Fixed wing simulator, simple easy?

911hillclimber

I'm sure there were lots of recommendations for sims in your last thread weren't there? Just go with one of those. Setting up sims with the TX can be a pain initially, but once you work out how they generally work seamlessly for evermore.

Edited by MattyB

Genuine Phoenix (with dongle lead) plugged straight into my Spektrum TX, I understand there were a load of rip off versions, so beware.

Realflight did IIRC version 8 that is not upgradeable to version 9 so if you go for an earlier version make sure its cheap or pay the extra and have the supported up to date version (not much point really).

PS message me if you want to borrow/buy my phoenix lead and CD as I use Realflight now.

Thanks all.

I went to the model air show at Weston Park yesterday and watched a 9 year old (typical) with a modern Tx, a lead, to the large TV screen in thier trade tent and the image was really realistic.

It was iActiveRC.

I am getting 2 flying experiences from willing volunteers from 2 flying fields this week, but feel i need far more 'contact' with this whole new learning curve I'm at the base of.

I would like to use the actual Tx I'm 'flying' with.

Time moves fast and I thought i would ask in this section incase something new had caught the eye of some.

Edited by 911hillclimber
  • Like 1

Phoenix is free and an eBay dongle is about 8 quid, Links below, I learnt to fly with that and if you don’t get on with it you can splash out and a more expensive one.  Loads of planes and flying fields to download too.

https://www.rc-thoughts.com/phoenix-sim/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333972037895?hash=item4dc248e107:g:AuQAAOSw3ndggonO

Same as when I started circuit racing I learnt where the circuits go on gp2 about 20 years ago?

Mark has got it spot on, I literally learnt to fly with Phoenix, a decent flight simulator at a cost of eight quid is just too good to turn down (because the Phoenix software is now considered abandonware), not only do you get to use your own TX but you can do so wirelessly with a cheap four channel receiver, then a laptop and HDMI cable and you can put it on a big TV whilst sitting as far away as you like.

This is just simply too good not to take up.

@911hillclimber

The software you mention seeing was probably AccuRC, which looks to aimed mostly at helis - there are dozens of helis available but only a handful of planes, and some of those seem to be the same but in different schemes. About £35, downloaded from Steam.

The link Mark has included is exactly the same software I mentioned in your other thread.....

Phoenix is really good and if you go here: Phoenix Simulator Downloads – RC-Thoughts.com you can download later versions free, as well as many other models and scenery packs, updat2ing the software included on the cd. You can also change the model parameters to emulate your Kingfisher if there is no model ofnit.  Also look at other popular rc forums as they also have plane/scenery packs.

You can also update the version of RealFlight that is included, free, if you register it.  You can only go to version 7.5 (I think), so not latest versions, but still relatively modern.  Again, there are expansion packs of planes, sceneries etc., and some of the other forums have user created models.

Probably better than shelling out around £200 for latest  version of RealFlight and finding out sims don't do it for you.

GG

Right!

I'm sold, will delve into the Phoenix device and hope my ultra fine and capable IT skills work...

Off to the field today I hope for some buddy box flying if the wind not too bad.

The demo at the show was for heli but there was a fixed wing playing, £35 as you say. Phoenix first.

I personally would not bother with the Phoenix set up.

There are just too many clone dongles / leads etc. out there. Some have horrible viruses attached, so steer clear is my advice.

If you could find a second hand Phoenix sim. boxed disc / leads etc. then I would give that a try but not the other, fraught with frustration.

The only other real alternative is Realflight. It is expensive, but can easily be sold on once you have no further use for it.

A good sim. is worth its weight in gold during the early stages of learning to fly.

I am of a similar age to Hillclimber and am relying on club members to buddy me (I bought 2 Futaba T6K transmitters and a lead). I have Realflight  9.5 with the Spectrum interlink running through my laptop.  Good system but with the laptop the model 'disappears' if you go too far due I am told to the graphics card on the laptop and there is no external unit available to improve things.  I am also using a large flat screen TV.  This is all helping but it is taking some time to be able to control the aircraft on the field.

Whilst it is indeed possible to contract a virus from a dongle, the risk is very low as these tend to not have 'user-writable' memory, so any virus would need to be installed at the point of manufacture, as I understand it.  More likely that the software would contain a virus but you'd manage that via your standard anti-virus.  Myself and three club-members have used the ebay sims and none of us has had an issue.  That's the only real-world experience I can provide.  My son has contracted a virus from Steam (where AccuRC is downloaded from) and even a premium product like RealFlight has had issues in releases (not affecting me).

Only you can decide the risk/benefit.  If you don't go down the ebay route, my recommendation would be to try and find a used sim, rather than shell out the cost of a new model for RealFlight, if you haven't actually used a sim.  Some find them invaluable learning tools, but I found that if I used them while learning, my real learning went backwards.  Again, just my experience and other peoples experiences will differ.  Currently, I only use mine if I want to cement the control inputs of a specific manoeuvre.  As you're finding out, there are many ways to skin this particular cat of rc flight ? in fact, I have probably spent more time tinkering and installing new models, than actually using it for its intended purpose.  

• 2 weeks later...

I  own  3  RC sims . RealFlight 9.x , Phoenix 5.x and FSOne .  If I could take back all my money and spend it on just one sim it would be FSOne . Its simple to connect virtually any RC transmitter to its USB interface . There is a good selection of planes 9

I  own  3  RC sims . RealFlight 9.x , Phoenix 5.x and FSOne .  If I could take back all my money and spend it on just one sim it would be FSOne . Its simple to connect virtually any RC transmitter to its USB interface . There is a good selection of planes ( and helis ) ,where the physics of flight for each craft is individually calculated . So ,for example , a flat spin needs a significantly different set of transmitter inputs for each aircraft. As does each aerobatic maneuvre. The interface where the different variables   are set prior to flight are intuitive and straightforward . The documents are very good. The lead developer is active and very responsive on the main USA based rc forum.  Visually the aircraft , sky , clouds are very pleasing . There are recorded lessons by leading RC pilots and instructors .  I could go on, suffice to say FSOne seems to come closest of the three to imitating the behaviour of RC planes at the field and is an excellent teaching aid.