Best source for Servo crimp connectors?

Andy C

Rather than my normal use of cutting extension leads and then re-soldering I thought it might be better to start crimping new connectors onto my servo leads.  Quick search threw up loads of options including different names of connectors etc in ebay, amazon and the like.  

Thought it might be easier therefore to check ion here for recommendations for where to get the connectors and crimp pliers please?  Any good experiences? Or bad ones that I should avoid?

Thanks

You can normally get 10 pairs of JR/HiTec or Futaba from HK but out of stock for ages. The Component Shop do them singly I think or 50 pairs for £18.50, servo wire too, just bought some.

Alternatively CPC do packs of 100 female plug crimps and the connector shells in anything up to 12 way but not sure about the male pins because they are normally fitted to pcbs. They are identical in every way to JR etc. How do you intend to crimp them? I used to fit these professionally but the Molex tool is well over £500! Don`t know what the ones sold by Als Hobbies or whoever are like but be warned that the pins they sell may well be shorter than normal with the obvious disastrous results.

I think they are called JST XH or SH.

Hi Guys

I get my servo connectors from here. ED is correct, there are plugs available on e-bay, but they sometimes have a slightly different design. Having practised with one type, I find it best to stick with those.

Notice that 4-Max now do Maxlock (formerly Ashlock) connectors for multiple servo installs. Got some of those to try and they seem to work well with my crimp tool and system.

Cheers

Jeff

Andy, I don`t know what sort of models you have but long ago I gave up connecting various leads (2 ail, 2 flap, 2 retracts, lighting) individually so use multi connectors which I have to make myself including socket to socket leads. I never need to solder wires together. Pics available to anyone interested if they have not already seen them on my build blogs.

As I said above I used to make these professionally and have the right tools and skills so if anybody is interested I would be only too glad to make some up if they supply the correct multi connectors. PM me.

23 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

You can normally get 10 pairs of JR/HiTec or Futaba from HK but out of stock for ages. The Component Shop do them singly I think or 50 pairs for £18.50, servo wire too, just bought some.

Alternatively CPC do packs of 100 female plug crimps and the connector shells in anything up to 12 way but not sure about the male pins because they are normally fitted to pcbs. They are identical in every way to JR etc. How do you intend to crimp them? I used to fit these professionally but the Molex tool is well over £500! Don`t know what the ones sold by Als Hobbies or whoever are like but be warned that the pins they sell may well be shorter than normal with the obvious disastrous results.

I think they are called JST XH or SH.

Back in the day I was involved with industrial wiring harness design and development (no CAD, all done on a huge board with nails etc) and the crimping tools from the likes of Molex and AMP were, as Martin says, very expensive but of very high quality and designed to work with the manufacturers products.  I worry about the efficiency of these cheapo crimp tools so please take care to ensure the termination is correctly formed and doesn't distort/damage  the crimp. Use a magnifying glass to take a really good look at how the conductor and strain relief parts are formed.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried crimp tools from a few sources and most of them are not properly compatible with R/C connectors even if they advertised as so. The only tool have any faith in is a non-ratchet one I bought from Al's hobbies. It does need some force applied but it makes the best looking crimp when inspected with a magnifying glass. The pin has to be held in exactly the right place in the tool to achieve a reliable crimp with the correct length of stripped conductor carefully held during the process. To (destructively) test the crimp peel open the insulation grip then pull the wire out of the pin, if the wire breaks and doesn't slip out of the clasp, it's a good crimp where a cold weld has been achieved.

Incidentally Ashlock connectors are actually Molex 70021 and 70066 series.

Hi Andy

Oddly enough I got my crimpers from Als' Hobbies too. Many years ago and still going strong. With that, I have found that the best suited terminals come from Blacksmith Products, here.

As you, I always inspect to job afterwards, but very rarely do I find one I'm not happy with, and, so far, never had one fail.

Highly recommended

Jeff

btw Ashlock connectors (Formerly Molex) are now sold by 4-Max as Maxlock. Handy source if you need.

Hi ED

Found the same issue myself. Never had one snap, but the tabs on a genuine Futaba plug are very long, and I have had some fold back on themselves while doing a pull test.

The ones from Blacksmith are only about half the length, and the terminals sized to suit. Makes for a very secure connection.

Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey Cottrell 2
Spelling

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Cottrell 2 said:

Hi Andy

Oddly enough I got my crimpers from Als' Hobbies too. Many years ago and still going strong. With that, I have found that the best suited terminals come from Blacksmith Products, here.

As you, I always inspect to job afterwards, but very rarely do I find one I'm not happy with, and, so far, never had one fail.

Highly recommended

Jeff

btw Ashlock connectors (Formerly Molex) are now sold by 4-Max as Maxlock. Handy source if you need.

Ashlock/Maxlock are sourced from Molex and are available from such distributors as Farnell.