Glow Plug indicator.

Hi Keith

Glad to hear it's working.

I assume you're using the rx pack as a separate power source. I did find one site on the internet using a 9v PP3 battery.

This would be smaller and lighter than your pack. You can get re-chargeable ones, but given the low current the unit takes, I would guess even the non-rechargeable ones would last for months.

Worth a try?

Jeff

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Current, but really only an indication of no, a little or a lot of current. Don't believe the scale if it has one. Nevertheless usually proves quite adequate in letting you know if the glo plug is working.

Thanks BinB.   That will be enough of an indication for me, a lot better than no indication at all.
I've just bought one from the same seller today.  He's relisted it with all the same pictures, so I'm hoping he has more than one, and not about to cancel the sale on mine!

5 hours ago, Jeffrey Cottrell 2 said:

Hi Robin

Little puzzled.

The one you linked to was on an auction with 6 days still to run. How did you manage to buy it today?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, That's the odd thing, I won the auction to day at £1 + £3.20 P&P, yet straight away the seller listed wiht the same pictures and a starting price of £1.50.  I notice now its showing as sold with 1 bid.  Very strange!   Fingers crossed it arrives, as my glow plug has been in and out, to check its working, more times than the hokey cokey of late.
Robin

The glow starter with the built-in meter arrived today. 
The supplied nicad was showing less than 1V, but after a couple of hours on a 125mA charger, it made a plug glow.  The built-in meter seems a bit sticky, as the needle didn't appear to move when I connected the glowplug, but was then stuck in a different position when I disconnected it.  Maybe it just needs a bit of use to free it up?  I've left it on charge to put some decent charge in it, and will have another play with it this evening or tomorrow.
Anyway I'm a happy customer!

1 hour ago, Martin McIntosh said:

1V on arrival and a sticky meter? I would send it straight back where it came from.

For a quid plus postage, I didn't expect a lot.   Its not new, and the seller said he didn't have the charger, so its more or less as predicted.  Maybe once its shaking away on a running engine the meter will come to life.

Hi Guys, couple of things

Can anybody link me to one of those blue anodised glow sticks with meter. Found only one on e-bay, and that was £24.75.

Second anyone tried one of these

Can't have been around for long. Exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread back in July. Don't know of they have some sort of indicator when current is flowing, but betting they have.

Got an e-mail into the seller asking that.

We'll see

Jeff

On 04/11/2021 at 22:21, Jeffrey Cottrell 2 said:

Hi Guys, couple of things

Can anybody link me to one of those blue anodised glow sticks with meter. Found only one on e-bay, and that was £24.75.

Second anyone tried one of these

Can't have been around for long. Exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread back in July. Don't know of they have some sort of indicator when current is flowing, but betting they have.

Got an e-mail into the seller asking that.

We'll see

Jeff

Hi Jeff

The one I bought is 'one of those blue anodised glow sticks with meter'.  The meter is pretty crude, 'moving iron type' from what I recall of 'O' level Physics.   
It worked fine today, starting an engine very quickly.  Fortunately, as I predicted, once the engine was running, the meter started working properly.

There are a couple of glow sticks with meters for sale in this bundle of four on Ebay:  4x Glow starters

If the nicads in the glow starters don't charge up straight away, try flashing a large capacitor across the cell a few times.  I used a starting capacitor from an electric lawnmower on my first glow stick.  The one I've just bought charged up fine without the capacitor treatment.

Edited by Robin Colbourne
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Yet another glo starter to add to the collection, but this one might be of interest. Only took a couple of weeks from China. Thing is, it works from 6v to 24v. so same source as 3s LiPo for the pump and starter.

I have a couple of smaller motors I'm playing with, which hand start so don't need a starter.

Support gear then is a small LiPo which will run the pump and the glo starter. Kind of goes with my minimalist approach to carrying extra gear.

Only disappointment is it had a led indicator which comes on as soon as power is connected. If it came on when the plug started to draw current, it would have been perfect.

Ho hum

Jeff