Retailer stock levels

I ordered a seagull models fly baby from Kings Lynn models yesterday evening ,as the we’re showing stock .I got a call this morning saying they were out of stock and no stock at the wholesalers .I  used paypal ,they refunded the payment but paypal will keep my money for about a week .So I can’t order one from another shop .What happened to honesty ?they should not show stock when they are out .I won’t use them again in a hurry 

I've this week had similar experience with another vendor -- web site says in stock and permits me to order, but when nothing came after a week I phoned to find what's going on and they said the order's on hold because they don't have one of the items I ordered.  I asked them to send what they'd got, and they credited my PayPal the same day for the unavailable items.

You would have thought that with modern computer ordering and stock control this shouldn't happen.  I don't understand why PayPal are keeping your money for a week though.

You should get your money back onto your PayPal straight away.  A few weeks ago I had placed an order with model fixings but then needed to tweak the order.   Got in touch with ian at model fixings the adjustment gave a small refund which was back to papal straight away 

regarding KLMS I’ve dealt with them over the last few weeks for a seagull edge ….  Great customer service over the phone and no problems with my order whatsoever but I did notice a servo I wanted wasn’t in stock despite showing as in stock on their website 

I therefore now only place orders over the telephone to ensure items are on.  But I agree in this day and age real time stock levels on websites shouldn’t be a problem

the only exception I have found is both model fixings and nexus hobbies. If their website says it’s in stock it always is…. Nexus/model fixings are the only company where I place directly through their website ….. 

8 hours ago, Alan Hilton said:

I ordered a seagull models fly baby from Kings Lynn models yesterday evening ,as the we’re showing stock .I got a call this morning saying they were out of stock and no stock at the wholesalers .I  used paypal ,they refunded the payment but paypal will keep my money for about a week .So I can’t order one from another shop .What happened to honesty ?they should not show stock when they are out .I won’t use them again in a hurry 

"I won't use them again in a hurry." Even if, hypothetically, they are the only people with stock of something that you want at a good price and you can't find it anywhere else...?

Afternoon guys, Kings Lynn Model Shops website doesn't actually have anywhere that says the models are in stock, I think its more availability from the supplier than actually in the shop ( they can't stock every single model) so a phone call to check may have been the way forward. I use Kings Lynn Model Shop a lot and there customer service and knowledge is second to non. As you rightly stated they refunded you straight away so not down to the shop more an issue with PayPal and if a credit card was used then they will have actually lost money for a few days as it takes 4 to 5 days for the shop to be credited with the funds but they will withdraw it for a refund straight away. Personally I think this is an unfair shop bashing post as even the supplier websites that have live stock control are not always up to date, let's try and remember these shops have just suffered a global pandemic as well so stocks are low and a lot have closed due to not been able to survive the lockdown. Let's support these guys rather than complain so we can all continue to enjoy our hobby ?

• Like 5

Hello,

It is much more difficult than some might think to be certain that stock levels are automatically updated and always totally accurate. If you will only order from shops that always have 100% accuracy in their stock levels then you will have a very limited choice of suppliers indeed. I use KLMS as well as many others on a fairly regular basis and found that they always give a very good service and their prices and delivery are usually the cheapest for most things. As others have said, if it is important that you get the items quickly then always phone first to check the stock levels, if you can afford to wait for things then go ahead without checking.

This applies to pretty much all online shopping not just model shops.

I will continue to use and support KLMS

• Like 4

I ordered a few random items from klm via their website on sunday last  and had them on my doorstep on thursday morning. Confirmation emails, postage info and tracking all emailed to me without delay. Very happy with their service in difficult times. 

• Like 1

I would agree with Andrew Calcutt's comments tbh from personal experience. With the state of the world currently regardless of modelling or other goods I would check first, not least because there are some real issues with supply or manufacturing of goods.  That said I ordered goods from SMC week before last that were supplier stock and they were with me in 5 days using Royal Mail. I have used KLM before pandemic with no issues.

Yep, used KLM to order online my Spektrum NX8 a couple of months ago, arrived within 2 days post free. So far I haven't experienced any "false stock" issues with various hobby suppliers, but if you are buying a pricey item and want it quickly, making a phone call first seems sound advice that I will follow next time.

We should all know by now that you can't trust websites. They are only as good as the last person who updates them and it may not have been updated since the last item , that you want has been sold. 

Pick up the phone and talk to a real person. If they tell you an item is in stock and it isn't then you have every right to moan or demand a refund.

1 hour ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

I fly with the guys from my LMS. Some of the stories would make you loose faith in humanity.

Yes, many years ago I was the other side of the counter (part time) in the R/C business. Most customers were the usual decent modelling folk, but there were always a few who were, let's say, a challenge! It certainly affected how I approach a retailer when I have an issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Engine Doctor said:

They are only as good as the last person who updates them and it may not have been updated since the last item , that you want has been sold. 

Ergo you can trust them as much as you'd trust a phone call to the same person?

36 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

Ergo you can trust them as much as you'd trust a phone call to the same person?

Not sure if this was meant to be flippant or not! If you phone someone and ask a very specific question regarding stock level, they will check on that specific item and you can expect to get a very accurate answer. It is very different for anyone to expect that the stock level of every single item is updated at all times. I usually have no idea about the stock level of my fridge at home but if my wife asks me specifically how much milk is left, then she will get a very accurate answer!

Let's stop bashing these people who are doing their best to help us with the hobby that we all enjoy so much - we will all be very sad if these shops decided to close because they got fed up with negative comments.

Simon

• Like 1