Edgly Optica

Basil

Convention, a glow motor set up is weighed with an empty tank. I don’t think I would much fancy a 10.5 to 11 lb model on a 60 2 stroke, plus 8 oz for fuel, and then try to fly it as a spotter look alike,  benign wing form or no benign wing form.

And a lot of work to find out.

Wing loading, 34 oz/sq.ft  eeek!

My B-25 Mitchell is scratch built in balsa. 

93" span.

9lb 11oz including 6s battery.

20 oz/sq.ft

Flies on 60 watts/pound

Admittedly it's four woops, twin props, but I'm sure the Optica (92.5" span) could fly with a single prop on not much more power.

Just keep the weight down.

P.S. my B-25 first flew in June '93, and I still have her.

Ray

The picture was from quite few year ago, the plane looks the same though ?

b25holds.jpg

Edited by eflightray

Basil

Wing loading is normally quoted as oz/sqft so the wing area 736 is divided by 144 =  5.1 sqft

Wing loading is thus 176/5.1 = 34 oz/sgft.

That figure is well into the 'sport' class plane wing loading rather than a slow flyer (or glider) where a wing loading could be as low as 10 oz/sqft according to this site.

72"? Are you omitting the centre section?

The wing area normally includes the full span so 92 x 11.5 = 1058 sq" or 7.3 sqft. That gives a loading of 176/7.3 = 24 oz/sqft.

Even so still no slow flyer.

Edited by Simon Chaddock

Sarik give the span as 92.5" making the scale aprox 1/5 therefore the wing area should be 1/25 of full size, which according to Wiki is 170.5 sq ft, making the model's area 6.82sq ft. At a weight of 176oz wing loading should be 25.8oz sq ft. 

High but not spectacularly so.  

9 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Basil

Wing loading is normally quoted as oz/sqft so the wing area 736 is divided by 144 =  5.1 sqft

Wing loading is thus 176/5.1 = 34 oz/sgft.

That figure is well into the 'sport' class plane wing loading rather than a slow flyer (or glider) where a wing loading could be as low as 10 oz/sqft according to this site.

72"? Are you omitting the centre section?

The wing area normally includes the full span so 92 x 11.5 = 1058 sq" or 7.3 sqft. That gives a loading of 176/7.3 = 24 oz/sqft.

Even so still no slow flyer.

Simon, yes I omitted the centre section. The measurement given by me were for the wing asy as given on the plan. There is the fuse section between them @ some 29",  this includes two wing stub(Wing proper) @ 7 1/2". 

Bas

It could be argued that the full size Optica is not really a slow flyer.

260 hp. Max weight 2900 lbs. Wing area 170 sq ft gives a wing loading of 17 lbs/sqft.

By comparison some true slow fliers.

Piper Super Cub (Similar wing area but 40% lighter)

150 hp. Max weight 1750 lbs. Wing area 178 sq ft gives a wing loading of 9.8 lbs/sqft.

Fieseler Storch (Similar weight and power but 60% more wing area)

240 hp. Max Weight 2920 lbs. Wing area 280 sqft gives a wing loading of 10.4 lbs/sqft.

Not a recognized slow flyer

Cessna 172 

160 hp. Max weight 2450 lbs. Wing area 174 sq ft. gives wing loading of 14 lbs/sqft.

Just saying.

Yes Simon, and it’s loiter speed is not many units above the stall speed, and on a three seater the pilot, loitering near stall, is in an outer seat, rather than in the middle, so he’s temped to do some of the observation work load as well. And it was sold as a a low speed observation aircraft.

Complicated way to do a poor job.

59 minutes ago, Gary Manuel said:

Doesn't wing loading take the tailplane into account as this also provides lift?

I don't know the answer, just wondered.

Disregarding tandem wing etc layouts, the tailplane's function is to maintain the mainplane's (AKA wings') required angle of attack.  

1 hour ago, Simon Chaddock said:

It could be argued that the full size Optica is not really a slow flyer.

260 hp. Max weight 2900 lbs. Wing area 170 sq ft gives a wing loading of 17 lbs/sqft.

By comparison some true slow fliers.

Piper Super Cub (Similar wing area but 40% lighter)

150 hp. Max weight 1750 lbs. Wing area 178 sq ft gives a wing loading of 9.8 lbs/sqft.

Fieseler Storch (Similar weight and power but 60% more wing area)

240 hp. Max Weight 2920 lbs. Wing area 280 sqft gives a wing loading of 10.4 lbs/sqft.

Not a recognized slow flyer

Cessna 172 

160 hp. Max weight 2450 lbs. Wing area 174 sq ft. gives wing loading of 14 lbs/sqft.

Just saying.

I had similar thoughts to Simon & came to the same conclusion.

I've added the Optica's data from Wiki to an existing spreadsheet showing a selection of light & pre WW2 aircraft that could probably be built as models to the scale weight & power as the full size.

Scale data.xls

Note I've adjusted the common scale to suit the 93" span Optica.

The true scale weight(s) & power for the Optica are, IMO impractical. 

1 hour ago, PatMc said:

Disregarding tandem wing etc layouts, the tailplane's function is to maintain the mainplane's (AKA wings') required angle of attack.  

Thinking about it, you are right. If the aeroplane is slightly nose heavy as most are, the tailplane would actually be pushing the tail downwards to keep the nose up.

The original article and plan in RC Scale Aircraft Quarterly 1988 Winter clearly state the wingspan as 81.5 inches, so I don't know why Sarik who were not the original publishers ( that was Argus/ MAP) should now state it's 92.5 inches!   It would appear to be an error unless someone measures the actual plan they supply and find it is actually 92.5.