LiPo Charging Mystery

Fun Flyer

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

A clubmate has a GT Power C60 charger.  When he connects one of his LiPo it starts to charge but then displays the message "Connection Break".
Thats well and good but, his batteries charge fine on my, more simple charger, and my LiPos charge fine on his charger!  The problem only appears charging his batteries on his charger!

Any ideas welcome.

The charger is analysing and reporting an interruption in the charge lead.

this can be poor sockets too, in the charger.

substitute the charge lead

Or test the broken charge lead with a multimeter.

Check the sockets and pins are not bent on charger and charge lead

Trying to cover all poor connection bases, as if all the batteries report a fault, then it is the lead.

Edited by Denis Watkins

I too had the same problem but it was a bit intermittent. It came down to a broken solder joint on the Deans connector on the charger lead. It was held in contact, most of the time, by the shrink wrap. It only took a momentary break for the charger to diagnose a problem. Now all gone away once the joint was re-soldered.  

8 hours ago, J D 8 said:

Had to re bend the tabs on my deans plug charge lead to improve contact. One would start the charge ok and walk away only for the charger to start bleeping saying no batt.

Same here, after a lot of use, also cleaning the contacts made a big difference.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Is it possible to buy balance boards for LiPo chargers? I ask because my Overlander RC-8S was giving a ‘Voltage Error’ when I tried to charge a 3S 1300. Tried another battery, just the same. A 2S one would charge so I suspected that the balance board might be the problem. After doing some continuity checks I found that one of the pcb tracks was open circuit. With the rubber sheet on the board underside pulled back I spotted a broken track (with a magnifier) and managed to bridge it with fine wire carefully soldered to the pins. I’m glad to say that the error message has gone away. What if I couldn’t have repaired the board?  It would have been a shame to have to replace a perfectly good charger. Are balance boards all the same or do they have different connectors to the charger? My Overlander board has balance connectors for 2 to 8S batteries although at the moment I just have 2 and 3 cell packs.