Ripmax Quantum ii .55

Mitchell Howard

Having found one of these on eBay with only a couple of flights under its belt according to advert, I went for it. It's just arrived.

I opened the box to see what was there - all present and correct - didn't strike me as quite that new, with some scratches on it.

I'm rotating the outer spinning part (?can? ? ?rotor?), and every 1-2 rotations I find a tight/high spot where instead of just feeling the magnet rippling, I feel the binding of a stationary object (something on the ?stator?) against me spinning the can. It's inside the motor, I can hear the brushing noise as the two features rub.

It binds for about 2-3mm (1/16 to 1/8") before freeing up again.

Is this normal? I don't think it is.

Edited by Mitchell Howard

No it isn't at all normal and I would definitely take the can off to have a good look, (you don't need to take the shaft out of the can just release the circlip or whatever is holding it at the other end and pull it off), it's not uncommon for those strong magnets to pick up a washer as a friend and that may well be what has happened to you, that or something else metallic.

When putting the can back on watch your fingers as the magnets are strong and will snap it shut!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Richieg1966 said:

Hi Mitchell

Did you get to the bottom of this? I've just picked up a lightly used quantum ii 55 of eBay with a similar description. Hope it's not the same motor!

Diving2426? I did see it was up for sale again.

I sent it back, it wasn't worth the faff to me but might be to somebody else.

Intrigued to see what you think.

As an aside, I was just eBay searching "4250 motor 800" and surprised to see what looks like the very very out of stock Ripmax Quantum motor, but unbranded of course. The similarities were uncanny. Difficult to believe there's any additional quality checks that Ripmax apply Vs the Chinese supplier/manufacturer.

Edited by Mitchell Howard

• 6 months later...
On 30/06/2021 at 22:35, Mitchell Howard said:

Diving2426? I did see it was up for sale again.

I sent it back, it wasn't worth the faff to me but might be to somebody else.

Intrigued to see what you think.

As an aside, I was just eBay searching "4250 motor 800" and surprised to see what looks like the very very out of stock Ripmax Quantum motor, but unbranded of course. The similarities were uncanny. Difficult to believe there's any additional quality checks that Ripmax apply Vs the Chinese supplier/manufacturer.

Hi Mitchel

Had all sorts of problems accessing the site. Tried again today randomly and I can log in at last... I kept the motor and used it to convert an old kit built acrowot. It turned out all right in the end. It's also pretty robust as the last flight resulter in it hitting the deck after a random spin soon after taking off. I had to pull the motor and mount and firewall  out of the ground. Amazingly it was undamaged!

I also bought one of those 4250 motors from eBay you mentioned. That's worked out fine too and is used to power a pro built Ruckus. Only complaint is it's a bit noisy but I suspect that's probably the same for the 'genuine' Ripmax quantum 40's as well...