yet another Sharky. It is gonna be powered by emax cf2812 with 6x4 APC, 20amp esc and 1000mah 3s lipo. Previously I have used jap tissue and dope, but would like to use some iron on film this time. 

I have worked with solartex and solite in the past, so am not completely new to it. What I’m looking for is strong covering that won’t weight much more than heavyweight tissue. Any suggestions? I have just ordered everything from slec/eBay, got electronics earlier from lms and covering is the last missing bit. 

Regards

Tom 

2 minutes ago, Tom Major said:

Hi all. 

I am getting materials ready to build yet another Sharky. It is gonna be powered by emax cf2812 with 6x4 APC, 20amp esc and 1000mah 3s lipo. Previously I have used jap tissue and dope, but would like to use some iron on film this time. 

I have worked with solartex and solite in the past, so am not completely new to it. What I’m looking for is strong covering that won’t weight much more than heavyweight tissue. Any suggestions? I have just ordered everything from slec/eBay, got electronics earlier from lms and covering is the last missing bit. 

Regards

Tom 

I find the Sharkface, suitably (over)powered flys well at 12 to 16 oz so no need to skimp on covering. I have used Solarfilm and Profilm in the past

I built my Sharkface a few years ago and covered it with Fibafilm, a heatshink film that looked a bit like tissue but with more puncture resistance.  I'm not sure if anyone still has any in stock now, and to be honest it wasn't the easiest stuff to use.

If I make another one I would cover it with laminating film and tissue doped over the top. This gives a much stronger finish than tissue alone and weighs no more than tissue ( the laminating film underneath means not so much dope is required). It also gives a more rigid finish than the likes of Solarfilm.

P1030924.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My original version when the plan came out had a Cox TeeDee 049. I wrongly assumed that the 1/8th inch rudder movement each way was a misprint and gave it 1/4 inch (single channel bang bang). Rather more than just interesting. My current one has an extra wing with ailerons and much less dihedral which needed more rudder but at an event I tried to fly it on the rudder and elevator wing but selected the wrong model memory. Whee crunch!