Wot4 IC - To build or not to build?

Andy C

I agree with the others. For the money you’ll have a better plane if you build it yourself - and certainly a little reinforcement where you bolt on the u/c is beneficial. Don’t be tempted to over-power your Wottie either - a 46 hits the sweet spot - anything bigger (& therefore heavier) will detract from its handling. In fact my first, built the year after the build-it-yourself Wot4 first came on the market started life with a very tired Fuji40 on the front, subsequently replaced by a well used OS40, it was a sweetie! Loved it and flew it for years. Since then I’ve had two artfs and built another - so I know of what I speak! And now there’s a box full of balsa and veneered foam upstairs with a label reading Wot4 waiting for a quiet spell.  

Edited by Doctor Chinnery
Just a bit of polishing. ?

SO in a change of fortune, I have been offered an ARTF WOT4 with SC46 2 stroke and servos etc for £150.  I have yet to see it but am led to believe it is un-flown and engine unused.  Just wondered what others thoughts are on that.  It means I have access to an instant plane with everything already on it so save some pennies as well.

Thoughts?

If you struggle for time and really want a Wot4, then if the £150 opportunity is sound, undamaged, and new as you say, then I say get it, and beef up U/C and replace anything you are not happy with and get in the air. A kit, plus covering and bits, would come under that, but not much, plus you will have an engine as well, and save yourself a lot of time... No doubt a self build with the way you like it always wins if time and and budget permit IMO... but sensing your situation.. I'd get it bought and be done with it.. (Well, offer him £130!! ?

Edited by extra slim
typo

Do  you know the person selling it and trust their workmanship?  It might be new components but it's still second hand so I'd say it's ok but no bargain.  Check it's been put together square, then as ES said, reinforce the engine bulkhead and U/C mount.  Personally I think it's at the top of the price range for second hand (and 'it's all new' cuts no ice there).

24 minutes ago, extra slim said:

A kit, plus covering and bits, would come under that, but not much, plus you will have an engine as well, and save yourself a lot of time... No doubt a self build with the way you like it always wins if time and and budget permit IMO... but sensing your situation.. I'd get it bought and be done with it.. (Well, offer him £130!! ?

Not now it won't. 

Kit only seems to be £140 - 145 for the std kit, over £160 for the deluxe. Mind you, the artf is £150 - 160 now - the recent balsa shortage / brexit / covid crisis (delete where not applicable) seems to have had an impact on airframes in particular.?

Kim

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

SO in a change of fortune, I have been offered an ARTF WOT4 with SC46 2 stroke and servos etc for £150.  I have yet to see it but am led to believe it is un-flown and engine unused.  Just wondered what others thoughts are on that.  It means I have access to an instant plane with everything already on it so save some pennies as well.

Thoughts?

£150 for the model,engine and gear in is a bargain,check it out or take someone who is impartial,if it is as it says,take his hand off...even offer £140,cash in hand..... 

ken anderson...ne..1..bargain dept.

wow, are they really £140 for a standard Wot4?. crikey bobs. I shouldn't be surprised as after banjoing my Sebart 30E, I gleaned a new equivalent was £280, with Extreme Flight £330!!. yikes.. so it is being repaired!!... the old man loves jigsaws !! 

Isn't it funny how the hobby has swung, with balsa and covering appearing to have the most "value" being scarce, with electronics being almost the cheapest and most readily available. Simple case of supply and demand I assume. I'm even seeing IC engine second hand prices rising.. funny old game, this modelling lark

6 hours ago, Andy C said:

Thoughts?

Some years ago I bought an ARTF Wot4 in excellent condition with a lovely Irvine 46 engine (before I went 99% electric).  That was £100 and a bargain.  Once I'd set up the engine to suit the fuel I was using, it flew brilliantly until I dumb-thumbed it, stuffed it at speed onto our hard runway and totally destroyed it, and its engine.  That was probably 10 years ago so I'd guess £150 for an unflown example isn't wide of the mark (mine was one of my very rare really good buys). Assuming there's nothing obviously wrong I don't think you can go far wrong IMO.

Geoff

In my honest opinion I would go for the kit built Wot, I built my one about 20 Odd years ago and was definitely one of my most flown aircraft..250* flights, It never let me down..only plane I’ve ever landed backwards against a heavy wind in full control ? Also I can make it look unique when you cover it ATB ?